just2good

LEGO Hobbit 2014

Hi guys!

I've been following this thread for quite some time now and finally decided to sign up for an account. :)

I just want to bring you some good news. Minias Tirith on LEGO Ideas just reached 10000 supporters!!! Maybe there's hope for more sets after all?!? :D

As some others mentioned, the details about Azog being killed by Dain is mentioned in the appendix, specifically Appendix A: Durin's Folk. It details that he chops off Thror's head, brands "AZOG" into his forehead, and throws a moneybag out with it as "payment" for the realm of Moria. He was pretty gangster.

It's also noteworthy that Thror is killed couple of years before the battle, when he steps into Moria alone. Such a foolish thing to do if you ask me.

Still waiting to get BoFA dwarves and Bilbo from Bricklink, prices are now around 7€ for a fig so I'll waiting them to drop a bit. Galadriel seems to be relativelu easy.

I'm slightly surprised to read about how many people want a Bolg minifig. I confess I had to look up who he was. To me he was just another 'orc with lines' like that one from the seige of Minas Tirith. Not trying to be obnoxious, but I'm genuinely interested in why people would like a minifig of him.

To be honest, I really want Gothmog (the orc at Minas Tirith) as well. But that's a lot less likely than Bolg was.

Hi guys!

I've been following this thread for quite some time now and finally decided to sign up for an account. :)

I just want to bring you some good news. Minias Tirith on LEGO Ideas just reached 10000 supporters!!! Maybe there's hope for more sets after all?!? :D

Great news!! Now we just have to wait for the next review

Or it possibly joined Assault on Wayne Maner, the X-men Mansion, the Invisible Hand, and Lightsabers in the current review

I don't think so. That review has already started. Most likely it will be alongside the Avengers Helicarrier and the National History Museum in the next review: https://ideas.lego.com/discover#search/f:state=Achieved%20Support/s:most_recent&scroll=452.7273

Edited by bungeshea

Azog was killed in T.A. 2799, the events of The Hobbit begin in T.A. 2941, so he's been dead for a long time. Gandalf does mention him in the Unexpected Party chapter of the book as the orc who killed Thror. Bolg isn't mentioned at all until the 'Clouds Burst' chapter when he is introduced as the leader of the orc army in The Battle of Five Armies. Contrary to the film's narrative, he was more or less leading this charge as a form of revenge for the slaying of the Great Goblin. I think Azog might also have been referenced again in 'The Clouds Burst' to give context of who Bolg is and his history with the dwarves, but that's pretty much it for The Hobbit.

As some others mentioned, the details about Azog being killed by Dain is mentioned in the appendix, specifically Appendix A: Durin's Folk. It details that he chops off Thror's head, brands "AZOG" into his forehead, and throws a moneybag out with it as "payment" for the realm of Moria. He was pretty gangster.

Yes, yes he was.

I forgot that it was Dain-not Nain- who slew him. This makes me think that Dain will play a large role in defeating him in BotFA

It's also noteworthy that Thror is killed couple of years before the battle, when he steps into Moria alone. Such a foolish thing to do if you ask me.

Thror's nuts.

Lets not forget that the appendices revealed that Dain wielded a red axe in the battle with Azog... Pretty relevant for the LEGO Dain.

Thror's nuts.

I believe it was chalked up to the influence of his dwarf-ring... I honestly expected that to be a bigger plot point in these movies, seeing as they take quite a bit from the appendices and they are meant to tie in to LotR.

In the Hobbit, Legolas is not a key character.

In The Hobbit movies, he is. And thats what counts.

Edited by Ardelon

You seem to have forgotten that the sets are based off of the Hobbit film trilogy, and not the book. Legolas is an integral character in The Desolation of Smaug and The Battle of Five Armies, so it stands to reason that people would want to own a figure of him.

*snip*

Not the best pic, but it gives an idea.

Thanks for that pic, I do like Ori better with that beard piece.

Little bit off topic, but Dain II Ironfoot is on the scene.. Saw latest Tv spot :)

Curious thing that he doesnt posses a big red Axe but a BIG RED HAMMER

Edited by Blazej_Holen

ftfy, but yeah as was mentioned sets are based on film-canon not book canon, etc. I have a hard time keeping it sorted in my mind too; I'll see something irregular and have to remind myself that I'm wrong :p

I believe it was chalked up to the influence of his dwarf-ring... I honestly expected that to be a bigger plot point in these movies

Well, they at least mention the role/fate of that ring in the DoS: EE.

Little bit off topic, but Dain II Ironfoot is on the scene.. Saw latest Tv spot :)

Curious thing that he doesnt posses a big red Axe but a BIG RED HAMMER

WHAT SPOT??!!! *oh2*

Woah, that was awesome! Well, time to make a big red LEGO hammer!

Is it just me or Gandalf's hat looks more bluish this time? According to the books he was supposed to wear a blue hat, but the movies had never shown it.

On one of the cartoon channels, they are vigorously advertising the Lonely Mountain set. I have only seen commercials for this one and not the other three in the wave. The ad is clever enough with the focus on Smaug and the play features. Surely, this will be on a lot of want lists for Christmas. Then, the parents will see how much it costs :cry3:

The kiddos need parents who are largely not impacted by the recession, or it is going to have to be a joint gift from mom, dad, aunts, uncles, grandparents, and godparents. Kids, just tell them you really need this instead of socks and underwear, and..... good luck. :wink:

I am really excited form that swarf soldiers from Iron Hills and their shield formation.. Its just a split second but it feels really good. Shame that those dwarves are not in any of sets. At least there is Dain, and my army of Gimli minifigs :D

BTW is there some TV commercial for new sets? Where? Is there some lin to them?

Potential for people to make him more kingly by adding a cape. Shame they didnt print his beard to have the metal bits.

10213248165_27d48a1447.jpg