Rick

2014 CREATOR Houses Sets - Rumours and Discussion

I really like the color scheme of the buildings.

And, yes; looks like a great parts pack - doors, windows, the color bricks and tile.

Only deciding factor is the overall price, and the price per piece.

I'm liking this set. I'd use it not as a part pack but like a mom and pop shop on the outskirts of my downtown modular core.

If you look at the bike shop modular, the side that has the smallest roller door in history :sceptic: appears to have a modified brick to accept clip brick on the other side (front of the bike shop).

Though I feel the cafe might be the same and I think the florist is upstairs above the cafe ? :look:

Even see it in hi-res doesn't help much. :blush:

I agree completely. The OOB model doesn't look very impressive, but the parts selection looks interesting enough to get the sets for parts to start MOCing.

Oh wow! Now that's the kind of pic I have been waiting for, thank you!

Doesn't look like I would use this straight out of the box but it looks to have a great assortment of parts. Imagine what you could build with a couple of these...

I need to see a lot more photos than this... you can't see inside the buildings, nor do you really get an impression of what the buildings look like closed up. You can't even see all of the minifigures, or anything really useful about the reverse half of the café building. I want to know what that weird little skylight looks like on the bike shop when the building is folded together, and what the deal is with that mini garage door on the ground floor.

In short, this image more teases than interests me...

55302-Thor-another-gif-LNWz.gif

I might be crazy, but on top of the bike shop/workshop modular I spy a turkey drumstick ? :look:

This set is an odd ball one, it has some ideas which are questionable and others which are just fantastic....i.e. same building - second level - the black window frame into the arches. :wink:

The drumstick lies on a grill obviously!

I'm more shocked by that giant raptor bird, haha

Yeah, I thought it was a simple BBQ hotplate......and yeah, that is one big bird.....perhaps that leg came from a similar bird eh ? :laugh:

Definitely has promise but it has a lot less modular in its DNA and a lot more Friends than the rumor mill had going around.

These look great IMO. I have been put off by the modular buildings as I don't have the space for all of them. This scale means I can have more in this style. Put me down for 2! ;)

If you look at the bike shop modular, the side that has the smallest roller door in history :sceptic: appears to have a modified brick to accept clip brick on the other side (front of the bike shop).
It looks to me like it's a 1x1 tile with clip and a small radar dish under it. It's just hard to tell because it's black. Edited by fhomess

Fantastic. Finally some nice houses that fit in perfectly with CITY. It reminds me of one of my favorite sets 376 which also opens with hinges.

I wonder how the alternative versions will look like.

I must say that I have mixed feelings on this set. I love it and will definitely be buying it (quite likely more than once if the price is right), but at the same time I was expecting more after hearing the description and before I saw the pictures.

A true modular is 16-32 studs wide and 32 studs deep, so I was hoping for two 16x16 plates for each building. Instead we have two 8x16 plates, and with some of that space given to the sidewalk/gutter area in front and back of the building, the buildings themselves aren't very large. When open, these should fit in well with LEGO City, but when closed they will be a bit small for a modular layout. Based on this photo, I find it hard to believe that this would be a $100 set. Compare it to Pet Shop, and for only 50% more money than that you are getting quite a few more bricks.

On the plus side, this set has a nice mix of colors for the bricks and roof, a good number of windows and doors, and even the window frames come in a variety of sizes and colors. This is an awesome parts pack, but somehow I still think it feels like a $70US set.

I must say that I have mixed feelings on this set. I love it and will definitely be buying it (quite likely more than once if the price is right), but at the same time I was expecting more after hearing the description and before I saw the pictures.

A true modular is 16-32 studs wide and 32 studs deep, so I was hoping for two 16x16 plates for each building. Instead we have two 8x16 plates, and with some of that space given to the sidewalk/gutter area in front and back of the building, the buildings themselves aren't very large. When open, these should fit in well with LEGO City, but when closed they will be a bit small for a modular layout. Based on this photo, I find it hard to believe that this would be a $100 set. Compare it to Pet Shop, and for only 50% more money than that you are getting quite a few more bricks.

On the plus side, this set has a nice mix of colors for the bricks and roof, a good number of windows and doors, and even the window frames come in a variety of sizes and colors. This is an awesome parts pack, but somehow I still think it feels like a $70US set.

