AlmightyArjen

Automated level crossing

Since I'm automating lego trains, an automated level crossing can't miss in the layout. So I built one with some spare parts. I first wanted to use the 7866 remote controlled level crossing as a basis but think that the bars don't go up/down very nice: too fast and sudden. Then I discovered two micro motors I had laying around and started designing the whole thing. There are two sensors: when the train activates the first sensor, the bars will be lowered. When the last wagon activates the last sensor, the bars will go up again. In the meantime the lights will go on/off.

The program is "intelligent": it can tell which sensor is activated first so the level crossing can be used in both directions. I wanted to draw the power for the system from the rails but unfortunately the motors of the trains produce a lot of electronic noise which disturbed the microcontroller and I wasn't able to filter it out.

Let me know what you think of it!

PS: for those who are interested, a how-it-works-video is work in progress ;)

Again a really cool automation project, I love it. I do get the impression that with the long train,the bars move up much faster after the last car than with the shorter trains.

Again a really cool automation project, I love it. I do get the impression that with the long train,the bars move up much faster after the last car than with the shorter trains.

Correct. I used some cheap megablocks sensors which normally don't detect the black wheels of the train, but only the white brick on the last wagon. But it turned out that a wheel of one of the last wagons already triggered the sensor. I saw this only when I had already uploaded the video! New sensors are on the way and will eliminate the problem ;)

Let me know what you think of it!

PS: for those who are interested, a how-it-works-video is work in progress ;)

I think this is great. Really adds a nice level of realism to a layout. And thanks for the how-it-works video. Could be really useful!

Edited by Doom2099

Definitely want to add automated crossings to my layout.. I don't know Arduino but my Dad makes model train controllers so I'm sure we will work it out!

Very nice! Though you've got to be careful, at this rate your toys will get so good at playing on their own that you'll soon be out of a hobby (grin).

Honestly, I want to break into your house and steal this setup. But unfortunately I'm on the wrong side of the ocean, so you and your train set will be safe . . . for now.

Well done.

Very nice job! Suggestion: Next step might be to hide the sensors as much as possible :)

This is really nice work, The barriers look the part, the speed is perfect. The use of Micro motors will make this very expensive I think.

Can the sensors be installed under the track looking up? then you would not see them at all

Thank you all for the nice comments, glad you like it!

Very nice! Though you've got to be careful, at this rate your toys will get so good at playing on their own that you'll soon be out of a hobby (grin).

Then I can finally lean back and relax

:laugh:

Very nice job! Suggestion: Next step might be to hide the sensors as much as possible :)

This is really nice work, The barriers look the part, the speed is perfect. The use of Micro motors will make this very expensive I think.

Can the sensors be installed under the track looking up? then you would not see them at all

I had these micro motors laying around but indeed: they are quite expensive these days. One could use technic M-motors too, but their speed is something like 10x faster so you need to gear them down which results in (even) a bigger housing for the bars.

I tried to fit the sensors on the sleepers between the rails but the sensors were just too high. I think they would fit if you raise the track by only one plate so it's doable. I wanted to change the sensors as these sensors don't work very well, if I've found sensors that work more secure (less sensitive to electrical noise) I'll try to fit them between the rails. I'll post my findings here (takes a while tough: sensors are still at dealextreme warehouse :look: )

Edited by AlmightyArjen

Have you tried capacitors to filter the noise? I hear that's a good solution for some filtering problems.

I guess you know what your doing, but did you use a large value electronic and a small value non polar to block both types of spikes?