Yawgmoth

2015 LEGO Pirates Rumors and Discussion

Jean Lafitte is quite the legend around the Texas and Louisiana Gulf Coast. It would be great to have him in a set. I agree that historically accurate pirates would be great for all. I would also like to see a Spanish fort design like the one in San Juan, Puerto Rico.

That would be interesting. They could do a smugglers of the Gulf and have the crumbling Spanish empire as the other force. The next year they could throw in Davey Crockett like Americans taking over Louisiana hahaha.

I just hope they don't only focus on ships and forts. I really want a nice Jungle set, Treasure Cove or deserted Island set.

Edited by Cammo

I just hope they don't only focus on ships and forts. I really want a nice Jungle set, Treasure Cove or deserted Island set.

Yeah, a Jungle set or Treasure Cove would be nice. The island in the 2009 theme was fun, but also much too small.

Funny I was looking at the summer wave of Friends, jungle falls rescue 41033 and I thought the same thing. Made me wonder if we would see similar elements next year in a pirate wave. I particularly like the idea of a treasure cove, makes me think of the goonies for some reason.

Funny I was looking at the summer wave of Friends, jungle falls rescue 41033 and I thought the same thing. Made me wonder if we would see similar elements next year in a pirate wave. I particularly like the idea of a treasure cove, makes me think of the goonies for some reason.

I hadn't looked at those sets closely but you're right, that flexi-vine thing would make an excellent addition to a Pirate Island set. Maybe in a darker colour, though... the lime green shade from those sets seems too Friends-y.

I would LOVE for there to be a new Forbidden Island/Rock Island Refuge set. It's one of the things I missed out on when I was a kid.

The new Pirate ship comes out in 2015, may or may not (hopefully) be called The Brick Bounty. Man, I really hope they pick a better name.

The Brick Bounty? How terribly unoriginal! What's next, the Blue Sea's Barracuda? The Skull Schooner? Brickbeard's Boat? Aargh...

I do really hope they come up with a better name! I'm so looking forward to new Pirates LEGO!

Edited by Cammy

I hope for some more realistic bluecoat/redcoat ship, like HMS Interceptor or similar. It will be nice to get some frigate, Imperial Flagship was nice try but they fail in depicting some true frigate ship. This design tendencies to make a captains cabine high are just sad :/

Regarding the pirate ship name..who inveted this? Brick bounty? Damn, thats really sad and unoriginal...

I hope for some more realistic bluecoat/redcoat ship, like HMS Interceptor or similar. It will be nice to get some frigate, Imperial Flagship was nice try but they fail in depicting some true frigate ship. This design tendencies to make a captains cabine high are just sad :/

I also dislike the high cabins but I can understand they are very appealing to kids,

these designs allow easy interior access, there are entrance doors etc.

I think the Imperial Flagship is about as close to a frigate LEGO will ever go.

I highly doubt LEGO will ever deviate from the high cabins in the large ships pirate_sad2.gif .

Edited by Sebeus I

A new design for small ships would be cool though, always liked them much more.

I also dislike the high cabins but I can understand they are very appealing to kids,

these designs allow easy interior access, there are entrance doors etc.

I think the Imperial Flagship is about as close to a frigate LEGO will ever go.

I highly doubt LEGO will ever deviate from the high cabins in the large ships :pirate_sad2: .

I agree, it seems to be a key element... But as a kid I liked them... for exactly these reasons :pir-grin: The effect of this 'design propaganda' was so immense, that I considered differently looking ships/models to be false :facepalm:

A new design for small ships would be cool though, always liked them much more.

Yeah, small ships are fun. But on the contrary I'd much rather like to see a new wider prefab hull. Maybe an increase of +4 studs... After all, the City themes got larger vehicles 'ages' ago, show some love for pirates, please! Shipbuilding possibilities would skyrocket... Maybe exaggerating a bit here...

Well maybe bigger hulls would make more sense for ships of the line, but how many of those were around during the golden age of piracy? Not too many I'd assume. I'd really prefer more realistic pirate ships, meaning mainly sloops and ketches. Even Blackbeard mostly sailed sloops and in the end was sunk by sloops as well. So why do they always exeggerate the pirate ships?

I agree, it seems to be a key element... But as a kid I liked them... for exactly these reasons :pir-grin: The effect of this 'design propaganda' was so immense, that I considered differently looking ships/models to be false :facepalm:

Exactly! Me too,

My early pirateships were just larger and more detailed versions of the official sets.

Just look at the size of that cabin pirate_oh.gif .

1232291592m_DISPLAY.jpg

Like taken straight from a Disney movie pirate_laugh2.gifthumbup.gif

I can very much relate, although mine mostly flew the blue flag...

Thanks for sharing!

@kabel: main target audience... it's never been about realism, but about fantasy and play. Therefore exaggeration matters. I doubt we'll see more realistic ships (what ten year old boy cares for a smooth broadside or a proper tumble home), unless released with a licenced theme. As far as I remember the POTC video game featured both the Interceptor and the Dauntless. Shame, none of them was ever released... or at least some kind of instructions for us AFOLs...

