Sign in to follow this  
Capn Frank

HMS Charlie

thindexedgif.gif 28d

Well i got a little side-tracked with building the DDW X-D

And spent the last few days on a ship with a prefab hull with spare parts.

Well first off here's Charlie X-D . She's my cat.

hpim1162.jpg

I didn't know what to name this ship, so I named this ship after her. :-$

Here's me brig. It's not done yet, but it's almost. I don't really have much of a crew for her right now.

Probably will use up all of my imperials to crew her. :-/

hmscprogressstarboard.jpg

Its got 10 long nines or twelves able to be on it with a broadside of 5 guns and no chasers.

I could have easily placed more gun ports on this ship, but it won't have a very large crew cause they're going to be on the DDW X-D .

Couple of semi-blurry closeups:

hmscprogressstarboardstern.jpg_thumb.jpghmscprogressstarboardbow.jpg_thumb.jpg

Here's a closeup of the stern:

hmscprogressstern2.jpg

Seeing how the DDW used up almost all of my latice windows, i had to improvise :-$

Here's the BS folder when moderated.

And the Wiki article about brigs.

P

Nice ship there, Mr. Phred. I think my favorite part is the improvision, although the 'windows' on both the starboard and port sterncastle sides are a bit puny and silly looking.....

So is Charlie going to be able to fit in this eponymously named vessel? X-D

Nah....ya think?

So is Charlie going to be able to fit in this eponymously named vessel? X-D

She's a fat cat, so probably not :-P

Nice ship there, Mr. Phred. I think my favorite part is the improvision, although the 'windows' on both the starboard and port sterncastle sides are a bit puny and silly looking.....

Well i was originally was going to try to make the HMS Sophie off the cover of Master and Commander.

Then i realized my beam was about 8 studs too thin so i kept the original stern and built the rest of the ship.

{74D1567F-DDE7-4928-9006-23D39CE02248}Img100.jpg

That's why there's a little window there :-/

P

I like that cat!

She has a good color scheme and some nice lines :-D

And she looks rather cute *wub*

She reminds me of a cat I once had, but she died some years ago.

My cat was called Brenda (like that Brenda from Beverly Hill 90201).

I'll say something about the ship in a later post :-P

hpim1162.jpg

Phred

Nice ship bro! *y* *y* Why didn't you tell me you were building another ship?

Anyways I like the color scheme and especially how this appears to be a pretty sleek early 19th brig sloop.

This ship is probably a little more in my class than your Dame du Loup, but then again you still have the Dame du Loup and now I shall have to battle more ships :'-( . Oh well this will just add to the excitement. *sweet*

Duke

Well i was originally was going to try to make the HMS Sophie off the cover of Master and Commander.

Then i realized my beam was about 8 studs too thin so i kept the original stern and built the rest of the ship

What kind of ship is the HMS Sophie? I'd look it up myself but I'm in class right now and should even be posting here. Naughty me.

I like that cat!

She has a good color scheme and some nice lines :-D

And she looks rather cute *wub*

She reminds me of a cat I once had, but she died some years ago.

My cat was called Brenda (like that Brenda from Beverly Hill 90201).

She may look cute, but she can be very mean to everyone except me :-P

What kind of ship is the HMS Sophie? I'd look it up myself but I'm in class right now and should even be posting here. Naughty me.

The HMS Sophie is a larger Brig loosely based on the HMS Speedy in ship design and story line.

HMS Speedy Wiki article

Couple of thumbnail links of a model of the HMS Sophie:

sophie_05.jpg_thumb.jpg * sophie_02.jpg_thumb.jpg

P

Edit:

As of 20APR07, here's some pics of the HMS Charlie:

hmscstarboardstern.w.sails.jpg

hmscbow.w.sails.jpg

hmscstern.w.sails.jpg

The start of the crew for me ship.

I'm able to make 5 british marines with shakos and a couple of blue imperials for officers.

P

Looks pretty good Phred-o, but I am not sure how I feel about the Red Yardarms... maybe you are running low on black, but the red just doesn't float my boat!!

Also, once again you are forced to use rown :'-( I feel your pain!

