Yawgmoth

2015 LEGO Pirates Rumors and Discussion

Well, I had the duty to buy the last two knights themes for my kids. And if you compare "castle" with "kingdoms" you can guess, how the next pirate series look like: Somehow "optimized" and following some core ideas already named here, the figs will look better and some specialties might be added (monster, new cannons), but for us who have "seen it all" the series will look "playmobil-ized" and not very creative.

My hope is a new AFOL Pirate-Set like the Imperial Flagship. Maybe an Coastal Fort?

If 2015 Pirates is to 2009 Pirates what 2013 Castle is to 2010 Kingdoms, then I don't see a problem. I've always had trouble understanding why people thought 2013 Castle was dumbed down from 2010 Kingdoms, they look almost exactly the same.

7946-1.jpg70404-1.jpg

The more I consider the opinion of whoever saw the retailers catalogue, the less it means to me. The sets are about the same price points as the 2009 Pirates, so they're likely to be the same size as well, and I don't find the Brickbeard's Bounty 'Super Tiny'. I really want to either see the sets for myself, or hear the opinion of someone who isn't disappointed that Lego still produce sets aimed at children.

^Agreed. If it's 2015 Pirates to 2009 Pirates like 2013 Castle was to 2010 Kingdoms, there is no issue.

If it's 2010 Kingdoms to 2007 Castle, though, we have a serious problem... pirate_sad2.gif

Ah, well - at least it's a chance to get some new Pirate parts at a reasonable price point. Even if they're not "Pirates," they should still be worth collecting multiples just for the parts. They can hardly be planning to get rid of cannons entirely(although they're probably going to milk the stud-shooters too much). Cutlasses are almost certain, and so are flintlocks of both sorts.

What I'm really hoping for is that we get a head rag in regular green again. The last appearance of that was in the Forestmen line/re-released minifigures of that line. If we got one of those, I will consider this wave a given success.

I've been thinking over the ship from all angles, and I don't see how this could really fail. If it's modular sections again, we get more modular sections, which is a plus. If it's brick-build, (which it won't be at that price point), we either get a really bad ship, or we get an impressive try. Or somewhere in the middle. So, brick-built is the one to be concerned about.

One thing that I personally would not hate at all, would be if we got a floating hull like the 2004 line. Sure, it's clearly J uniorized*, but you can actually float your ship. Which may not be a big deal to everyone, but I like to make my models as functional as possible, and there are only two ways to make a model float. Build it using non-LEGO materials, or with a floating hull.

Whatever way this is released, I'm looking forward to it!

*I'm not trying to throw stones here. It's from a line labeled 4+.

Edited by Lind Whisperer

If 2015 Pirates is to 2009 Pirates what 2013 Castle is to 2010 Kingdoms, then I don't see a problem. I've always had trouble understanding why people thought 2013 Castle was dumbed down from 2010 Kingdoms, they look almost exactly the same.

The figures and shields were a huuuuuuge step backwards though, and the colouring wasn't quite as good either.

Uhm... I can't hope for another IF style ship. Indeed I've promised myself never to buy again another "rised cabin ship" or "flat non-tumblehome-ribbed sides". To me, an UCS is for AFOL as it's priced for them..

Ummester's gilded crow demonstred it's possible to build a plausible look with legal connections genuine construction, so I'll be very critic on price/quality before buying.

I think things would be different about an eldorado fortress re-release or similar... or even better for an UCS fortress, wich I'd love too see (on my shelf!!) designed by TLG.

If it's 2010 Kingdoms to 2007 Castle, though, we have a serious problem... pirate_sad2.gif

My exact thoughts

Fantasy Era has been the best Castle line in years. It brought something new to the table. (Similar to Knights' Kingdom II, which I loved too). From what has been said, I'm unsure if this Pirates line will be as creative as Fantasy Era but I have high expectations anyway.

Seen something. Cant say much, but dont expect anything special. Ship is 95% identical to 6243 and even more basic. Fort is also really basic (think of <insert that tiresome argument> 6263), same with outpost (could connect with fort). Island is ok with skull, palm and boat.