But we can always vote for Sebeus' 'Flying Dutchman' at Lego Ideas (former Cuusoo).

Well maybe bigger hulls would make more sense for ships of the line, but how many of those were around during the golden age of piracy? Not too many I'd assume. I'd really prefer more realistic pirate ships, meaning mainly sloops and ketches. Even Blackbeard mostly sailed sloops and in the end was sunk by sloops as well. So why do they always exeggerate the pirate ships?

The sad thing is, even the biggest ship LEGO ever released, 10210, only rates as an eight-gunner--she's rigged like a ship-sloop, but only of a size to be a cutter or yawl, your typical sloop-of-war being anywhere from 14 to 18 guns on a single deck.

UMMMM, let me rephrase slightly. The 1750's version of a Cruizer-class brig-sloop (not to be confused with their much-bigger Napoleonic 18-gun namesakes) was 75'6" long on the gundeck, 20' 7.5" wide and carried a combination of eight 3-pound main guns (the only ones counted for ratings) and ten little 1/2-pounder swivels for anti-personnel work.

Basically, even the IFS is a very SMALL representation of a typical ship of the period, though it does capture the "feel" of it nicely--small, cramped, packed with running gear and weapons even on a merchant, not exactly a lot of fun to be aboard. Try to imagine living with a hundred other people in a space the size of a basketball court, and that's life at sea back then even on a relatively spacious ship like USS Constitution.

The problem is, LEGO CAN'T go much bigger than IFS... there are a lot of people, myself included, who have a psychological barrier about the US$200 price point, and for some the barrier is even lower like around $150. They have a VERY delicate balancing act to do, and I don't envy the design team that part of the job one bit...

I think you got me wrong for good, I was actually asking for more small ships, not for bigger ones. And I was doing so for precisely what you just mentioned: the price tag! I'd much rather buy my kids two smaller ships for 50€ than one for 100€.

I doubt they'd do anything larger than 10210 Imperial Frigate, but I can imagine them doing another one the same size, if it was popular enough... and I do think that the IF represents an enormous ship in Lego terms, if not in 'real' terms. It's like the way a Lego house with a separate living room, kitchen and bedroom is a 'large' house.

I'd like to see smaller ships too, if just for variety... preferably I'd like to see a navy or merchant ship the size of Brickbeard's Bounty, a pirate ship one hull piece shorter than that, and for the large D2C set (fingers crossed they have one) to be a large harbour set, either a merchant port or a fort. If they do another IF-sized vessel, I'd like for it to be a merchant ship, or an Armada Flagship... I think a pirate ship that size would be overkill. At least in the fiction I'm familiar with, pirate ships were smaller than their targets?

Edit: Actually, it would be good for the pirates to have a smaller, more affordable model, because more kids will be able to afford it, and I imagine kids would be more excited by a pirate ship than a navy ship. Also if there were two ships in the theme, it would be easier to afford a 'sea battle' without having to buy the expensive adult-oriented IF set. That's one thing I always found odd about the 2009 pirate range, only one ship.

Edited by David Thomsen

I doubt they'd do anything larger than 10210 Imperial Frigate, but I can imagine them doing another one the same size, if it was popular enough... and I do think that the IF represents an enormous ship in Lego terms, if not in 'real' terms. It's like the way a Lego house with a separate living room, kitchen and bedroom is a 'large' house.

I'd like to see smaller ships too, if just for variety... preferably I'd like to see a navy or merchant ship the size of Brickbeard's Bounty, a pirate ship one hull piece shorter than that, and for the large D2C set (fingers crossed they have one) to be a large harbour set, either a merchant port or a fort. If they do another IF-sized vessel, I'd like for it to be a merchant ship, or an Armada Flagship... I think a pirate ship that size would be overkill. At least in the fiction I'm familiar with, pirate ships were smaller than their targets?

Edit: Actually, it would be good for the pirates to have a smaller, more affordable model, because more kids will be able to afford it, and I imagine kids would be more excited by a pirate ship than a navy ship. Also if there were two ships in the theme, it would be easier to afford a 'sea battle' without having to buy the expensive adult-oriented IF set. That's one thing I always found odd about the 2009 pirate range, only one ship.

I have to disagree. I would really prefer a large pirate ship since we haven't had a really good large non-licenced pirate ship since the skull eye schooner and I tend to think that both adults and kids would want that. Also, even though historically most pirates had smaller ships there were a few like Blackbeard, Henry Morgan, Captain Kidd, and I believe Henry Avery that had larger sailing vessels, so I don't really see anything wrong with having a larger pirate ship. Hopefully in a few months we will get to see what Lego is planning. pirate_classic.gif

I disagree with the statemant that smaller ships are "better" and more afortable than large one. We dont need to have larger ship than IFS but at least same sized vessel, with more realistic looking. These high placed cabins are good but only for pirate ships or galleons, not for military imperial ships like "Interceptor", HMS Providence and even Dauntless from POTC.

