Yawgmoth

2015 LEGO Pirates Rumors and Discussion

I hate it when they bring a theme (like this one) from the dead give it one wave and then forget it completely.I bet my money that's what's going to happen but I hope I'm wrong.

I have a little faith. Think about it, both hobbit and lotr are done, so that leaves a pretty big hole in the Lego universe. We know that castle isn't coming back until next year, so I'm hoping pirates gets a 2nd wave later this year. I really want a proper blue coats flag ship...

I have a little faith. Think about it, both hobbit and lotr are done, so that leaves a pretty big hole in the Lego universe. We know that castle isn't coming back until next year, so I'm hoping pirates gets a 2nd wave later this year. I really want a proper blue coats flag ship...

Well I'm betting my money that we might see a blue coat ship next year but I don't know about a second wave even thought if we do get one that would be fantastic news.

Pirates came out in 2009, the Imperial Flagship came out in 2010, and in 2011 we had the POTC: On Stranger Tides theme...

Now it's 2015 and we have more pirates, and again a POTC film in two years time...

Not necessarily a prediction of the future, and there's no precedent (as far as I'm aware) of a licensed theme being revived many years after it has finished. But until a new pattern emerges, I'm assuming this is how Pirates 2015 is going to play out.

Despite it's simplicity, Pirate Treasure Hunt is actually a very worthwhile parts back. The 2009 equivalent, Pirate Building Set, only comes with the sword, jewels, hat and exclusive torso & head as useful Pirate-themed parts. Pirate Treasure Hunt has all of these things (except the head isn't exclusive) as well as black treasure chest, chain, barrel, shark, goblet, boat, oars, gun, exclusive map, exclusive flag and skeleton with new bandanna. It also has more generic building parts that are useful to Pirate MOCs, including an exclusive printed wall piece. Pirate Building Set came with three times as many pieces, but they're all pieces that can be picked up almost anywhere.

I have that older set. What was hard to see from the box is that the shirt print includes rips, making it far less reusable. The new set has a far more versatile torso. I will be picking this one up, but probably on Amazon to add it to the order for an important birthday.

I have that older set. What was hard to see from the box is that the shirt print includes rips, making it far less reusable. The new set has a far more versatile torso. I will be picking this one up, but probably on Amazon to add it to the order for an important birthday.

Personally I like this 'unique' aspect of the older torso, it is not so useful for army builders but since I prefer a small set of individual pirates it works well for me. What I dislike is the similarity between some of the torsos, in particular the one with the brown vest and the anchor tattoo, but also the one with the blue coat over the red and white striped top. They look too samey for my 'individual' pirates.

What I'd actually like to see is a pirate theme with pirates in the style of the CMF 'Swashbuckler'. It's a different template for what pirates can look like, that isn't all striped shirts and eye patches and peg legs and hook hands and bandannas.

Pirates came out in 2009, the Imperial Flagship came out in 2010, and in 2011 we had the POTC: On Stranger Tides theme...

Now it's 2015 and we have more pirates, and again a POTC film in two years time...

Not necessarily a prediction of the future, and there's no precedent (as far as I'm aware) of a licensed theme being revived many years after it has finished. But until a new pattern emerges, I'm assuming this is how Pirates 2015 is going to play out.

I can live with another PoTC round after this 2015 wave of Pirates. At least the last PoTC gave us two pretty good (and very different, which cannot be said about this new one) ships with lots of details. And some of the other sets were quite decent as well, although (as licenced sets goes) a bit overpriced.

Just bought two Shipwreck Defense's, and I am pretty pleased with it! The new bandana's are greatly welcomed; I love them!

My only nitpick is the Bluecoat's epaulettes; they would be better in red than white!

Why is the chess table turned 90 degrees? At the right hand of each player, there should be a light field, not a dark.

I would imagine it is designed to have the scenes in front of the players instead of to each side, although changing the layout with LEGO is a fairly simple thing... :)

In fact on the back of the box it shows the playing field lifts in quarters I bet you can sit it down in the official orientation or the LEGO orientation fairly easily. I would not consider the deviation shown as that big of a deal.

Chris

Edited by clm

Thanks for the link LOMIS. I really don’t understand those chess sets, I mean which kid would get an awesome bunch of minifigs and parts and use them to play a boring chess game? A kid would just build improvised ships and forts and send all those figs to battle… I know I would.

Woohoo. Just got 70412 and 70411, both great sets! My local toy store got every set except the big ship, which should be on shelves somewhere next week. Didn't have enough money to buy all the sets they had, but these two are great! Love the blue soldiers, the pirates faces and torsos look very nice, those new bandana things not so much. Gonna have lots of fun with them, fighting against the redcoats from a few years ago.

EDIT: btw, I live in Amersfoort, Netherlands, found them at the Intertoys Emiclear. Some of you might be interested.

Edited by Alfadas

Doesn't seem like they're coming to Sweden </3 Can't find them apart from on lego's web shop.

Same in Denmark; no signs of them in shops and nothing in the catalogue. Very peculiar.

I bought all the new Pirate sets a few days ago, including the ship. I actually picked up 2 sets of the soldiers forts, and 3 sets of the soldiers outposts.I combined them all together, modding them into a pretty nice sized fort/outpost. The bluecoats are nice and mixed with the revolutionary collectable minifigures, they all look cool together. I don't like that Lego reused the same Pirate heads WAY TO MANY times, though.

Edited by Dunedain

The Chess set is only $60- a steal in my eyes... :wub:

16467356417_61ba9c308f_z.jpg

I haven't played chess in forever nor do I have enough room for it, so I skipped it for now.

Saw all of the Pirates sets (minus the Chess set) in the North Austin, Texas Toys R Us.

All were retail price except the ship (70413), which was $109.99 - $10 more than list.

I already ordered the Brick Bounty but they will not start shipping until March 5th... It is a new pirate ship after all and therefore a must-have for me, although judging from the pictures I've seen I'd say it's actually a bit worse than Brickbeard's Bounty. But I'll wait with my final judgement until I get one.

Edited by Dreamweb

The chess set is not availabe at Lego.com from Germany. Does somebody know where I can get it. Maybe in the netherlands?

I already ordered the Brick Bounty but they will not start shipping until March 5th... It is a new pirate ship after all and therefore a must-have for me, although judging from the pictures I've seen I'd say it's actually a bit worse than Brickbeard's Bounty. But I'll wait with my final judgement until I get one.

I hope you will do a review of it for us. I'm hesitant to pick it up after the last couple of disappointing ships, but I'm loving the blue coat return.