sheo

[MOC] Terex RH400 Mining Excavator (Obsolete)

I've now started to build the excavator, at first the base. Soon I've seen that I've to reorganize completely the building/part steps. You must have a very good look to the instructions, and place the parts at the right order, otherwise you risk, that you cannot disassemble some parts (for ex. axles full pushed in). So I've decided to make more steps with less parts to make easier to follow the building process.

Normally I make somme little modifications while the building process, but I try to to get the original build, otherwise it will not be sheo's model any more. The density is amazing, never seen a such compact model.

I've still some parts to buy and made a new bricklinking.

And there are new problems with some MLCAD commands, maybe I need some support from our LDRAW Masters in this forum :blush:. For ex. how to show in instructions a provisional part, and remove it some steps later. The buffer exchange command gives not the result needed, the RETREIVE command let disappear all parts from the steps before. *huh*

Greetings

Alex

You do need to use buffer exchange to place some temporary parts (if I understand you correctly).

Make sure that in the step that you want to retrieve the parts, that the retrieve command is the first thing, before the other parts in the step.

Here's some more info about buffer exchange and ghosting (don't forget to click next page :wink: ).

That's I need to build to create the instructions. And maybe I'll not finish them before autumn.

If I may be so bold as to ask, what's the planned difference between your instructions and the existing gigabyte file? Making some steps more clear? Reducing file size? ... I've only just built the base for this, but it's been ok so far - i'm wondering where i'm about to get stuck :laugh:

Cheers

If I may be so bold as to ask, what's the planned difference between your instructions and the existing gigabyte file? Making some steps more clear? Reducing file size? ... I've only just built the base for this, but it's been ok so far - i'm wondering where i'm about to get stuck :laugh:

At first: The file may be smaller because I combine more parts per step to reduce steps,

Secondly: They'll be clearer, I'll add several arrows resp. notes to show where to put the parts. In sheo's file it is sometimes very difficult to see where the parts belong, you risk to forget some parts. Myself I'm not sure if I have found all parts which belong to the model. That maybe I'll see while building.

I build it as it is, but in some rare cases I can use another parts if the build process allows and if it's not visible. The build takes long time and patience, and is sometimes rather tricky by connecting parts, because the model is so dense.

Greetings

Alex

Captain Dee, thank you for paying homage to the real prototype - it is truly a masterpiece in engineering!

I've only just built the base for this, but it's been ok so far - i'm wondering where i'm about to get stuck :laugh:

Unfortunately, only the instructions for the base were done with LPub, the rest are hand-made.

They'll be clearer, I'll add several arrows resp. notes to show where to put the parts. .........the model is so dense.

Thanks Alex - I look forward to seeing them, along with many others I think :classic:

Finally done!

I've made few errors and disassemble and rebuild the superstructure 4 times, but I did it!

For me this is the best technic moc.

A very special thanx to Sheo for create this model and for share instructions with all of us.

11218493_10204078345022126_200348409920447995_n.jpg?oh=07ddd90dccedc95ce8a9c4b897851786&oe=55D5EC3E

This has got to be the most ingenious/elegant use of this part, as support for the track sprocket. Bravo!

44225.jpg?0

Can you give us a description how to mount it? I've 4 of them...

@scapuc: Great! And you've the same problem having enough thin liftarms, I've to wait to receive the bricklinked parts befor I can continue with the base. And I don't have enough 5L axles with stop, so I've to use the standard 5L axles instead. And there's no need

15461.jpg?2

for that part, you can use a 3L liftarm fixed with two pins :wink:

Greetings

Alex

Edited by afol1969

@scapuc: Great! And you've the same having enough thin liftarms, I'd to wait to receive the bricklinked parts befor I can continue with the base. And I don't have enough 5L axles with stop, so I've to use the standard 5L axles instead. And there's no need

15461.jpg?2

for that part, you can use a 3L liftarm fixed with two pins :wink:

Greetings

Alex

Thank you Alex. I've took few month to have all parts! Any way I didn't have all ones, but I've replaced with similar (liftarm thin in different colors, hose rigid with axels).

Congratulations, Scapuc! :thumbup:

Again thank you for this amazing moc. I'm thinking I can't build anything else after this one!

Edited by Scapuc

Finally I've finished this wonderful MOC:

terex1.jpg

It was a real challenge to place the parts and especially the electrical wires, but I arrived to do it, so I can say: It IS possible to place them accurate even at the first moment it seems to be impossible. But I have made a few modifications (not visible from outside) to get a little more place for the wires, for example I used 3L pins instead of pins with bushes.

Also I used more common parts to avoid rare and exotic parts.

Now the building process:

For the base I used an provisional shorter axle fixed with bushes to hold the worm gear in place. So it was a more comfortable build. I made some few modifications inside, I replaced most 5L thin arms with cross axle holes with some without axle holes.

