Eric, theoretical printing in steel is possible, but practical there would be a need for a win in a lottery. I prefer the version with the lego rollers.

Hi Efferman !

I already mentioned about this on youtube. Me too, I plan to make LEGO parts with a 3D printer.

I am doing this today with CATIA :

703214godet4.jpg

I'll print them Monday in my school.

I saw that you too had made a bucket. Can you tell me if it is strong ?

Works in progress,

best regards !

Edited by TeClem8

cool buckets, unfortunately i dont have made these buckets. someone had ordered them, but they dont have made a feedback

I'll print them Monday in my school.

I wish I was in your school !

Do you want to make them in black color ?

Hi Oracid ! I'm happy to see you here !

Yes, if black color is available, i make them in black.

But otherwise I make them in white and I paint them carefully in black.

Hi,

I was wondering what is the reason that made you choose nylon rather than ABS which is the original material of Lego?

Thank you Eff.

Here are two excellent reasons that I will pass on to my friends on a French forum.

I myself intend to start in 3D printing and your experience is very valuable.

It's a tradeoff. Nylon is stronger than ABS (~70 MPa vs. 40) but is also less stiff and less resilient.

Nylon, not ABS. This is interesting to know. Not that it will have any effect on whether or not I use any Efferman brand parts. The only valid question there is money.

I saw the strangest piece in a dream this morning but cant think how to describe it, shame it was and interesting piece that I would have tried to find a use for. It was like a frame with the Technic pin holes connected to a circle in the middle by little springs. Anyway it looked cool and I want that.

I saw the strangest piece in a dream this morning but cant think how to describe it, shame it was and interesting piece that I would have tried to find a use for. It was like a frame with the Technic pin holes connected to a circle in the middle by little springs. Anyway it looked cool and I want that.

??

Might the piece you want be like a spoked wheel, where each spoke is spring loaded? That could be interesting.

Hi Eff,

One more question if you please. Does the Nylon much more expensive than the ABS ?

nylon is the cheapest option at shapeways

This is a good news ! Thank you.

Hey Guys !

My bugket are printed !

Part in ABS ivory

Support in PVA (dissolves in water)

Process time : 13h 40

cost : more 100 €

470195IMAG0367.jpg

796578IMAG0368.jpg

The little details are good !

977104IMAG0374.jpg

And a littel test :

I'm very happy of this first 3D print !

@+ !

Hey Guys !

My bugket are printed !

That's a good job, congratulations!

Can you explain what the PVA is ?

How strong are the printed parts? as If one wanted to produce stronger durable ones, the part could be sanded down to remove the grainy bits from the printer and create a mold and use resin to cast it, instead of printing.

Efferman,

Could you cook up some u-joints that are two studs in diameter instead of only one. Both the normal style and the slide style.

The added diameter should increase the strength of the part. Keeping them three studs long would be ideal. This design would likely not be able to achieve the extreme angles of other designs, but would offer improved strength.

On the current parts two things happen when subjected to extreme shock loads...

1. The 'ears' snap off.
  2. The center cross moves too freely causing catastrophic wobble. Keeping the joint in a portal hub or similar manner prevents this, but when used for drive shafts they fail.

I'm using your joints in your portal hubs and they hold up, but when I use them on drive shafts they inevitably explode.

v/r

Andy

I'll give those parts a try and let you know how they turn out. Thanks for the alternative recommendation.

v/r

Andy