Duke: Maybe you should make an alliance with someone with more firepower! ;-)

You are make good progress on the ship.

I like this color scheme. It looks very British.

And I really like integrated cabins like you did on this ship.

That's also how I did it on the Orient (I still have to finish that ship :'-( ).

But I agree with Z on the red yardarms.

Looks pretty good Phred-o, but I am not sure how I feel about the Red Yardarms... maybe you are running low on black, but the red just doesn't float my boat!!

Also, once again you are forced to use rown :'-( I feel your pain!

Duke: Maybe you should make an alliance with someone with more firepower! ;-)

I have BARELY enough 1x8, 1x6, or 1x10 black plates to finish the DDW.

What i had enough of was red, yellow, and white :S .

Of those three i thought red was the best.

Hopefully will be getting more black plates off of BL in the next month.

You are make good progress on the ship.

I like this color scheme. It looks very British.

And I really like integrated cabins like you did on this ship.

That's also how I did it on the Orient (I still have to finish that ship :'-( ).

But I agree with Z on the red yardarms.

Hey B,

you get the HMS Speedy Wiki article on the Wiki index?

When ya gonna have new pics and an update of the L'Oriente?

Thanx for the compliments guys X-D *y*

I made this ship as a practice of a couple of things:

Tried using 2 4276a.1078119401.jpg and 2 4275a.1078119411.jpg and 1 3068bpx99.1133841424.jpg for porthole covers instead of 2x2 flags.

and tried using paper sails instead of cloth.

P

P

Hey B,

you get the HMS Speedy Wiki article on the Wiki index?

Jep, now it's added.

When ya gonna have new pics and an update of the L'Oriente?

I hope to get it finished in about 14 day (with paper sails).

Then I'll make a new thread with the final pics.

I made this ship as a practice of a couple of things:

Tried using 2 4276a.1078119401.jpg and 2 4275a.1078119411.jpg and 1 3068bpx99.1133841424.jpg for porthole covers instead of 2x2 flags.

Good idea, those 2x2 flags where sometimes really hard to find in big amounts (for a good price).

I hope to get it finished in about 14 day (with paper sails).

When you're crimping the sails between plates, have the paper barely touching the studs.

Otherwise it looks like the top sail here:

hmscsails.jpg

But the bottom one was barely touching the studs and i think it turned out real nice *y*

Then I'll make a new thread with the final pics.

Good idea, those 2x2 flags where sometimes really hard to find in big amounts (for a good price).

The port holes are exactly the same size, and you put 2 of the hinge plates at the exact same spot as the "flag mount".

So if you wanted, you could even convert your current ships too.

It's also real easy to find each piece for 0.04 USD (usually less) in large quantities.

I can't really take credit for the idea cause i saw it on a another thread here somewhere.

P

Edit:

Found the thread where i got that port hole idea:

It's the HMS Bellarophon by Paladin. X-D

(sorry for the double post; didn't think i'd get done with the HMS Charlie today)

Well here it is.

Red yard arms and all :-P

hms.charlie.jpg

this one should work for the index :-$

Here's the thumbnail link: hms.charlie.jpg_thumb.jpg

Here are a couple of pics with the HMS Charlie next to the Dame du Loup:

hmsc.n.ddw1.jpg

hms.charlie.w.ddw.jpg

Thanx to B, I was able to get a real nice looking british flag in the back *y*

P

This is a good looking ship. I really like it!

It's nice to see a ship that's not stuffed with cannons.

And it has a real British navy flag :-D .

It's now part of the Index: MOC ships.

hmsc.n.ddw1.jpg

hms.charlie.w.ddw.jpg

Looks like your Imperials are out gunned! I heard Duke is sending in backup though, so you better watch out!

The DDW looks like it could take the Charlie, well maybe! I think when fighting a ship of this size best options are 1) RUN AWAY! and 2)If the Charlie could cut across the rear and take out that huge rudder on the DDW, it might have a chance to get some reinforcements... where is Duke when you need him?

I think I like the HMS Charlie better than the Dame du Loup - the colour scheme works much better as I think the constrast between the black and white of the Dame du Loup is too severe.