And I think that its not really hard to make, BSB already simulate two decks as well and the set itself contains around 900 pcs, so it is possible to make ship like this with cabin placed low with backside balcony..etc. It could contain three-four cannons, and maybe some brickbuilt cannons on the place where the wheel is :) As crew they can add 3-4 sailors, 2 soldiers, admiral and officer. And we have 7-8 minifigs, large ship with 3 mid sections, 3-4 cannons+some brickbuilt ones, , nice cabin with furniture, and maybe there could be a new design for rawboat with two seats for guys with paddles (my dream is to maintain the blue/white/black or blue/tanblack or blue/yellow/black color scheme). All in all it could take around 130 bucks. as enemy there could be some pirate vessel with high placed cabin as BSB has, with two mid sections, and 2 cannons and 5-6 bad guys. Also i prefer more realistic colours, so it would be great to see more dark brown/white, reddish brown/black or even dark red or dark green colour scheme on pirate ship :)

I disagree with the statemant that smaller ships are "better" and more afortable than large one. We dont need to have larger ship than IFS but at least same sized vessel, with more realistic looking. These high placed cabins are good but only for pirate ships or galleons, not for military imperial ships like "Interceptor", HMS Providence and even Dauntless from POTC.

And I think that its not really hard to make, BSB already simulate two decks as well and the set itself contains around 900 pcs, so it is possible to make ship like this with cabin placed low with backside balcony..etc. It could contain three-four cannons, and maybe some brickbuilt cannons on the place where the wheel is :) As crew they can add 3-4 sailors, 2 soldiers, admiral and officer. And we have 7-8 minifigs, large ship with 3 mid sections, 3-4 cannons+some brickbuilt ones, , nice cabin with furniture, and maybe there could be a new design for rawboat with two seats for guys with paddles (my dream is to maintain the blue/white/black or blue/tanblack or blue/yellow/black color scheme). All in all it could take around 130 bucks. as enemy there could be some pirate vessel with high placed cabin as BSB has, with two mid sections, and 2 cannons and 5-6 bad guys. Also i prefer more realistic colours, so it would be great to see more dark brown/white, reddish brown/black or even dark red or dark green colour scheme on pirate ship :)

I agree with all of that. I think we have a rare opportunity here for something really special from the Lego Pirates Theme and it would be a shame to have it wasted on another ship like the Brickbeards Bounty. Even though it was a decent pirate ship an IFS level pirate ship would be awesome.

Edited by Jack Bricker

I disagree with the statemant that smaller ships are "better" and more afortable than large one. We dont need to have larger ship than IFS but at least same sized vessel, with more realistic looking.

says the one with the milions on the bank account that I don't have ...

I dont have those money either, but its not a problem.to save some.money if you want something. Lego is not cheap toy at all so this argument is not relevant...

Saving is not a problem if you live on your own, it becomes a problem when you have a family to support and two kids who both want presents every now and then. After all, Lego is a childrens toy and I think Playmo (unfortunately I don't like them) is doing a much better job in proving a much broader range of ships ranging somewhere between 30 up to 100 something Euros.

Lego had that in the old days, and it was fine like! And all I'm suggesting here is that it would be nice if they returned to this policy. Sorry to insult the AFOL in you by thinking about the kids who will not be able to afford even bigger ships!

Saving is not a problem if you live on your own, it becomes a problem when you have a family to support and two kids who both want presents every now and then. After all, Lego is a childrens toy and I think Playmo (unfortunately I don't like them) is doing a much better job in proving a much broader range of ships ranging somewhere between 30 up to 100 something Euros.

Lego had that in the old days, and it was fine like! And all I'm suggesting here is that it would be nice if they returned to this policy. Sorry to insult the AFOL in you by thinking about the kids who will not be able to afford even bigger ships!

The insult is not taken, so there is nothing to feel sorry about. I understand, and trust me its not easy to buy some large sets even if I have no kids yet. But I dont live on my own either, and I understand you that its really hard to keep the flat, and take care about your familly members. I have a dog, cat and wife and for now its really enough :) For example I miss the opportunity to buy IFS, and now I cannot afford it, cause its too expensive. Almost double. And as a huge fan of LOTR I am afraid that same thing happends with Orthanc Tower, cause its almost a yer in a stocks, and its exclusive DLC set so it will be gone after summer I fear. .. Fut never the less I am still hoping for some 120-130 bucks frigate :) Old times are gone, these sets contains much more pieces, form example in 1 Black Pearl u ave 3 Carribean Clippers :) Crazy! Not saying IFS...there is BSB, Carribean Clipper, Armada Flagship, and Imperial Sea lion....so 4 in one... I thing that the reason is that there is more attention to details (furniture, stern, etc) and also the pats are smaller (take the masts - in golden age of pirate teme there was 2-3 big pieces for mast, then another 4-5 pieces for sails and rigging. Now u have all this Lego technic pieces, and mast are almost brickbuilt... Maybe that is the reason of those high prices... And then the main reason that there is no pirates for 5 years and thats a HUGE SHAME! :)