Sign in to follow this  
LordBrickleton

New Ships Ahoy!

I have purchased 2 more hulls recently, and I'm hoping to convert them into fully completed warships. One will definitely become a 4-6 gun sloop, and he other will be a 20 gun frigate. I'm currently in search of appropriate names for both. I was considering making the frigate French and naming her l'aigle, (Eagle). Any help appreciated. Suggestions will be rewarded with a plaque on the ship if your name is chosen!

Hi there,

my candidates:

Frigate: Fleur de Lys,

Sloop: Mignonne.

If historical accuracy matters to you, here's more reading (on frigates).

Good luck to ye, me Lord!

Looking for a name for your ship, as a finishing touch, can be enjoyable.

At least I enjoyed it when I thought of one for my frigate.

My ship was called l'Unité at first, then l'Aigle (what a coincidence pirate_classic.gif ) and finally Vesta.

I chose Vesta because it wouldn't have been a very unlikely name. Roman gods were often a source of inspiration.

And on the other hand, there wasn't a frigate called Vesta at the time, so I didn't have to model it after a real ship.

So I had a look at the awesome page Kolonialbeamter linked here, and I thought Persévérante might be a good name.

Only in 1847 there was one French ship called that way, but not in the 18th century. It sure has a strong feeling.

At least this can be a good method to look for a name.

I often find it difficult to find a good name for a ship,

my last one, the Christine, well, that's actually my mother's name pir_laugh2.gif .

A name like this fits well for a tradingship, less for a warship.

As for your french ship, you could also call it 'Aquila' which is latin for eagle (it's also the name of the ship from the game Assassins Creed 3).

Hi - naming is actually quite difficult, I found. I wanted to name my brig after a bird of prey: something to convey a fast, small, maneuverable warship using a name that had never been used - I think EVERY British bird of prey has been though, so in the end I decided on the somewhat lighthearted 'Parrot' - as far as I know, never given to any Brit ship of warpir_laugh2.gif .

Anyway, back to the point - a speedy, maneouverable, elegant sloop/corvette I like 'Papillon' (Butterfly, I thinkpir_wacko.gif ) though bet it ha been used before!

For a more powerful frigate, I think something tougher! Maybe 'Cerberus' the three headed dog guarding the underworld in Greek mythology. On the eagle theme, 'Roc' was a giant mythical bird of prey, though perhaps a bit short... Anyway, lots of names in mythology as potentials. Good Luck!

Currently in the running for frigate is croissant with persévérante and kolonial with flour de lys and moomin with Cerberus . Thx for the ideas guys! Entries for the sloop are still being accepted!

Alright it looks like there was only one entry for sloop and that was kolonialbeamter with Mignonne. Congrats Kolonial!

And the winner for the Frigate is.... Admiral Croissant with Persévérante! Congrats Admiral!

Both winners will be given a small plaque on the forecastle of the respective ships. Thanks for competing!

Not sure if I'm too late, but for things like this, ships etc., I've always thought the name victory is a good name. If I had a French vessel I'd call it that, I think it's

victoire in French

- Zack