Agreed with basically all of that. Finding these a little disappointing-- at the size they're at the sidewalks are a serious disservice. The interiors are going to be tiny. It does look like a decent parts pack, but it also needs like you'd need at least two, probably three, to do anything respectable with it. I wasn't expecting a full 16-wide modular, or anything, but I guess I imagined something somewhat more compatible than this.

And what kind of bike shop only has one bike. :facepalm: That's just insulting, really. I thought Lego might finally be bringing back the lessons learned from MMV but this doesn't inspire confidence.

Now by my guess, the auto repair shop is one of the other three builds......man, do we need a better picture of the box art. :blush:

I think people are being a little unfair... for one thing, as I said, this isn't the best photograph, you really don't get an impression of the space inside the buildings. The front halves of the buildings don't show any depth at all.

Secondly, this is a Creator set, not City or Modular, so the focus is on providing a good assortment of bricks for you to make what you want out of, design comes second to that which is why the vehicles always look a bit naff.

Thirdly, I think one of the alternative builds includes the bricks from both buildings put together, so it might well be the be something larger and more in keeping with the modulars.

I think people are being a little unfair... for one thing, as I said, this isn't the best photograph, you really don't get an impression of the space inside the buildings. The front halves of the buildings don't show any depth at all.

Secondly, this is a Creator set, not City or Modular, so the focus is on providing a good assortment of bricks for you to make what you want out of, design comes second to that which is why the vehicles always look a bit naff.

Thirdly, I think one of the alternative builds includes the bricks from both buildings put together, so it might well be the be something larger and more in keeping with the modulars.

Well, even if you can't tell a lot from the depth on the picture, neither building is more than 12 studs deep. The bike shop looks to be 12, the other looks to be 10. The actual part selection does look decent, but it suffers from the smallness of each building. Even combining them together I think you'd be hard pressed to make one decent looking two-story 16-wide modular structure. I like them, I suppose, I just think they could've done without the sidewalk part of the build and had more actual bricks to compensate.

Also, it really depends on the price range. If this ends up being $70-80, as rumored, and you need two of them to do much of anything with, why not just buy one of the actual modulars that will (most likely) amount to more parts?

Edited by Hrafnblod

What a disapppointment! 1000 pc and this is the result? Two really small, albeit cute, buildings. I was anticipating something more along the modular line. Okay, architecturally they're sort of in line with the PS. And they look nice. But the scale is all wrong. Not only is it wrong when comparing to modulars, it's also wrong compared to past Creator houses. Way too small. More like detailed City houses.

Not only is the width and length lacking, also the height is too small. 6 studs for one floor is like a 1980s City house.

Since I like the looks of the second floor of the bike shop, I'll probably have to buy at least two, probably three sets and turn it into a modular. But the cafe doesn't really offer anything. And no cool yellow, either. Sad.

I don't think any fan can have complaints about this product. We've been asking for more town-esque buildings to put in a typical Lego layout, and that is exactly what we've got. This won't be a one off either, it is surely a new sub-theme.

To me the OOB model looks fine enough, but as with all Creator products, the design encourages a builder to use their own imagination and develop those ideas further. Sure enough, the buildings don't look as polished as those in City, but the whole point of Creator is to draw attention to building techniques and construction.

Just imagine what you could build with two of these... :moar:

I was anticipating something more along the modular line. Okay, architecturally they're sort of in line with the PS. And they look nice. But the scale is all wrong.

Why were you anticipating a modular building style? That itself is a sub-theme in Creator Expert, where the higher piece count and advanced building techniques justify a larger, more expensive model. This particular model is targeted at a younger age bracket, and the designs themselves aren't inspired by iconic architecture.

The scale is perfectly fine for a small town plan. Even the late-80's 'Legoland' Town buildings were smaller than these.

Edited by nesquik

Why were you anticipating a modular building style?

I guess I was just being optimistic. Plus the blurry preview pic and my observations at the London toy fair gave me hints in this direction.

Nevertheless, when the disapppointment slowly wears off, as it surely will by June when this will be released (?), this will serve as a nice MOC/MOD pack. The scale is about the same as in last year's 60026 Town Square and I managed to combine two of those into a neat modern modular.

I agree that this is a very nice set. Considering TLG has never compared this set to the modulars, as far as I know, then it seems silly to fault it for not meeting some self-defined 'mini-modular' or 'modular-compatible' standard. I take the set on its own merits and find it quite appealing.