Yawgmoth

2015 LEGO Pirates Rumors and Discussion

Anyone think we might get a new tricorn? None of the figs have it, the officers in the bluecoats seemed to only have hair at the moment.

Well, just2good said this:

I saw all but the Skull one. Yep, she's there with Elizabeth Swan (?) hair from POTC.

So I wonder if some of the other figs might have elements molded originally for PoTC. But PoTC used the same tricorn mold (but new colors and painted brims for the British soldiers). So there's a chance of us getting fun accessories with 2015 pirates. Let's wait and see.

I don't think they look bad, per se, and they are a clever use of parts to some degree, but it only really worked in the Banana Balance set. They are quite obviously doing it solely to clear out old inventory, and say what you will about the one-piece palm trees, I think the majority of us would prefer that to this. It's not the worst time we've seen them clean out inventory, but when you already have a perfect piece for a palm tree joint, it's hard to understand why you would replace it. And then, take the one-piece replacement, and replace it with a tree that looks doesn't look like a real palm. It might make a nice mangrove tree, but not a palm.

I don't think it's quite fair to accuse them of trying to do it just to clear out inventory. LEGO palms have always been tricky to do; a trade-off even in the best of times. I remember having a lot of trouble with the first ones as a kid; they were pretty top heavy with the larger leaves and had a tendency to snap in the middle. The leaves would often break right off too. :cry_sad: The smaller, lighter leaves they used later were much better, but you still had the problem of using lots of pieces just to achieve the effect of a palm tree.

Now, these were and are the best looking palms yet, but all of those little trunk elements weren't too useful for building other things. (The bases make lovely pots for plants, but that's about it.) I've seen them used in certain Technic and Space sets, but they had plenty of parts in those themes already that could have done just as well. I think they even tried to use them for a Castle tree, but it didn't really work. And to top it all off, it doesn't even really look that much like a palm. I mean, since when have you seen a palm tree with all the leaves stuck straight out in exactly four directions, like helicopter blades? pir_laugh2.gif

They tried to replicate the look in the one-piece palm trees, which were only good in that they looked just enough like the old trees looking just enough like actual palm trees. It was impossible to use them for anything other than plams, and since they were needlessly massive they never came in smaller sets. They'll blend in all right with the older trees, but good luck building a jungle or even an island with just those things. (I swear, nothing says 1999 LEGO like them. Well, except maybe rainbow colored Star Wars fighters.)

So I'm sympathetic for the new design, even if it's not quite perfect. It looks like it'll be stronger than the old ones were, at least. I hate to say it, but I think the palm in the off-brand rip-off actually looks like a reasonable solution, except that as built it would never hold together or bend as pictured. pirate_hmpf.gif

TC

Well J2G said that the minifigs are the standpoint of this theme so that makes me double excited to see those pics,it also makes me to want to play Assassin's Creed:Black Flag since I'm getting this piratey enthusiasm pirate_laugh2.gif

Edited by LOTR343

I don't think it's quite fair to accuse them of trying to do it just to clear out inventory...

TC

I agree, but hadn't said anything similar earlier because I didn't have time to write an essay this long.

It's funny that Lego 'purists' will complain about the use of single-piece moulds, but then people will also complain that Lego opted for a brick-built solution where they already had a one-piece mould for the same thing...

I can't help but wonder, what 's so special about the red/white colour scheme for the sails that LEGO insists on using it again and again. The Black Seas Barracuda, Cross-Bone Clipper, the 4+ ship, Brickbeard's Bounty, and now they're doing it again if the rumours I'm hearing are correct. So that will be the fifth ship with that colours, and that's not even counting the two shipwreck sets from the 1990s which used it too: the Pirates Perilous Pitfall and the Shipwreck Island, and the small boat seen in Imperial Trading Post and Lagoon Lock-up. Curious...

I can't help but wonder, what 's so special about the red/white colour scheme for the sails that LEGO insists on using it again and again.

Because those are the colors of the Danish flag? I mean, that's probably not the reason but it'd be funny if it were.

Every day, just2good is releasing videos on their YouTube channel of 2015 themes, and every day Pirates isn't included with them. :laugh_hard::iamded_lol::roflmao:

Every day, just2good is releasing videos on their YouTube channel of 2015 themes, and every day Pirates isn't included with them. :laugh_hard::iamded_lol::roflmao:

Pirate is little complicated than others..u will see it in time

In terms of details and Minifigures and size. The rest are all small sets

That's why I love this theme....it's full of small sets,giving people a chance to collect all of them.

I only would like to know if the flag in the new sets is similar to that ulgy childish skull fom 2009 Pirates theme or it looks like the flag in preliminary shipwreck defense set (very good for me) and the second question is - if the skull is placed on the ship sails like in brickbeards bounty or the sails are only with white - red stripes like in black seas barracuda?

I love that the boxes are yellow again. Could never unterstand why TLG changed it. Pirates = yellow box pirate_classic.gif

I know I've been away for a while but Mrphes will vouch that I'm a purist of the purists... However after seeing this pop up on ebay, I really wish Lego would bring back a bulked up pirate line that meshed a little more closely with castle in the fortification sense...

All the best and God Bless!

Nathan

I know I've been away for a while but Mrphes will vouch that I'm a purist of the purists... However after seeing this pop up on ebay, I really wish Lego would bring back a bulked up pirate line that meshed a little more closely with castle in the fortification sense...

All the best and God Bless!

Nathan

Nice find, Nathan! I would be really excited if something like that became an official set. Maybe one of us should work on something like this for Brickworld Indy.

- Josh

So, no one agrees with using the stud shooters on the row boats as a tpye of Mortar?

No, I think everyone agrees, since that seems to be the angle Lego are going for. pirate_satisfied.gif

This is why I'm hoping that if they do a D2C set for this new Pirates theme, instead of doing another Imperial Flagship style ship they do either a nice harbour or fortification. We haven't had any sizeable Pirate buildings since the 90s (although to be fair, some of those sets had the large moulded baseplates that give the sets more bulk than they would otherwise have had)

Alright, now these look a little better! The figures look really cool, I'm especially liking how they took the old torso designs and modernized them, very cool! The Blue Coat female may just be the best figure of the wave. default_wubnew.gif And the bicorne hat in the fort set looks like a nice piece. I may just it pick it up if it's not overly expensive! default_classic.gif And as I said before, Soldier's Outpost looks like a really solid set! I'm a bit more looking forward to the wave now! thumbup.gif

White epaulettes for the soldiers?

I would have preferred red, but I'll take what I can get..