We have prices for Effermans parts..... :look:

Prices are in uk pounds, parts made in nylon.

get-attachmentaspx1_zpsf5ed8c77.png

Edited by Alasdair Ryan

They still use too much material. Look at how lego saves material on every part and replicate that.

I have had a idea stay tuned....

I think you should try a 3D printer from 3D Hubs.com.

I did a quick test and it said that I could make on of the hub parts for around 15 euros.

nijcasno, i have made the parts so light as ithink that they would stable. are you sure that yur ultimate hub is stable enough to hold the bionicle balls in their cage when they under load?

alasdair, your dealer is more expensive than my first one. my second dealer wants 45€ for all3 parts together. dont know whats the quality

efferman: the mk2 version will be. Expect it this weekend.

Once i know the position of all elements i'l also try to minimise the use of material, like it is done in the lego elements. (no liftarm or connector is actually "full" but has as many intendations/slots as possible to keep material usage to a minimum while still retaining the necessary strength.

Edited by nicjasno

i think this part would be very usefull for biggercranes like 42009. in opposite to the big turntable from lego it has 11 studs in diameter and can not jump out when it is built in the modell. it should be possible to produce it with a classic mold

12339501945_3e1ee46b1c_z.jpg

12339777573_a25886d597_z.jpg

Edited by efferman

There are more simple ways to make a turntable that will not "jump out". Simpler means not 3 parts but 2. Lookt at how the new small turntable is made. That's what we need in bigger size :-)

Erland

Part Design

efferman: the mk2 version will be. Expect it this weekend.

Once i know the position of all elements i'l also try to minimise the use of material, like it is done in the lego elements. (no liftarm or connector is actually "full" but has as many intendations/slots as possible to keep material usage to a minimum while still retaining the necessary strength.

You don't make slots etc. to keep material usage low, you do it to keep as equal material thickness as possible in the part. Moulding a part with big differences in material thicknesses is problematic. Look at a standard beam, and notice the wavy sides. This is due to different speeds of cooling after the molding process, caused by differences in material thickness.

Erland

Part Design

True. I'd say that it has a double effect. Aiding cooling and having a part that uses less material and is lighter.

There are more simple ways to make a turntable that will not "jump out". Simpler means not 3 parts but 2. Lookt at how the new small turntable is made. That's what we need in bigger size :-)

Erland

Part Design

but why lego dont do it?

unfortunately lego will never do a bigger turntable, because the actual is good enough for kids

What i don't understand is, why lego made the small wheel hubs the way they are done, if all they needed to do is a new rotor that fits in the small turntable.

my first parts are arrived, and they fit very tight. the holes for the gears i had to make it more wide because the holes was two tenths to small. the pins which are holding the rim are fit perfect. the ring which holds the part on the turntable base fits, but it is tight and needs grease to rotate.

12476327924_009cb8997c.jpg

12476002943_0c3c50d5cc.jpg

mounted

12476328684_123e9ce93c.jpg

12476329064_bf9cac37b9.jpg

12475858015_f8ea1cc9ee.jpg

the material itself seems to be strong, so i think my turntable should work

edit:

and it is ordered in the same quality for 53 euro

Edited by efferman

That is very nice. Is that 3d printed? How is the finish? Do you have any close up pics? And what was the final price? Also, how is the strength of it?

the finish is like sandpaper, if you choose on flickr the biggest picture size you can see the surface. the stability seems very good and the price was 38 euro atr the service rapidobject.com

eyes only, but two turntables are five times cheaper than one of these parts. but if lego could produce a part like this in a mold it would be very cool

edit:

here are two ideas for custom universal joints and CV joints

12480117575_c7afa41200.jpg

12478058894_7321073a91.jpg

cvaxlejoint von efferman auf Flickr

Edited by efferman

@ Efferman,

If you shorten the joints to 1 stud at the end, would it make sense? An usefull application can be when the A-arms of a suspension may have a maximum size of 4 studs (use of part 6538c). When going bigger, the usefullness of this part will lower fast. (or not?)

the new cv joint ball part can be used with the old ball part to fit for a 4 stud long suspension link, so i think this part will give enough options. the universal joint can be used like the actual dark grey cv joint part, only with a bigger moving range.

edit

would you declare this part as usefull?

12482060265_2d7740c51d.jpg

Edited by efferman

the new cv joint ball part can be used with the old ball part to fit for a 4 stud long suspension link, so i think this part will give enough options. the universal joint can be used like the actual dark grey cv joint part, only with a bigger moving range.

edit

I want this. I want this so much.

edit

That would be useful, but I think an axle would help, since the ball joint socket shouldn't need to rotate.

multilink suspensions maybe, or for gearshifting, for steering links, having the part and the ideas will come

Where would one use that?

Coming from the man who builds suspensions on a regular basis... Don't mean to sound rude, but you really don't see a use for this?

is this chamfer enough

12499516274_ee8b3ef0e5.jpg

kugelpfannenpin von efferman auf Flickr

i think, pin and axle version are worth to exist

If you somehow export this file to the format used in LDraw ( I think it's .dat), people could experiment with the part in LDraw.

is this chamfer enough

12499516274_ee8b3ef0e5.jpg

kugelpfannenpin von efferman auf Flickr

i think, pin and axle version are worth to exist

If you somehow export this file to the format used in LDraw ( I think it's .dat), people could experiment with the part in LDraw.

unfortunately my version of inventor can not convert in .dat

edit:

what do you think about this sprocket gear? fits on a turntable with planetary gear option, and on a simple crossaxle. and with its 24 tooths it is made for big tracked vehicles

12503575314_b4d854c16e.jpg

Edited by efferman