Yawgmoth

2015 LEGO Pirates Rumors and Discussion

Unfortunately I can hardly see the point of the chess set when they cheaped out and didn't give us actual bluecoat infantry for pawns. What the heck are these guys without hats or backpacks (or even the otherwise ubiquitous epaulets?!) supposed to be? Not one of the better chess sets we've gotten, not even much use as an army builder since I have little use for a bunch of additional torsos without matching accessories.

I think the chess set is going to be very popular. Yes, hats on the bluecoat side would have been great, but it gives you a lot of minifigs for a good price, and kids will be able to play out a lot of scenarios. In addition to the minifigs, you get a lot of useful parts, especially the 16x16 plates.

For anyone who cant see the point of this chess set, consider that maybe the point is not for it to be an army builder but, you know, for playing chess.

For anyone who cant see the point of this chess set, consider that maybe the point is not for it to be an army builder but, you know, for playing chess.

Have any of you ever actually played chess with one of these sets?

Considering I already own 2 chess sets and don't have a lot of spare cash on hand, no. If I did? Yeah absolutely. I've always wanted a lego chess set (though I'd personally prefer a castle chess set).

I do plan on teaching at least one son to play chess using this set, but there is no reason to restrict it to that role. 20 minifigures is a lot more than many kids have in their possession and would make for a nice "battle" in a play session. Where else could you currently get 20 minifigs for $60 (with other parts)? I think that is one reason why the set will be so successful, and that is it is open to multiple possibilities. People will buy it for different reasons.

Thanks for the review!

No. The key obstacle to me is that I constantly have to translate what the figures are standing for. So the "map thing" is ... and this keeps me from judging how good or bad a chess position is.

No. The key obstacle to me is that I constantly have to translate what the figures are standing for. So the "map thing" is ... and this keeps me from judging how good or bad a chess position is.

Good point!

They could make it work if they would pay more attention to the different characters, like a pirate captain as king and seahorses and such..

Even as a chess set it's less than ideal with pretty mediocre/difficult to discern rooks/bishops/knights.

Even as a chess set it's less than ideal with pretty mediocre/difficult to discern rooks/bishops/knights.

This is true. If you gave me the pieces for each side and asked me to identify the rooks, the knights and the bishops, the only ones I'd get correct would be the Soldier Rooks. They look like towers. For the pirates I would have chosen the stone skulls as the rooks. I would have chosen the catapult as the Pirate Knight (because it is martial) and the map for the Soldier Bishop. When I first saw the box I actually thought the photographer had got all the pieces mixed up.

Having said that, it's definitely not the first novelty chess set I've seen with ambiguous parts.

Having said that, it's definitely not the first novelty chess set I've seen with ambiguous parts.

This.

Yeah I'll admit its not the best chess set ever, but its still far from a pointless set (which is all I was saying).

Edited by 2maxwell

No question there. As far as the Lego chess sets go, though, this is probably the biggest offender in that area (at least from what I've seen).

That said, the others are generally Castle which has the advantage of containing a lot of the basic components that chess pieces are based on.

Guess the chess set is really popular. On the US site, it is stating the set is out of stock with an expected ship date of 13 September 2015 It looks like someone is after a lot of minifigs.

Just a question guys...between the combined sets 70410-70412 and 70409-70411,which one is better??

That's a great question!

I've had the luxury of putting together each of the sets - excluding 40158: Pirates Chess Set, which is still sitting in its box.

So, here's my take/opinion on the matter:

70411: Treasure Island is probably the best stand-alone set of the line.

While small, it's still a very cool set with great features and a good cast of characters.

However, adding 70409: Shipwreck Defense - the weakest set of the product line - doesn't add much to the overall combination.

I think that 70410: Soldiers Outpost and 70412: Soldiers Fort are the better combination.

They both create a more complete soldier's fortification and are thematically very well matched.

If anything, the grouping of the two shows how they could have been bundled together as a single set.

Having said that: I really love this year's Pirates sets.

I only hope The LEGO Group continue to make more sets in the line - especially a Bluecoat vessel.

That's a great question!

I've had the luxury of putting together each of the sets - excluding 40158: Pirates Chess Set, which is still sitting in its box.

So, here's my take/opinion on the matter:

70411: Treasure Island is probably the best stand-alone set of the line.

While small, it's still a very cool set with great features and a good cast of characters.

However, adding 70409: Shipwreck Defense - the weakest set of the product line - doesn't add much to the overall combination.

I think that 70410: Soldiers Outpost and 70412: Soldiers Fort are the better combination.

They both create a more complete soldier's fortification and are thematically very well matched.

If anything, the grouping of the two shows how they could have been bundled together as a single set.

Having said that: I really love this year's Pirates sets.

I only hope The LEGO Group continue to make more sets in the line - especially a Bluecoat vessel.

I agree. The Soldiers Outpost and Soldiers Fort go great together! Just combined the two last week. And, the Treasure Island is the best set that can stay alone. I really loved this line of lego Pirates, I hope they continue it either by more sets, or ending it off with a Bluecoat ship (or both)! It's only fair, the Redcoats and Pirates have gotten a ship, so it's the Bluecoats turn in the first time in a long while.

Edited by James Wellington

Thanks for your opinion LOMIS.Might as well buy the Treasure Island and the Fort when I get the chance.And I too hope for a Bluecoat ship,you know it's kinda unfair for them to go up against the pirates without a ship of their own pirate_laugh_new.gif

And I too hope for a Bluecoat ship,you know it's kinda unfair for them to go up against the pirates without a ship of their own pirate_laugh_new.gif

I am hoping for a Bluecoat ship too!

To everybody who wants to buy the chess set. The set is sold out in germany and it looks a bit like it will never come again.You can t order it. It is only a possibility but maybe TLG just made amount X and will never produce it again. If it is still available in your country buy it, before someone else do it. I am very glad to own onepirate_classic.gif .

Well, just got my Bounty and annoyingly enough, LDD was right, you can't place the cannons onto the jumper stud without turning the 1x2 cheese slope around. Ironically if you turn it around the flag has something to stop against and doesn't fold into the cannon port :p

Chris

Well, just got my Bounty and annoyingly enough, LDD was right, you can't place the cannons onto the jumper stud without turning the 1x2 cheese slope around.

Really? I didn't have this problem at all.

Have we had any word on polybags for this series?

Really? I didn't have this problem at all.

Yeah the cannon at max elevation does not fully seat on the 2x2 jumper as designed nor can you lower the elevation of the cannon without raising the cannon base as stock. In other words, it is slightly out of system :)

Press a cannon base down in the stock configuration then try wiggling it, it will wiggle because it is only half seated on the jumper and the cannon is being held up at max elevation and won't move down without dislodging the cannon. Now flip the cheese slope around so it slopes into the ship instead of away from the ship and place the cannon. You can now seat the cannon base and it doesn't wiggle on the jumper and you can raise and lower the end of the cannon slightly.

Another Brick Bounty tip, switch the DBG 2x2 tile and LBG 2x2 jumper the cannons sit on moving the jumper to the inbord position, you then have 3 positions you can sit the cannon at allowing you to close the cannon port covers. (and pivot in it's full inboard position.. reloading maybe? lol)

IMG_2439_zpsc30lrfzu.jpg

Chris

Edited by clm

To everybody who wants to buy the chess set. The set is sold out in germany and it looks a bit like it will never come again.You can t order it. It is only a possibility but maybe TLG just made amount X and will never produce it again. If it is still available in your country buy it, before someone else do it. I am very glad to own onepirate_classic.gif .

Already sold out? Wow.

Lucky, I got one too pirate_laugh2.gif