Sign in to follow this  
Mark of Falworth

Venetian War Galley

[pid][/pid] 158B

12180433596_2ea1216431_c.jpg

Venetian War Galley by Mark of Falworth, on Flickr

Fast, powerful, maneuverable, and versatile, War Galleys dominated naval warfare in the Mediterranean from the 8th century BC until the development of advanced sailing warships in the 17th century.

This particular galley is commanded by the daring captain, Marco di Venezia.

He relentlessly seeks out the enemies of the republic!

Viva Venezia!

This was made for the Brickarms Forum Contest that ends on the 30th.

I know this isn't quite pirates or redcoats but I think it fits better here then the LOTR... Historic Forum. :wink:

12180239474_273c40bae3.jpg

12180023773_a8a5b978cf.jpg

12180058293_743418d866.jpg

Enjoy!

Good work.Stunning it looks big,how long is it from one end to the other?The island suits in the background.You ceratainly have an eye for detail.pirate_blush.gifpirate_sceptic.gifpirate_satisfied.gif:thumbup:

This looks awesome! What did you use for the shoulder pads on the captain?

[bloggedcp][/bloggedcp]

Splendid model of an underrepresented ship typ, great choice of colors, lovely details and characters, fantastic scenery.

Oh, I just can't get enough of that sort of water in MOCs. And how I wish TLC had an official part equivalent to Brickarms' universal clip...

pirate_wubnew.gif

Marvelous!

Good work.Stunning it looks big,how long is it from one end to the other?The island suits in the background.You ceratainly have an eye for detail.pirate_blush.gifpirate_sceptic.gifpirate_satisfied.gif:thumbup:

Thank you! pirate_laugh2.gif It's 50 or so studs long.

This looks awesome! What did you use for the shoulder pads on the captain?

[bloggedcp][/bloggedcp]

Thanks for the Blogging! pirate_classic.gif I used Star Wars cloth pauldrons.

Splendid model of an underrepresented ship typ, great choice of colors, lovely details and characters, fantastic scenery.

Oh, I just can't get enough of that sort of water in MOCs. And how I wish TLC had an official part equivalent to Brickarms' universal clip...

pirate_wubnew.gif

Marvelous!

Thanks a bunch! pirate_laugh_new.gif

Great job, Mark! I wasn't expecting this from you! Do you plan to build more within this theme or is this just a one time thing?

Thanks Louie! pirate_blush.gif I wish I had more time to build in this theme! But I have to get back to our project if I want to finish in good time.

Cool build, very unique!

However one thing that is bugging me is that your galley seems very short and stubby

But I am no expert on galleys so this might be how they looked in real life

?('',)?

Thanks! You are quite correct! It should be a good 40 studs longer and a good deal more bowed or curved. I didn't have enough parts to make it any bigger. pirate_wink.gif

Nicely done, the row deck must be very crowded with so many peddels sticking out pirate_laugh_new.gif .

Great display stand as usual.

You're one of my favourite builders on the internet - and again this is impressive (though strange to find a war galley amongst all those frigates :wink:)

My questions:

I know where my silver spanish helmets are from - how did you get yours?

Secondly: In your MOCs there is always this man in the barrel (?) - what does he stand for? (Maybe you've already explained this elsewhere a thousand times, but I haven't seen it, so I am curious).

Nicely done, the row deck must be very crowded with so many peddels sticking out pirate_laugh_new.gif .

Great display stand as usual.

Thanks Sebeus!

Hahaha! Yes, the oars are a little low. And unrealistic. If you unfocus your eyes and use your imagination it looks great! pirate_laugh_new.gif

You're one of my favourite builders on the internet - and again this is impressive (though strange to find a war galley amongst all those frigates :wink:)

My questions:

I know where my silver spanish helmets are from - how did you get yours?

Secondly: In your MOCs there is always this man in the barrel (?) - what does he stand for? (Maybe you've already explained this elsewhere a thousand times, but I haven't seen it, so I am curious).

Thanks a bunch!

I painted some black conquistador helmets silver, How did you get yours?? pirate_classic.gif

That is one character I always put in just for fun. He Originally started out selling used camels and he's been around ever since. pirate_wink.gif

Incredible build! I love the pic with the reloading of the cannons! I would love to see a close up of how you attached the oars...

Thanks!

The side view is pretty big on Flickr if you go to all sizes. I used Brickarms Monopods so they can move up and down! pirate_blush.gif

Very nice MOC. Both the ship, the minifigs, the water, the beach and the vegetation are amazing

I second what Lasse said above. The island, beach and water look so inviting, and that ship is scary as hell! Would hate to be snorkeling around that quaint island in the middle of nowhere, and pop my head up to see that galley at twelve o'clock!

Fantastic build! The only thing I can say is that it's a bit square. When I think of a war galley, I think of exactly what is here, except with a longer body.

You know what, to hell with it, it's too beautiful to pick at that. Stunning MOC, Mark! pirate_laugh_new.gif