I have finally found a moment to test Efferman's propellers. These: http://www.shapeways.com/product/5FGQ2E6CX/boat-propellor-5-studs

I think they work pretty well. I have noticed that they generate some thrust sideways, but I guess that's inevitable. Most of the thrust is going in the desired direction, though, the speed is really good and I think there is less drag and smoother water flow than with regular Lego propellers.

Great video Pawel! I was waiting for it! But I have awaited more trust... Try to gear it up!

I have awaited something like this:

Max...

The cover would probably help a bit if it was very smooth. But I don't see any way to make it smooth with LEGO. A 3D-printed cover, perhaps?

The video Max linked shows larger propellers, I think. The size of a propeller has huge impact on how much thrust you get, especially since it's not always faster = better. All propellers are efficient within certain speed ranges and above certain speed they just don't get any more effective.

i think this would be amazing for lego boats:

, but, it would be almost impossible to recreate with lego but its maybe possible with 3D printed parts (however its very hard too). Edited by ImanolBB

The cover would probably help a bit if it was very smooth. But I don't see any way to make it smooth with LEGO. A 3D-printed cover, perhaps?

The video Max linked shows larger propellers, I think. The size of a propeller has huge impact on how much thrust you get, especially since it's not always faster = better. All propellers are efficient within certain speed ranges and above certain speed they just don't get any more effective.

Yes you're right... I have just awaited more trust from the 3D propellers... They are nicer, smaller and designed for opposite direction to zero the vibrations...

I have geared up the simple propellers on my video and archieved very good trust... On video is state before gearing up...

Max...

Edited by MaxSupercars

Effe, have your tried your new outrigger parts on the Arocs set yet and how well do they look and function in comparison to the current outrigger setup? How would you motorise the larger one?

Thanks

i have them, and they have the right size, but on the place where iam be i had not the right and enough parts to integrate them

Can you perhaps do a 5x5x4 (5 long 5 wide and 4 tall (4 tall in bricks) slope corner piece that would go in here:

640x354.jpg

I need this for my alien base, I'd need 10 of the corner pieces to make it the ramps look complete

Hello Efferman, is it possible to make a design for 2 or 3 crane arm sections (which can slide in each other) and who can be extended by the new 1x11 pneumatic cilinder?

Something like the black parts on the pictures:

IMG_0539.jpg

IMG_0516.jpg

Jan, iam working on something, but actually there is no time for inventor

21377237695_cb2fc5f9d7_c.jpg

knuckleboom by Michael Wirth, auf Flickr

snipe, it is surely possible to design a part like this, but you would have to paint them.

Gevans, the outrigger pieces are working, but i have to change some small points. and like written above, there is actually no time for inventor

I don't want to be controversial but let me say; where will end up if we start to design custom parts? It won't be anymore a LEGO thing, but simply a 3D printed toy! Custom parts eliminate the fun and the challenge of designing and bulding a LEGO MOC, there are plenty of ways to design a 3/4 sections boom.

I don't want to be controversial but let me say; where will end up if we start to design custom parts? It won't be anymore a LEGO thing, but simply a 3D printed toy! Custom parts eliminate the fun and the challenge of designing and bulding a LEGO MOC, there are plenty of ways to design a 3/4 sections boom.

Start to design? It has been going on for quite a while, and a lot of people seem to appreciate it. So far the main products seem to be useful parts that allow for functions and aestetics not possible with Lego. And by not possible, I mean within the desired size and or strength.

Building a 3/4 section boom that has good strength, looks and scale is not an easy feat. I know you've been working on something you say will be the most awesomest Technic truck crane ever, but so far you haven't shown anything that convinces me :classic:

But each to his/her own. Some are more purist than others :thumbup:

DK3 i know it's been a while, but one thing is to design a specific pin or another small part, one thing is to design a whole boom with sections! It won't look like a Lego thing. Effernam made those really nice leaf springs, I do made the same using only Lego parts and they work perfectly having also a differential for 8X8 trucks! About my crane, it doesn't convince you simply because I showed so little! Unfortunately I was waiting for new parts to complete them, but the early prototypes work week well and trust me are impressive! When finished I'll show you and hopefully I'll convince you and impress you too! Anyway I'm a purist so of course I tend not to like custom parts! But it's my opinion...just this!

The 3D printed parts are not really pretty (grainy or colors that never perfectly match lego) and I like them when they are used to explore an entirely new idea, not to make something easier. For example, I recently got a couple female ball gear CV joint counterparts (to fit the ball gears like in 8880 supercar) as a substitute to U-joints. Not because it's easier but because it simply won't work any other way, every single u-joint at the scale i'm building in WILL break with 2-4 buggy motors, either right away or after some time. So I get these to try and see if they will survive the strain. I will agree, simply making parts for easy solutions when lego solutions exist, takes the fun out of finding out purist solutions, but when there is none and the custom parts explore new levels of performance/function it's nice to see it. And of course MOCs using non lego parts are labelled as such, can't be used in contests etc, so it's just personal interest. I understand both opinions. Also makes me wonder if Lego will make new parts similar to the ones people design, such as bringing back CV joints using the old ball gears! It's so much stronger than a U-joint and works more smoothly!

True, but I think sometimes we pretend too much from Lego and we missunderstand the meaning of Lego. When you mention 2-4 buggy motors you probably better looking at RC model made out of metal. After all Lego it's not about performances ( high speed cars). Often I see people trying to make cranes able to lift lots of kilograms using iron parts as counterweight, why not simply design it to display their own beauty?! Anyway we do share opinions and we do have different tastes!

I would, but man it is expensive, and I have other hobbies I spend money on, so I work with what I have now :laugh: It's fun seeing how far you can push Lego, and you can use the same parts to make completely different things. I am reaching the end with my last few projects, though, and my current project will be the first of mine to use a printed piece. I guess I might move on, but that'll be a few hundred dollar investment and I'm not selling my Lego! On one hand, I love seeing people push the limits, and on the other, I love seeing purist MOCs using very creative solutions and fine aesthetics , including yours.

Great discusion guys :thumbup: , but this topic is about Efferman's custom parts :wink: .

I think that you can better make a new topic for this discusion :laugh: