Yawgmoth

2015 LEGO Pirates Rumors and Discussion

70411 Treasure Island - 1.jpg

Oh, wow, really enticed by Skull Island! default_wubnew.gif The female pirate looks fantastic, and the new crocodile pieces look really nice and updated! default_satisfied.gif I'm really liking the smaller sets of this line, they're legitimately really good! thumbup.gif

Skull Island looks good, with great figures. Thanks for the pics!

Looking good, a little disappointed to see that there are definitely no gold coins in the theme this year, but the lady pirate looks really good with the unique hair piece, face and torso. Rather ambivalent about the eye details on the crocodile, to be honest. Also I was really hoping for a new version of the parrot, never really liked the 2009 version.

Its a pitty this line doesn't have any treasure in it (as far as I can see). I do like the idea of using the little gun piece as a smaller canon (for those places where a full-size canon would be too large or expensive for the set)

The Skull Island looks really awesome, too bad it is Lego store exclusive?pirate_look.gif (If I understood rightpirate_laugh_new.gif )

Female pirate is top class, change her legs to white and head to an other fitting female then it is spot on with the old 1989 pirate wench.

Anyone notice the THREE masted ship in the background (same as on the box of 'The Brick Bounty')? And it's got its 'last' mast right on top of the captain's cabin... just like on the old CC... If talking remake, this could be the highlight. Probably just dreaming here...

YES, we noticed, that would be SWEEEETpirate_devg1.gif but as you said probably just dreams but good ones pirate_wink.gif

This has been discussed before but what is up with those white epaulettes.

That is the only con I find on the solider minifigures, I don´t like them, don´t fit on regular soliders IMO.

But I have plenty of extra red ones, so it those not matter pirate_laugh2.gif

The Skull Island looks really awesome, too bad it is Lego store exclusive?pirate_look.gif (If I understood rightpirate_laugh_new.gif )

Is it? I hope not if it is it will be really hard to get hold on for a fair price in Sweden.

Great reuse of Fortune Teller headpiece, and most figures have the CMF quality. Wish to see another wave coming with more original set ideas.

Edited by Dorayaki

Skull Island will probably be a retailer exclusive. The similar set from 2009 was a retailer exclusive too. For example, here in the US, only one store carries the retailer exclusive, usually Toys R Us.

The crocodile eye printing isn't in the practical image, but the redesign of it is nice. The 45* angle piece in reddish brown is nice to have. I may have to get a few of those. It appears we are getting the classic map printing on a tan tile. Lots of other good parts. A definite buy, possibly multiples.

Great reuse of Fortune Teller headpiece, and most figures have the CMF quality. Wish to see another wave coming with more original set ideas.

Agreed, It is a new color for the hair wrap, but I love that piece.

I generally only enjoy the licensed and CMF minifigs for the detail on the torsos. Most of these minifigs will fit with my CMF Bluecoats and the swashbuckler.

I'm glad to see Pirates has made an entry back once again, it's just a shame the majority of the sets are just redesigns of previous sets. Another irk I have is I remember back in 2009 buying 6241-1 Soldiers Fort and I loved it, very well built, 6 minifigures, four of which were Red coat soldiers and a lovely Admirals uniform and 367 pieces.

This year they've released the same set idea except you get 124 less bricks, one less minifigure and what looks like a bare skeleton of a fort, If this goes for the same retail price as the original Soldiers Fort It'll be disappointing that it would seem LEGO were trying to make the most money out of their customers without giving them much for their money.

Edited by Joey Lock

The crocodile eye printing isn't in the practical image, but the redesign of it is nice.

There is a crocodile eye - seems I'm seeing this for the first time.

Anyway, as much as the set looks like something we've seen before, I will still buy it and am intrigued about the new small cannon approach. This is what they have for the new agents as well, right?

In comparison, I prefer 70410 Soldiers Outpost.

NOOOOOO! They've completely destroyed the crocagator! The legs look like tree trunks, the teeth are (insert insulting adjective here), and the head looks too realistic. It doesn't look LEGO anymore. And just for the sake of being thorough, I don't particularly like the tail, either. :pirate_sad2: Give me the classic crocodile any day.

What's with the mini-cannon? Did they even have those? :pir-sceptic:

Skull Island will probably be a retailer exclusive. The similar set from 2009 was a retailer exclusive too. For example, here in the US, only one store carries the retailer exclusive, usually Toys R Us.

Well if it is exclusice to Toys R Us I can at least buy it. I do not understand retail exclusivity.

I think it's supposed to represent a mortar and I like it.

I think it's supposed to represent a mortar and I like it.

I took it as an interesting use for the new blaster as a swivel gun.

Here's a new render, combining 70409 - Shipwreck Defense & 70411 - Treasure Island:

hw2GNnR.png

Obviously, the models are the best I could do without official instructions or the right parts/colors in LDD.

NOOOOOO! They've completely destroyed the crocagator! The legs look like tree trunks, the teeth are (insert insulting adjective here), and the head looks too realistic. It doesn't look LEGO anymore. And just for the sake of being thorough, I don't particularly like the tail, either. :pirate_sad2: Give me the classic crocodile any day.

I've actually been thinking that it looks more like a PLAYMOBIL crocodile than a LEGO one.

I fully understand that LEGO wants to keep updating their molds, and in some cases it works(see Sebula), but other times, it really feels unnecessary. Take the bandanna. Even I have to admit that having one that is flat around the head instead of being slanted would be useful(what it originally looked like in the prelims). But all they've done is flatten it a bit. It does look slightly more like a pirate bananna, but the problem is, that's all they can use it for now. It doesn't look like anything that anyone besides a pirate would wear. So, the part is less useful than it was, which is not a good idea. (Sort of the same idea with the castle swords. Not everyone in medieval times carried a sword with a handle that looked like that. The old design was much more generic.)

If I knew more about reptiles, I'm sure I could present an argument about how they're limiting themselves with this mold also, but unfortunately I don't.

I will give them credit, though - Although I still am not entirely liking them in certain areas, I'm actually beginning to like the looks of a lot of the individual bits that make up the sets. There are several clever bits, and the use of parts in some places is really quite clever.

I believe it's supposed to be a mortar. Be glad - originally, it sounded as if all of the cannons were being replaced with them. Where it's used does actually work quite well, though, and I have to congratulate them on their placement. They made a not very desirable part actually come off as one of the better features of the sets. Well done, LEGO!

Here's a new render, combining 70409 - Shipwreck Defense & 70411 - Treasure Island:

Obviously, the models are the best I could do without official instructions or the right parts/colors in LDD.

Thank you very much for doing that!

I have to confess that I haven't liked the skull very much. It just seemed like too much of a repeat, and the function just seemed a little out of place. But now, thanks to your picture, as I look at it, I'm pretty sure it's supposed to be the back panel of the cabin of a ship*!

It's still, of course, a little bit over-the-top, but no more so than any of the 90's sets. Also, it makes sense - it's a ship that has crashed over the rocks, and the pirates have cobbled together the segments that are still intact. And, best yet, it's in a pair of sets that are at the lower end of the price scale. pirate_blush.gif

Well done, LEGO. I guess the adage has been proven true once again - don't judge a set by it's fuzzy box image!

*For a prior example of this, look at 6296 Shipwreck Island.

As a lifelong collector of the Lego Pirate series I must say this new range is about as disappointing as it gets. It shows a complete lack of creativity on all accounts and what it comes down to is this seems like just a series of remakes.

Starting with The Brick Bounty… forget about how many cannons it has I’m more upset that it looks EXACTLY the same as BrickBread’s Bounty and while on the topic why choose this name? seriously, there were some really good suggestions and Lego selected the name closest to the ship it looks exactly the same as?

The final nail in this series’ coffin has to be this Treasure Island set, it looks strangely simular to the old Volcano Island set don’t you think… there is nothing new here, there is nothing worth buying here.

As a lifelong collector of the Lego Pirate series I must say this new range is about as disappointing as it gets. It shows a complete lack of creativity on all accounts and what it comes down to is this seems like just a series of remakes.

Starting with The Brick Bounty… forget about how many cannons it has I’m more upset that it looks EXACTLY the same as BrickBread’s Bounty and while on the topic why choose this name? seriously, there were some really good suggestions and Lego selected the name closest to the ship it looks exactly the same as?

The final nail in this series’ coffin has to be this Treasure Island set, it looks strangely simular to the old Volcano Island set don’t you think… there is nothing new here, there is nothing worth buying here.

Anyone else see notice the torch attached to the cannon on Treasure Island? It's not a piece I've seen before. What it looks like is an upside down cone on a short bar. But Lego doesn't make a bar that short, and the new flame piece wouldn't sit in an upside down cone anyways. It could be that they meant to change that piece to a spyglass. Anyone else got an opinion on that?

Anyone else see notice the torch attached to the cannon on Treasure Island? It's not a piece I've seen before. What it looks like is an upside down cone on a short bar. But Lego doesn't make a bar that short, and the new flame piece wouldn't sit in an upside down cone anyways. It could be that they meant to change that piece to a spyglass. Anyone else got an opinion on that?

Agreed.

I'm baffled.

Agreed.

I'm baffled.

Scratch that.

I found it.