AlmightyArjen

Combining the futuron monorail with a 7745 passenger train

Every selfrespecting Lego fan (AFOL's at least) knows the epic 6990 Futuron Monorail:

img_0395.jpg

As a kid I always wanted one and obviously never got one. I still want one but I think it's quite expensive and I'm more into trains.

So I came up with the idea to combine the looks of the beauty above with the (also vintage) 7745 passenger train:

7745.jpg

So a 7745 in the colours of the 6990. A white train with trans dark blue windows. The train windows could be replaced by 4x3 trans dark blue panels. With some extra features one could design a nice train.

What are your thoughts of it? I'm seriously considering to build it. The only thing that holds me back is the fact that it will need around 20 Bricklink orders and around 200 Euro to build it.. if you have good motivations and ideas, maybe I'll take the jump and order the whole shabang :)

Edited by AlmightyArjen

Sounds like a lot of fun. I remember building my own space trains all the time, and it was a blast mixing the two themes together. The classic white and blue of Futuron should look quite interesting on a regular city train. Have you thought about using LDD to try it out first before spending the money? Either way, I hope you'll share the result!

Yeah, no matter what, make a digital version first. You might be able to come up with a few cost saving parts substitutions that do not degrade the appearance. If you are not looking to be period purist, you might be able to save even more by substituting modern equivalents, e.g., 1x4x3 windows. Meanwhile, I'm partial to the older blue and yellow space colors, so if you are going to cad up a white one, why not go all the way and do blue too (grin). [if you are looking for someone to tell you this is a bad idea, you've come to the wrong place]

I thought about blue+trans yellow also. And although I like classic space a lot, I think the futuron colours would look better on this train. Maybe because it then still is a "normal" train instead of a space train. I don't know why. But that's also something I can find out with LDD. I'll let you know!

So I tried something in LDD, it's one of the first (serious) things that I've designed in LDD. Bare with me: I couldn't find all the parts (like the train wheels). LDD doesn't have dark trans blue as colour either so I had to choose light trans blue. I made one basic model and a bit advanced model:

g4rcTNz.png

What do you think? I guess I like the bars on the second one. Does anyone have some ideas how to make it a bit more "spacy"?

Wow thanks, I didn't know that part!

Then it would look something like this:

I5kL3a5.png

But I'm a bit worried about this angle: it seems it's a bit "open".

eOo2FtZ.png

I could raise the windscreen by one plate, but that means that the roof has to rise to which makes the whole thing a bit "bulky" perhaps. Any suggestions??

Replacing the doors with 4532.GIF & 4533.GIF would fill in some of the interior space. I think you could even move them forward one stud they wouldn't sit so far back into the 'cockpit.' Just an idea.

Cheers from Claremore, OK USA! :classic:

Dave

I couldn't find those boxes in LDD... What do you think about the angle above the door and the windscreen? Is there a way to smoothen it a bit more?

Good start with the LDD! Have you thought about a blue brick stripe down the side, keeping with the 7745's white stripe, while maintaining the Futuron coloring?

I'm waiting for your next step!

I like this project...

Patience... The first parts have been bricklinked :wink:

Good start with the LDD! Have you thought about a blue brick stripe down the side, keeping with the 7745's white stripe, while maintaining the Futuron coloring?

I just thought about it and I don't think blue would be the right colour: the Futuron set don't have blue in them either. But a stripe would be nice. The possibilities are a bit limited because of the horizontal bar under the windows (which I quite like). I've worked out two possibilities:

Hz3BZ4h.png

I think I prefer the left. What do you think?

That's sounsd as a good idea, so far I understand the idea of it.

To look it more spacy some other canopy would be cool I guess. Like that one from the old M-tron 6956 (looked on google, I'm not that expert) however, it's a bit my time haha.

Or maybe with the canopy extender.

Maybe some more wegdy' shape nose an idea?

Further, imo, for more spacy look, I would suggest to look to other 'space' models and put diffrent kind of computer-like slope/tiles on it, some discs for radar, antennas and that sort of stuff. Or. ... some rocket/jet engines stuff?

However ... maybe my idea is helpfull, or not, anyway, I like the idea and looking forward :)

Good idea Neonic and Ronenson! I've updated the Bricklink order with that wedge. Now there are two possibilities: use one wedge or two wedges:

48nK8M1.png

The problem with two wedges: how do I make it fit nicely to the bottom plate? As far as I know there isn't a wedge plate that goes from 6 studs to 4 studs in 2 studs with. Any suggestions??

Are you working in Extended mode in LEGO Digital Designer (black bar at the top)? I know some parts aren't available if you use 'normal' mode (blue bar at the top). If you know the part number, you can search by the part number using the search box at the top of the brick palette. You can also search by description. Sometimes it's easier to find a part using search than scrolling through the parts themselves.

Cheers from Claremore, OK USA! :classic:

Dave

Thanks for the advices, I found the parts in the extended mode indeed. Current design now:

gpPm760.png

This looks indeed better than the HE nose, which makes the train even one stud higher, using the current windscreen.

To give it a more spacey look, I've added some trans orange thingies. What do you all think of this?