For some reason I always seem to be the first to ask about the sails - or am I the only one who worries about things like that. In this case, are you going to add sails or are these paper sails the final version?

WOW! That turned out very good Phred. That gets me thinking, do you happen to follow the well-known philosiphy of many Imperial builders? That all the Imperials are one team, except the armada. I think you should adapt that to this situation.

Looks like your Imperials are out gunned! I heard Duke is sending in backup though, so you better watch out!

The DDW looks like it could take the Charlie, well maybe! I think when fighting a ship of this size best options are 1) RUN AWAY! and 2)If the Charlie could cut across the rear and take out that huge rudder on the DDW, it might have a chance to get some reinforcements... where is Duke when you need him?

"Right now" the DDW is a french vessel. ;-)

So you could say my British Soldiers are heavily out numbered by Dukes(the imperials currently on the DDW) "french" soldiers.

Since it is a french built vessel, it needed to start out with a french crew and then get taken over by pirates >8-)

It's too bad the HMS Charlie is calculated to go only 12.6 knots while the DDW may be able to go an estimated 17 knots, so the HMS Charlie can't run away from the DDW :'-(

I think I like the HMS Charlie better than the Dame du Loup - the colour scheme works much better as I think the constrast between the black and white of the Dame du Loup is too severe.

For some reason I always seem to be the first to ask about the sails - or am I the only one who worries about things like that. In this case, are you going to add sails or are these paper sails the final version?

I consider these two ships my "practice" ships, so i know what type of pieces to get in the future to build som serious ships (like the USS Constitution and HMS Sophie). >8-)

The HMS Charlie is much smaller than the DDw so it was a lot easier to get a better color coordination.

The paper sails are the final sails (for now :-$ )

WOW! That turned out very good Phred. That gets me thinking, do you happen to follow the well-known philosiphy of many Imperial builders? That all the Imperials are one team, except the armada. I think you should adapt that to this situation.

I usually mix my imperials to try to get the correct uniform colors for a particular country.

For instance, on the HMS Charlie, the marines are red shirts, while the captain and officers have blue shirts.

P

I consider these two ships my "practice" ships, so i know what type of pieces to get in the future to build som serious ships (like the USS Constitution and HMS Sophie). >8-)

How did you find the experience of building these "pratice" ships? Did it help you to figure out a lot of the problems and improve your desgin skills? Whenever I set about creating something I usually find it takes a few goes to get the way I want it.

How did you find the experience of building these "pratice" ships? Did it help you to figure out a lot of the problems and improve your desgin skills? Whenever I set about creating something I usually find it takes a few goes to get the way I want it.

From the HMS Charlie:

I figured out how to use 4 1x2 hinge plates and a 2x2 tile for gun ports and found that it was really easy and cheaper to get port-hole covers in black rather than using 2x2 flags.

Also, I now know what type of paper i'd like to get for paper sails and how to make them turn out really nice when crimping the sails between 2 plates.

From the DDW:

I figured out where it is better to make a ship modularized. Not near the rigging at all; the rigging for the main and fore mast aren't very sturdy |-/ , but they still hold.

For hull construction, i'd like integrate the technique of this ship for the bow and stern:

treasureship02.jpg_thumb.jpg

But i know that facets and wedges work ok for the bow and can be built very sturdy. *y*

Also, I like the usage of space wheels on the bottom of the entire model. Makes it real easy to move a 9+ kg model around when working on it. X-D

Those are the main things i've learned from these two ships :)

I think i'm now ready for something bigger X-D

P

How much bigger?

I thought the HMS Constitution was big enough!

HMS Constitution? Dont know how big that one is, but anywayz...

...I was talking about the USS Constituion cause it's gonna be bigger than the DDW. :-$

P

Looking good Mr Phred! Very good, considering this is your first prefab hull-built ship in ten years.

The colour scheme looks fine, although I have to agree with the yardarm-thingy.

The windows of the cabin look brilliant! I think I'll use those lattice fences for the Unclaimable and the Acheron too. The only thing I don't like, is this:

hmscprogressportstuds.jpg

the studs on the side... I don't really like the look of it.

Other than that it's good.

Mr Tiber