Hello efferman,

You seem to be the go-to guy for custom part design, and I am seriously impressed with your work and creativity.  I'd humbly ask if you'd consider creating a design for me.  I am seeking an alternate size for part 65617:

65617.png

The original is 3x3x1 in size, but I need one that is 4x4x1.  The layout for the underside could be sourced from the nearest similar part, 48092, because it has the same horizontal radius of curvature.  If it were published to Shapeways, I would preferably like the color option Red to be available.  I see that you generally focus your work on Technic parts, but hopefully you would be willing to do this 'standard' brick, as it ties directly into a number of other existing parts in the same family.

Additionally, a question to the other members of the EuroBricks forum - how accurate versus standard LEGO color is the Red offered by Shapeways?  Is it close enough, or would you recommend I paint the finished part myself?

11 hours ago, UltraViolet said:

Red offered by Shapeways?

Paint it by yourself. Colouring is a Gamble.

This is 3 plates thick? never seen this part.

65617 was released in 2020, and yes, it is 3 plates thick and curves continuously from the bottom edge.  It's supposed to match with the straight piece 37352, and 24599 which are also 3 plates thick.  As a family It shares vertical curvature with 6091, 6081, 6191 and 67810 (there are some others too), but those have an extra plate height at their bases before the curve begins.  It would be more flexible to have a 4x4x1 than a 4x4x1-1/3.  I need to make a continuous 180 degree bend between two parallel 6191s sitting on the outer studs of an 8-wide space.  If this part can be created, I will need at least eight pieces, but will probably order many more in case this element is never officially released.  Cost is of very little concern to me, as these will be a signature feature on a MOC.

I don't mean this as a request or anything, but have you ever looked into designing a fluid coupling/torque converter?

1 hour ago, Bartybum said:

I don't mean this as a request or anything, but have you ever looked into designing a fluid coupling/torque converter?

You might as well ask for a Variable Volume Pump. Those parts are best made of clear plastic, so one can see the inner workings. Typically though they require very smooth surface finish for them to be hermetically sealed.

14 minutes ago, DrJB said:

Those parts are best made of clear plastic, so one can see the inner workings.

Oh man imagine that. That could totally be possible with polycarbonate filament. Surely some o-rings could be enough to seal them mostly? I've seen a guy on YouTube who made one a while back out of bottlecaps:

Edited by Bartybum

Thank you for sharing. That is simply incredible. Now you got me thinking .... err ... dreaming.

Edited by DrJB

On 2/16/2021 at 12:42 AM, UltraViolet said:

I will need at least eight pieces,

Mudguards? I can not guarrantee the grip of the studs. Maybe the holes are to tight, maybe to loose.

https://www.shapeways.com/product/3WFLSFSSP/slope-curved-maccaroni-4x4x1-stud?key=18b09252707f3ff8394b285cd03c6f73

50959041932_bbe864f693_c.jpg

by the way

https://www.shapeways.com/product/GRPT2GA4U/flatbedmudguardpanel-3x7x1-4-piece-set?optionId=200705104&li=shop-inventory

50948394623_6d6a0ec60b_c.jpg

9 hours ago, efferman said:

Mudguards? I can not guarrantee the grip of the studs. Maybe the holes are to tight, maybe to loose.

https://www.shapeways.com/product/3WFLSFSSP/slope-curved-maccaroni-4x4x1-stud?key=18b09252707f3ff8394b285cd03c6f73

50959041932_bbe864f693_c.jpg

This should do quite nicely, thanks so much!!!  I may use this shape for mudguards on another project, but in my current build they will be laying flat, so clutch should not be an issue.  I am prepared to fine-tune or glue them if required.  I just ordered 16 pieces from ShapeWays so I'll have some spares to play around with, as well as some of your 3x2 panels and panel corners because I have another idea for them.

Quite amazing, thanks again!

The was something else that came to mind today which is actually technic related.  I recall having more than one tight space were this would have been helpful.  It would be like a 18677 "Plate, Modified 1 x 2 with Pin Hole on Bottom" except with the hole centered like on a 2444/10247.  The 2444/10247 doesn't allow an axle to pass all the way through under the rest of the 2x2 plate.  You could also think of it as a short-height variant of 32529.  My only concern would be clutch power if suspended below another part.

18677.png 18677    2444.png 2444/10247    32529.png 32529    11458.png 11458

Also useful would be 1x2's plates with the hole facing out the narrow side.  This could be done above or below the plate.

I'm not actually requesting these, just musing out loud.  The 1x2 with centered hole on bottom is the thing I could most likely use in the near term.

Trypophobia intensifies :laugh:

Seem to be very versatile, even more than the cracker (?) parts introduced recently. Aslo something that TLG seems to be heading towards considering the beams with alternating holes from this year and extra large frames. Wonder how well they'll resist torsional forces 

Edited by syclone

Very nice pieces indeed. While these would definitely increase the building options, I'm not sure TLG can make such parts 'easily'. When building a cavity mold for such pieces, while the shape is 'easy' (relatively) to make ... de-molding seems like an unsurmountable challenge.

2 hours ago, efferman said:

i see studs, many studs....

....and Pinholes

50962280617_baef5fe6ae_z.jpg

Edited by DrJB

1 hour ago, DrJB said:

Very nice pieces indeed. While these would definitely increase the building options, I'm not sure TLG can make such parts 'easily'. When building a cavity mold for such pieces, while the shape is 'easy' (relatively) to make ... de-molding seems like an unsurmountable challenge.

Are they really that much more complicated than the sandwich panels though?

Which sandwich panel ... the one below?

18945.png

Edited by DrJB

I really like those so called "cracker" or perhaps 'waffle' grids.  They kind of remind me of high-strength molecular structures, such as in carbon fibre.

Both look ideal for solving the difficult mounting problem with these gear rack housings.

2 hours ago, efferman said:

What is your opinion about this?

51023815861_10a52c1778_c.jpg

This would be a godsend, although I'd prefer it with axle holes to accommodate these: 27940.png

Very nice pieces and very useful for me. Both pieces have their function but the second piece looks like it could take more torque ..It would be my choice. 

I prefer the second piece - it looks much sturdier. I agree with the cross-axle hole idea though

6 hours ago, suffocation said:

This would be a godsend, although I'd prefer it with axle holes to accommodate these: 27940.png

Axle Holes are a gamble at shapeways. They call a tolerance of +-a tenth and on axle holes this is the difference between falling through and inserting it with a hammer. so i prefer Pinholes