Efferman,

Many thanks - that's exactly what I need.

Also useful for making ferris wheels and fairground rides.

Once price is known will be ordering with next batch of 3D parts from Shapeway.

As promised, here are my experiences with your 42030 wheel covers, so here it goes.

Contrary to my Unimog covers, this time I wanted to get a smooth finish so after receiving the parts, I started sanding by hand and with a small power tool. However, I wouldn't recommend this because I ended up with some polished areas, but the difficult to reach areas were still rough and some of the details (fake wheel nuts) were damaged by the process. It took a lot of time to get an acceptable finish.

Luckily, the painting step went a lot easier because I found a close to perfect colour match with a Motip acrylic spray paint in a rattle can (nr43570).

In conclusion, the end result is not perfect but all in all I'm happy with the end result:

2qtv2a8.jpg

315zywp.jpg

Efferman, thank you for your design, it really completes this excellent set.

As promised, here are my experiences with your 42030 wheel covers, so here it goes.

Those rims do look mighty fine, and as a layman I wouldn't even know there were problems unless pointed out.

Can you try to make a portal hub gear protector to keep dirt out for the 9398 hubs the connect using the two pin holes near the dark grey hub?

Could you design a steered wheel hub, like the normal ones used in 42037, but instead of a slot for a cv joint, it has an attached half of a universal joint, like kind of recessed so you could have front wheel drive with full range of suspension travel? (If you do I promise I'll go make a donation to a local animal shelter :D)

edit- invalid link

Edited by MRP_

MRP_,

The part that Efferman posted is stronger and has a closer pivot than your concept. I have a pair and they 'get-r-done'!! I've even managed to make a training arm IRS with them.

v/r

Andy

Hmmm yeah that looks good, but I dont have any of the balls that go into it, do you have a print for those, or would I have to go to bricklink?

My friend's looking into buying a 3D printer, I might have him do it...

Please no moulded ball joints on the hubs. If we do hubs, they need only pin and axleholes.

Ye I know I don't NEED it but I'm lazy and it would make things easier and look nicer...

Can someone post images of all the current wheel hubs with 8880 cv joint from this thread?

I see... that one isn'tvery good looking. looks very fragile and has ball joints on it, which is a big no-no.

Read back mate, the people who actually have one beg to differ...

Here are those hubs with the ball adaptors from 8880.

7QNmfGcs.jpg

1oz8guSs.jpg

QD9MqnLs.jpg

HyIAAXks.jpg

This iteration is far better than V1 and should hold up to a great deal of abuse. Basically the same architecture was used in this MOC.

With the ball part installed, I can not separate the wheel adaptor from the hub, but removal of the ball may weaken the structure. After all, the ridge that holds the wheel adaptor to the hub is preventing from deflecting by the presence of the ball.

v/r

Andy

It seems I got kind of skipped over before, I was just wondering if you have a design for those ball adapters, to print, or would I have to order some from bricklink or something?

The problem wit the integrated ball joints is, that it completly eliminates all suspension variations. It's then only made for a double wishbone setup, and that's it.