Fishing lines are made of nylon so no problem even in saltwater

Nylon strings, not powder. The material may be the same, but the structure is totally different, 3D printed parts are "porous". Water might seep in the parts.

do you think this would work?

Hmm maybe this might help?

We need a gear design that pushes the gears away from the center, where springs are fitted between the gear and the wall of the main diff housing, followed by some grippy rubber ring, so when the diff is under certain pressure, the diff gears are forced against the wall the the diff housing, compressing the spring and making contact with the rubber ring, which would lock the differential.

Isn't the powder melt? Even if the surface is textured it probably isn't porous, besides... it is still nylon. In this case the relevant properties are in the material, not the structure.

auranapse, iam working on it, but it will be hard to get it in a 5 to 7 frame

15350229830_9e0382c7b5_z.jpg

Leewan, printed parts are really massive and hard to grind, i dont think that they sucking water like a sponge.

Leewan, printed parts are really massive and hard to grind, i dont think that they sucking water like a sponge.

Well, I hope so. :laugh: Anyways, I'll try with my own parts on the next weekend.

Even a solid bar of nylon (Polyamide 6/6) will absorb moisture from the air which will have a negative effect on the strength over time. However, I don't think these parts are so weak that it would be any issue.

third revision of the heavy duty turntable. reinforced with additional mounting points. external teethring added and the internal removed. Earlier revisions had a problem with rotation under high load (1,1kg on 60cm outreach) without counterweight. Please call me if you have problems with rotation after cleaning. coloured versions probably need polishing to make it fit together and removing nylon dust which is glued by the colour to the turntable.

625x465_2665011_7070113_1413711482.jpg

when this doesnt rotate under load then we need rollerbearings in it.

someone, darksheep to be exact, has asked for flexible axles. i have made one with a overall length of 19 studs (169mm). Unfortunately this is 20mm to long for polished colours. so in this length are only white and black available. At 16 studs and shorter polished colours should be possible. Is there a need for?

625x465_2786053_7112197_1413985774.jpg

Edited by efferman

someone, darksheep to be exact, has asked for flexible axles. i have made one with a overall length of 19 studs (169mm). Unfortunately this is 20mm to long for polished colours. so in this length are only white and black available. At 16 studs and shorter polished colours should be possible. Is there a need for?

I think that depends on the actual look and feel. Does the nylon "behave" like the rubber of the original flex axles?

There are additive manufacturing processes available that will produce elastomeric components. Unfortunately, I can't recall what the durometers of the resulting materials are, and so couldn't say if they match the standard parts.

I'd expect them to be more expensive relative to the standard Polyamide parts that have been produced to date.

19L soft axles in Black are really expensive. The cheapest one in Black on Bricklink is three to four times more expensive than the piece in nylon.

Edited by efferman

Thanks this is really cool , I would like to try these . If they work out I would get a few of every length in black and red :)

Just a few questions I see the axles don't look exactly like the lego ones , was this intentional?

What would be the best place to have these printed and out of what materials should I ask them to make them from .

My ultimate goal would be to replicate the lego original parts (look , feel and flexibility )

the nylon is not flexible enough to bend like the rubber flexaxles from lego. so i have made it like a coil spring. This should make them flexible enough.

Here's my little video with some of the Efferman's awesome designs:

The general impression is: brilliant design, surprisingly sturdy material, but also minor problems with dimensions that makes e.g. axles difficult to put into some of the gears. Part of this is my fault, because I ordered painted version of some parts. In any case, this is something rather easily fixable.

@Efferman:

I don't know if it is asked before, but I would really like a modified version of this part.

Instead of a 2L axle, I would rather have a 3L axle. This would come in handy while making small suspension set-ups (like Piterx did on his Fiat Panda), so the wheel doesn't slide easly off the axle.

Thanks in advance,

Fresko

Here's my little video with some of the Efferman's awesome designs:

The general impression is: brilliant design, surprisingly sturdy material, but also minor problems with dimensions that makes e.g. axles difficult to put into some of the gears. Part of this is my fault, because I ordered painted version of some parts. In any case, this is something rather easily fixable.

Hmm I thought I read that the torsen diff didn't really work? Can it handle high torque? I plan to get one if it actually works as intended :D

Efferman was kind enough to get it to work for me. It seems very robust and can take a lot of torque - as you can see, it has no problem with me stopping one output while the XL motor drives it.

Efferman was kind enough to get it to work for me. It seems very robust and can take a lot of torque - as you can see, it has no problem with me stopping one output while the XL motor drives it.

Shame, cannot see it at Shapeways, as if it does work now - I bet there would be some who do want it. Great review anyhow.

Edited by notareal

Efferman says he will be making it available again soon. No doubt he's busy making it even better :)

Thanks, Pawel

I think in roundabout 10 days iam back on my pc to put the torsen back online. Unfortunately at most of the time the lan at this place is like a diva and i cant post anything, so ciao till in some days.

The heavy duty diff looks verry strong. One thing, the 12t bevel gear (driving gear) makes the strenght of the diff useless. Is it posible to make a strong diff thats is driven by 12t double bevel? Or maybe a new stronger (printed)12t bevel gear without axle

Do you have an idea how much torque these parts are stronger than the original lego material? ( I mean, a 12t lego breaks at xl stall 40Ncm, so what's the breaking point of printed 12t)

Thanks btw for all your work to make strong lego components!

For example you can use it with a spur gear combination or my 12 tooth bevel gear with axle which i have on shapeways.

Amazing how many unique gears and differentials have been created. I want to focus on the

with the clutch for a moment, I would like to see a mechanism behind this to shift it with. To me It would appear that the 36t gear might be to big to be of standard shifting to use in a non sequential Lego transmission. Now I don't see this as a problem but really a challenge to make the gear and clutch work together in a compact fashion.