Seen something. Cant say much, but dont expect anything special. Ship is 95% identical to 6243 and even more basic. Fort is also really basic (think of <insert that tiresome argument> 6263), same with outpost (could connect with fort). Island is ok with skull, palm and boat.

Thanks for the info. Looks like this really will be the Castle 2013 for Pirates. :sadnew:

I have high expectations anyway.

Not anymore pirate_cry4.gif

Edited by Robert8

I was in my dark ages and never had any pirates set except PotC London Escape and last year's battle pack. So a Pirates rehash will not bother me. If nothing else the 2015 wave will make Pirates sets more accessible for new FOLs. And a larger fanbase would make new ideas more likely.

Besides if there are any new molds (instead of a bowler hat), it will not be visible in the retailer catalog right now.

As I said earlier I won't judge until I see the pics myself but reading your comment pretty much makes my assumption right on the spot meaning that this wave will most likely be the same like the one of 2009 and for that I don't have any problem,after all one of the reasons I loved the 2009 wave was that the sets were simple but great at the same time(You know it gives you the nostalgic feeling of the original Lego Pirates sets) Edited by LOTR343

I loved 2009 range. It was right after I got back into LEGO. I agree to wait with final judgement until official pics, because I was misleadt many time by prelims.

But as it is now, it looks exactly like with 2013 castle line. You can not say that those sets are ugly or anything. They are just too basic to be really liked by AFOL-s.

Well, at least it'll be a nice parts pack, if nothing else.

Is the island the same molded piece as used in the last one, or is it just some plates/baseplate?

Just few tan plates.

Even worse on fort: complete sets sits on few 2x8 blue plates on which arches are placed. On 2009 set we had at least 8x10 plates.

Same with ship: all dark red is substituted with regular red and all gold with tan.

It could still change though.

I don't like these price points, to be honest. These feel like they'll be 'starter packs' more than anything.

I'm super stoked for new pirate sets, but I wish the set featured a few higher end sets for things like the island and a ship.

I've not seen the actual models though, so they could be brilliantly designed with a lower part count. It is possible. :D

I will wait to see them before I judge them, though it's sounding less and less like I'm going to be excited by the reveal. The sails are just in a different shade of red? That's something I was hoping they wouldn't do, they could have been black and white or something. Or black and red. Actually there aren't many alternatives to combinations of those three colours, are there? Maybe black & yellow.

Still, at least the 6263 fort is different from the 2009 fort. And I didn't really like the island base from 2009 anyway... And what do the two fort element look like while connected? Do they look better as a large fort? There is still hope. And I know I'll be getting them anyway, of course.

Edited by David Thomsen

Anyone know/guess when we can see official photos and informations??

Thanks

Around late-October to early-November.

As a Lego fan and I am sure that many Lego fan will confirm what I will say: many sets for first we them as rubbish or out of interest, but believe me as the time goes you will change ur mind, buy them and expand your collections. It happenes a lot with me especially with some 2009 pirate sets, Lego Movie Sea Cow and some city sets.

As long as we are Lego fans and lover, we expect anything. ....:-)

As I said earlier I won't judge until I see the pics myself but reading your comment pretty much makes my assumption right on the spot meaning that this wave will most likely be the same like the one of 2009 and for that I don't have any problem,after all one of the reasons I loved the 2009 wave was that the sets were simple but great at the same time(You know it gives you the nostalgic feeling of the original Lego Pirates sets)

I agree with this. Same style as 2009? Brilliant!

Though the comparisons to Castle 2013 does put me off a great deal... I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

*huh*

Uh...

"Backs away slowly."

Uh...

"Starts to run away slowly."

Seriously...it's like LEGO was trying deliberately to...

These are...

The only thing I like is that there looks like there will be a new headrag in white. The only thing. That, and there will be some cheaper sails. Really cheap sails, the discounts we'll be seeing...

I know it's a prelim, but seriously - you can see the finished models in them. Change a few torso and headgear, and it's the final release.

I...don't really have anything to say.

Wow.