I purchased the XL linear actuator and have been playing with it. First off, it took a LOT of sanding before I could get it to work. There was some dust in the threads that needed to be removed (no problem), but also the threads were too tight and would not go together. I removed some outer diameter of the male threads with 80 grit sandpaper, then I filed the thread flanks with a tapered file until everything moved smoothly. I also had to enlarge the axle holes which were too tight to get an axle through.

Now that the actuator is working, I have some questions. The design came with 2 different ring gears. One of them seems to be too big and doesn't fit. Why are there 2? The clutch seems very tight and I can't get it to slip before a motor stalls. I know you mentioned that the original clutch was too loose.

I really like this actuator and am looking forward to integrating it into a model.

I also purchased the Countach wheel covers which look amazing on my Countach.

Hi Blakbird, the smaller teethring is indeed the clutch and it slips only when the actuator is retracting. The other teethring eliminates the clutch function. I have made this to give the owner the choice to make what he want.

Your needed work to make it work smooth makes me really sceptic about the printing process. every time the result is different.

Can you please make a picture from the countach with its rimcovers?

Hi Blakbird, the smaller teethring is indeed the clutch and it slips only when the actuator is retracting. The other teethring eliminates the clutch function. I have made this to give the owner the choice to make what he want.

OK, I guess the other ring fits so tight that I can't install it. Because all of my dimensions seemed to be large, that is probably why I can't even get the smaller ring to slip.

Your needed work to make it work smooth makes me really sceptic about the printing process. every time the result is different.

The tolerances on 3D printing are still not very good, so it is not too surprising that each result is different.

Can you please make a picture from the countach with its rimcovers?

I will try to remember to take a picture tonight.

i have made a new part. It is a Adaptor to mount a rc rim on the lego 3 pin mount system. The Hexagon for the rc rim has a width of 12mm. If someone has rims with a bigger Hexagon, please take a calliper and call me its dimensions. To secure the rim on the adaptor is a 4mm screw with hexagon head necessary.

625x465_2942258_7891954_1418232008.jpg

I just got into LEGO Technic this Christmas via my two sons, but, since I teach product development, I'd like to chip in here and suggest you also try https://materialise-onsite.com/ which provides a wide quality material selection and good pricing policies for rapid prototyping of detailed pieces such as yours. The service is available multilingual. In any case, great dedication and work shown here - good luck!

@Efferman:

I don't know if it is asked before, but I would really like a modified version of this part.

Instead of a 2L axle, I would rather have a 3L axle. This would come in handy while making small suspension set-ups (like Piterx did on his Fiat Panda), so the wheel doesn't slide easly off the axle.

Thanks in advance,

Fresko

Efferman, didn't you noticed my question? Is it possible to make de .STL file?

useless user, thanks for this info, i will try it. the transparent parts are looking interresting

Fresko, here it is

625x465_2985636_8077188_1419749043.jpg

edit:

Ben20, it works, but be sure the driving gear is supported properly

Edited by efferman

i have made new fake engine parts

16156325415_c43eb377a8_z.jpg

the complete V6, is with triangles at his ends 6 studs long, and the crankshaft plates makes a displacement of 120 degrees.

625x465_2985947_8108912_1420038255.jpg

is there an interrest in V8, V10 and V12?

looks like a useful part, I would say there would be a need for a V8 engine or even something along the lines of a 6 or 8 cylinder radial engine would be useful, as lego cylinders are bulky at that size. Another interesting concept would be a W16 engine.

Edited by Tommy Styrvoky

is there an interrest in V8, V10 and V12?

Maybe make those "cylinder housings" separate single parts so user can build the engine to have any cylinder amount?

Efferman...thanks for doing that 4L pin. I was wondering if you could design a pin/connector to hold a 7mm ribbed hose?

http://www.bricklink.com/catalogList.asp?catType=P&catString=522

Looking for a pin like this: 15100.jpg?1

But with a cut out in the round pinhole are...so as you could push in a 7mm hose and basically the pin connector is being used to hold 7mm hoses in place and as a cable guide.

I guess the area where the hose will fit would have to be 8mm or something?

This pic will give you an idea of what i am thinking about:

3329.jpg

wow that new engine blocks look great.

however, am I seeing things right or is the only possible configuration V (on the last stackable video)?

I love to make boxers with lego engines. Not too popular as far as I searched this forum.