sheo

[MOC] Terex RH400 Mining Excavator (Obsolete)

Keep on good building:)

Still waiting for parts I've ordered. And some more I need. I want to build that beast too - and I'm redrawing the model with MLCAD. For making instructions in next future. I'm now on the last step - the superstructure. A work for that you need steel nervs! I've never seen a compact building like this. It will need a large amount of substeps, callouts, buffer exchanges....and hundreds of instruction pages. But I try to use common parts to make follow the steps easier, for example I only use blue long pins, in the LDD pictures it's not easy to see, ones are black, the other blue, some in grey.... *huh*

Well, one day the instructions will be done - but I think not before summer :blush:

Greetings

Alex

Great progress, Therion, thanks for sharing photos! I especially like that you're keeping uncommon colors of pins and axles which makes the model look tidy.

Keep up your work with the instructions, Alex! It would be a second wind for the model.

Seriously? Is it acceptable / "legal" to build an impossible-to-disassembly model?

I just took my 42030 apart yesterday and found the small turntable (pendular suspension) too tricky to get out for unexperienced builders, at least I only managed using quite a bit of well aligned force.

If you have the patience to build this beauty, you should either have the patience to follow the building sequence in reverse order to disassemble it or just leave it assembled.

I agree, that so far this construction is by far the most "interlocked" one I have seen, everywhere a pin or an axle to fix and to double fix. I like it so much.

Seriously? Is it acceptable / "legal" to build an impossible-to-disassembly model?

No, we're just kidding. I have successfully disassembled my model with a hammer.

Edited by sheo

Thanx sheo! Yes, I happen to have lots of black 3L pins etc. laying around, so I figured why not...

Can't wait till it's weekend again, so I can continue building this amazing beast :thumbup:

More pics on monday, I hope. :wink:

Edited by Therion

No, we're just kidding. I have successfully disassembled my model with a hammer.

Phew! Good to know, although I'm probably years away from having enough parts for this model.

Edited by miguev

Some more progress:

img_0199.jpg

img_0203.jpg

This time I ran into some problems...

At the point where you have to insert the first white 16L axle, it got really stuck at about 2/3, because of too much friction. I had to take apart almost the whole thing to get it back out. I replaced the axle with 2 8L ones, which I could insert from both sides.

Second problem is the wiring, it's a nightmare... There's almost no space to guide them, and it's very hard to tell home much length you need at the connector end. So one of the pf-lights is now too short to reach the appropiate connector... I'm not sure if I want to fix this or not...

I think you really should build this model two times... second time will be so much easier :grin:

More pictures here

Same Problem for me! I dismantled the superstructure because of wiring! I will make a new start after ski holiday. Hopefully the second time will be much easier.

This time I ran into some problems...

At the point where you have to insert the first white 16L axle, it got really stuck at about 2/3, because of too much friction. I had to take apart almost the whole thing to get it back out. I replaced the axle with 2 8L ones, which I could insert from both sides.

Second problem is the wiring, it's a nightmare... There's almost no space to guide them, and it's very hard to tell home much length you need at the connector end. So one of the pf-lights is now too short to reach the appropiate connector... I'm not sure if I want to fix this or not...

I think you really should build this model two times... second time will be so much easier :grin:

I think this project will be my biggest challenge ever made - in making instructions and in building. Even only creating the CAD file is getting *huh*:wacko: , hope I would have still the courage to make the instructions. And maybe I need some help from our instruction masters...

@therion: Please keep on document your work about the building process. It helps to get some alternate steps for building. For the axles, I take this suggestion to change it in the CAD file, further, it's easier to take two 8L axles than buy extra 16L axles :wink:.

Greetings

Alex

I used something like that to push axles. :tongue:

Edited by sheo

I used something like that to push axles. :tongue:

I used this tool a couple of days ago. I needed to push out an axle I had pushed in too far :)

2606a3c6-505f-4800-a22e-6d70092701ad_zpsebf33d0e.jpg

I needed to use this tool(s). Specially the pliers, to grap some nasty axle. And the bottle opener to push some axle to the end position.

640x640.jpg

For a moment, I was tempted to share a picture of how my favorite tool ended. Well, not one I used, but one of the same family... two were extracted with pliers, the other two with surgery, and the one thought of sharing didn't come out in one piece :D

sheo's tool is my fav here though, very ingenious.

Made some good progress last weekend! ;-)

I decided to break down the superstructure to the point where I could adjust most of the electric wires. Knowing beforehand where they had to go was really helpful.

One problem I encounterd was de routing of the cables from the receivers (see page 1600). At this time it seemed there was plenty of room, but later on when installing the m-motor for the fake engines and fans it became clear that this wasn’t so… (see page 1647). So I had to reroute one of the receivers (#1) to the left. This also meant that the placing of the receivers was different than stated in the manual. Because I had to place receiver #1 all the way to the left, I couldn’t connect it to the right batterybox, because it was too far away, so I connected it to the left one. Luckily The extension wire for the lights was long enough to reach the right battery-box (see pages 1810-1813), so everything worked out ok. I connected all the motors randomly to the receivers btw, because of the available length of some wires were just too short to reach the receiver where it supposed to go.

Anyway, I tested all functions, and everything works ok! Except for maybe the tracks are not really running smoothly for some reason, they seem to stutter a bit.

Getting the rear cover on also was a challenge (page 1989) btw…

I’m at page 2062 at the moment, 400 to go. So I guess next weekend it will be finished.

img_0209.jpg

img_0214.jpg

img_0215.jpg

edit: just noticed I made a mistake with the axle sticking out of the back. I used a 8L axle with stop instead of a 4L one...

More pictures here (when public)

Edited by Therion

Except for maybe the tracks are not really running smoothly for some reason, they seem to stutter a bit.

Have you ensured the gaps between the bushes and the housing along the drivetrain? Also try driving in the opposite direction.

Edited by sheo

I see that the building will be a real challenge. I'm still on work by creating the CAD file - a work which will take long time an patience. And as I see it will be a horror to place the wires - is anybody a volunteer to make the Lsynth parts? :blush:

It will help a lot in most cases. Hope to build this beast soon, I think I've all parts now.

Greetings

Alex

I can really recommend to not use LSynth, but use LDCad to generate the wires and other flexible parts. You have to look up a few videos on youtube and try it a bit out and if needed ask for help here on EB (it might be a bit weird at first), but when you get used to it it's 10000x better than LSynth. The only "drawback" is that the file(size) can get quite a bit bigger than with Lsynth, but the difference nowdays between 5mb or 15mb is nothing.

[...] (see page 1600). [...] (see page 1647).

[...] (page 1989) btw… [...]

I’m at page 2062 [...] 400 to go.

Wow! I can't imagine these phrases being used in any other MOC! :laugh:

Good progress! And again; fantastic MOC! :thumbup:

Finished! :classic:

Kudos to Sheo! I can't imagine how difficult it must have been designing this beast.

Despite it's size and weight, all functions work seemingly without effort.

img_0221.jpg

img_0229.jpg

Good luck to everyone who is trying to build this! It's a real challenge but it's definately worth it. :grin:

More pictures here.

Very nice Therion, currently collecting the required parts for this build and I am sue your build progress updates will sure come in handy when I come the build stage.