For the boom there was no further problem to build it.

But the superstructure was the biggest challenge. The first, it wasn't a good handling with a 12L axle inside. So later I replaced with a shorter provisional axle. But you have to do it very carefully, for that the gears rest in place. Once done it, it was a comfortable handling while building. But as I came to finish it, I noticed that I've accidentally forgotten to place the boom first.

So what to do? Disassemble the superstructure? No way! So I searched to modify the boom - and found a solution :classic: I changed some parts, and later I arrived to place and fix the boom. It isn't easy, but it works. Just used 2 axle pins an 2 pin/axle connectors - and it's done! And it's stable enough because the boom is hold by the actuators/lift arms. It cannot glide out from universal joints.

So now you can build three separate parts for the excavator, and that allows a lot more comfortable building process.

To prepare the superstructure for connecting to the base, you have to take out again very carefully the provisional axle out and replace it with the 12L axle. Then proceed to connect to the base as shown at blakbird's suggestion.

Working test: All functions work well at the first moment, so I'd connected the wires at the right places. But due to the weight of the construction, sometimes you hear gear crunching while driving, so you've better not to drive the excavator on carpets.

Now I can organize the instructions, but there will be still a lot of work to do. But a complex construction like this deserves good instructions.

And special thanks to sheo who is a real technic master, and to blakbird with the very helpful documentation. :thumbup:

Greetings

Alex

Edited by afol1969

great news afol :)

Now the rest of us need to work out if we'll rebuild it or not with your little changes.

Sheo - any thoughts on a rope shovel to sit alongside this hydraulic one? :grin::wub:

great news afol :)

Now the rest of us need to work out if we'll rebuild it or not with your little changes.

I have to note that I didn't modify Sheo's construction in a huge way, and it was never my intention. It is 99,9% the same construction as sheo's. But in most constructions I find solutions for improvements. In this example I used more common parts, but took worth not to modify the design. But I think, a masterpiece like this excavator deserves to get be built by everybody. For example: If not really necessary, I used grey 5L cross axles instead of dark tan 5L axles with stop, 2L liftarms instead of two thin 2L liftarms (to make less friction for long axles, 4L axles instead of tan axles with center stop and so on....

Greetings

Alex

I think I did a few of those on-the-fly changes as well. A lot of 4L instead of 4L with stop, two axle8 instead of one axle16 to make installation simpler. I thought about a change to the axle12 centre drive as well, but ended up making a build frame to sit the body on with the axle hanging in the middle.

Congratulations on completing the build, Alex! Your efforts give me inspiration!

Edited by sheo

Hi all,

Finally I can present you a first impression of the instructions. There are more than 300 pages, an the file has >205mb, so even I compress it, I cannot upload it on Bricksafe (file too large), so I can only give the link in my dropbox:

***UPDATE*** 10.12.2015 : Now with part lists and electrical scheme

PDF file: https://www.dropbox.com/s/uznj7l2jhombeph/TerexTH400.pdf?dl=0

LDRAW file here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/djg2ax66e977tch/TerexTH400.mpd?dl=0

There is still some work to do especially the tracing of the electrical wires, notes, etc.

But the step/part order is accurate, and with some help of Sheo's LFX instructions, you can build it.

Any suggestions which I can add to the instructions are welcome :classic:

Greetings

Alex

Edited by afol1969

What a great machine.

Only downside, it is in minifig scale, I don't do minifig scale.

The rest beautiful

@ afol1969 I've looked over your draft, it looks really great. Looking forward to your additional notes and wiring tracks before I "dive in" and start building. :thumbup: :thumbup:

@ Sheo Thank-you for sharing this masterpiece with all builders, as you know I've had the bucket and arm assembled for future completion. ( while acquiring the remaining parts over the last year )

Now I can continue to finish this amazing MOC and include it in my public displays for everyone to enjoy! :grin:

800x1067.jpg

Finally I can present you a first impression of the instructions. There are more than 300 pages, an the file has >205mb, so even I compress it, I cannot upload it on Bricksafe (file too large), so I can only give the link in my dropbox:

https://www.dropbox...._draft.pdf?dl=0

I've generally been able to get a smaller file size/page ratio, though I couldn't explain why. When you are ready, if you want to share your LDraw file with me I can try exporting with my settings and see if we get a more reasonably sized file.

Dam you Alex, Now I have no excuses to get on with this model. :wink:

I built the under carriage a while back when you released your first pdf for it and ordered most of the parts.

I take it that should still be good to go? No changes there?

Anyway, top job Alex,you seem to have the same taste in models as I have and I always enjoy building from your instructions. :thumbup:.

That truck looks familiar! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Well..........."my bad!" (as they say) Always like to promote excellent MOCs whenever I can. :innocent: