just2good

LEGO Hobbit 2014

looks like I need to dig through my extras to see if I still have him!

I found him! Blue coated Thorin was in my extras bag. No idea how I overlooked that. Whew!

Also, I'm not really familiar with the other parts of this forum so my apologies if this belongs somewhere else, but folks in the US, Toys R Us currently has a 15% off in-store coupon up that's good for tomorrow and Saturday

http://m.toysrus.com/graphics/media/trus/112014E_DS_TRU_BroadOfferCoupon_JLJB03.pdf?camp=CME:TRU:EM112014E_EmergencyBroadOffer&csep=acb99508-3c5e-4dbb-ba67-e8deb3fbb696

I think the thing about the Lego Ori which doesn't match his film version is his head, it just looks too full and the mixture of hair and thick beard really doesn't capture his character. I've also noticed the same problem with Bilbo and Thranduil in that their faces look too old than the film version, merely because of unnecessarily added wrinkles. :cry_sad:They're still brilliant, the faces merely impede on my appreciation of the minifigures.

Edited by Dragonlego27

I think the thing about the Lego Ori which doesn't match his film version is his head, it just looks two full and the mixture of hair and thick beard really doesn't capture his character. I've also noticed the same problem with Bilbo and Thranduil in that their faces look too old than the film version, merely because of unnecessarily added wrinkles. :cry_sad:They're still brilliant, the faces merely impede on my appreciation of the minifigures.

One word: What? :wacko:

I think Dragonlego has a good point, its especially true for the Frodo minifigure in the Council of Elrond and his other versions.

I'm slightly surprised to read about how many people want a Bolg minifig. I confess I had to look up who he was. To me he was just another 'orc with lines' like that one from the seige of Minas Tirith. Not trying to be obnoxious, but I'm genuinely interested in why people would like a minifig of him.

I'm slightly surprised to read about how many people want a Bolg minifig. I confess I had to look up who he was. To me he was just another 'orc with lines' like that one from the seige of Minas Tirith. Not trying to be obnoxious, but I'm genuinely interested in why people would like a minifig of him.

He's from the book. He has a cooler design than Azog. He kicked the prettyboy Legolas butt.

He's one of the main villians in the movie, I think he has even more screen time in DOS than Azog. Furthermore Bolg is mentioned in the Hobbit book too, so he's definitely more than just a 'orc with lines' :wink:

Edited by Balbo

I was thinking that Ori could use the Wiley Fusebot beard piece.

Thats actually a really great idea. Could someone who has both figs post a pic of what it would look like? Alas, I only own Ori.

One word: What? :wacko:

I'm sorry Kevikpo, was something unclear about my post? If it looks out of place, I was answering Mike's statement from the previous page, but I'm writing from my mobile and don't think I'm using the quote function right.

Edited by Dragonlego27

I think with relation to the "wrinkles" on Thranduil and Bilbo, those are supposed to be jawline/cheekbone definitions? I don't think they're meant to be wrinkles.

I'm slightly surprised to read about how many people want a Bolg minifig...To me he was just another 'orc with lines' like that one from the seige of Minas Tirith.

As people have said, Bolg is the main antagonist in the book, arguably after Smaug, but he's the ones leading the orc armies, not Azog. According to book canon, Azog was killed by Dain during the Battle of Azanulbizar. PJ decided to keep him alive and made Bolg a more of a sub-antagonist in the films. That's why I personally feel it's a shame we haven't gotten a figure for him, and I'm sure others likely feel similarly, aside from the fact that his design is just too cool to leave out. Just weird that we got many variants of normal orcs but not an important character like this.

Edited by bachamn

Thats actually a really great idea. Could someone who has both figs post a pic of what it would look like? Alas, I only own Ori.

This:

15651331000_83b95b765b.jpg

Ori1 by Tuinman1980, on Flickr

Not the best pic, but it gives an idea.

Ah, now I didn't recall the name from the book (I only reread it a couple of months ago too). Of course nothing that he's done so far in the released movies has any connection with his very brief appearance in the book so I didn't connect the two. That would explain why people might want a figure of him, though.

This:

Thanks for the pic :classic:

Giving Ori that beard piece is really a nice idea, it's not perfect, but I'm considering bricklinking that piece now....

Ah, now I didn't recall the name from the book (I only reread it a couple of months ago too). Of course nothing that he's done so far in the released movies has any connection with his very brief appearance in the book so I didn't connect the two. That would explain why people might want a figure of him, though.

I don't think he is in the Hobbit. None of the orcs in the Hobbit were named. Instead I think it comes from the Appendix in the Return of the King. There is a lot of detail there there is not in any of the books themselves. Peter Jackson was only able to use stuff that was found in the Hobbit or Lord of the Rings (including the Appendix).

So I agree with you. These named orcs are not important in the novel, but for movie fans, they are.

I don't think he is in the Hobbit. None of the orcs in the Hobbit were named. Instead I think it comes from the Appendix in the Return of the King. There is a lot of detail there there is not in any of the books themselves. Peter Jackson was only able to use stuff that was found in the Hobbit or Lord of the Rings (including the Appendix).

So I agree with you. These named orcs are not important in the novel, but for movie fans, they are.

I promise you, Bolg is there.

This:

Huh. Looks way better then I thought it would. I don't LOVE it, but I am considering picking one up.

I think the thing about the Lego Ori which doesn't match his film version is his head, it just looks too full and the mixture of hair and thick beard really doesn't capture his character. I've also noticed the same problem with Bilbo and Thranduil in that their faces look too old than the film version, merely because of unnecessarily added wrinkles. :cry_sad:They're still brilliant, the faces merely impede on my appreciation of the minifigures.

I never minded Ori a ton, but I have noticed that flaw. I disagree with your point with Bilbo and Thranduil, actually I think the slight lines add to the character's accuracy.

Eek, that beard on Ori doesn't look as good as I'd hoped. Thanks for posting the pic!

I'm sorry Kevikpo, was something unclear about my post? If it looks out of place, I was answering Mike's statement from the previous page, but I'm writing from my mobile and don't think I'm using the quote function right.

Oh no i've read it again, now it's fine :wink:

I didn't see what you mean with wrinkles? but i guess you mean the cheekbones?

I meant the lines around Bilbo's mouth and both their eyes, although I don't if I should have described them as "wrinkles". Sometimes the detail works, such as on Elrond and sometimes it doesn't. As I've said above, it's a very slight flaw and one that rarely ever impediments on my enjoyment of the minifigures. The thing that also annoys me about Thranduil is his thick eyebrows and lines under his eyes, which don't look very Elven.

Quick thought, a few minor changes that could have made 79017 BOFA a much better set!

1.) Instead of another eagle, give us a new giant bat mold.

2.) Instead of a new print Azog, give us Bolg.

3.) Instead of another Legolas, give us an armoured elf.

4.) Give us an armoured dwarf, downsize the ballista, give us Beorn in bear form, make the set $10 more...

Thoughts?

Edited by greeklad97

1.) Instead of another eagle, give us a new giant bat mold.

People that buy the set that don't have others will complain about the lack of eagles. Plus added expense for two or three new molds - wings and torso.

Maybe, although it would probably be a reprint normal head, rather than a new molded head like Azog - unless they reuse Azog's headpiece and call him Bolg.

But where is Legolas for people that buy one set? He's a key character ...

4.) Give us an armoured dwarf, downsize the ballista, give us Beorn in bear form, make the set $10 more...

Dain Ironfoot is a dwarf, in armour. And again a named character that people will want. If they put an Ent in a set and don't call him Treebeard, people complain that there is no Treebeard.

Sure you can downsize a build and replace with minifigs / animals, but lego is meant to be a construction toy.

Quick thought, a few minor changes that could have made 79017 BOFA a much better set!

1.) Instead of another eagle, give us a War ram.

Thoughts?

If LEGO did not put the Eagle in the Battle of the Five Armies set, they would have saved enough money to put in a new molded creature. The cost of a new molded animal is not the same as an existing molded animal.

But you don't have to take my word for it. This is what LEGO designers said about a similar situation where they were trying to decide to make a new poseable skeleton horse or reuse the Harry Potter one.

]Skeleton horses: Static or Poseable[/b]

This was basically a call we had to make due to the cost of the elements. It came down to the fact we could either afford one poseable skeleton horse pulling the carriage, or if we went for the non-poseable type we could afford three, as well as being able to put them into the two smallest price points. I hope you see why this lead us to quite a clear decision. If we didn’t do this we would not have been able to make the joust set for a reasonable price-point… meaning we would not have launched that product at all. From a product point of view the only difference between this horse and the real horse is that it’s head doesn’t move, we chose to accept this compromise so we were able to make the Skeleton Horses affordable for the small sets.

In regards to my earlier post, did the character Azog actually appear in The Hobbit or is the only reference when Gandalf mentions his name to Thorin?

Edited by Blakstone

In regards to my earlier post, did the character Azog actually appear in The Hobbit or is the only reference when Gandalf mentions his name to Thorin?

The orcs are named in the Hobbit. Both Azog and Bolg. Azog doesn't actually appear, since he's slain by Dain before The Hobbit.

did the character Azog actually appear in The Hobbit or is the only reference when Gandalf mentions his name to Thorin?

Azog was killed in T.A. 2799, the events of The Hobbit begin in T.A. 2941, so he's been dead for a long time. Gandalf does mention him in the Unexpected Party chapter of the book as the orc who killed Thror. Bolg isn't mentioned at all until the 'Clouds Burst' chapter when he is introduced as the leader of the orc army in The Battle of Five Armies. Contrary to the film's narrative, he was more or less leading this charge as a form of revenge for the slaying of the Great Goblin. I think Azog might also have been referenced again in 'The Clouds Burst' to give context of who Bolg is and his history with the dwarves, but that's pretty much it for The Hobbit.

As some others mentioned, the details about Azog being killed by Dain is mentioned in the appendix, specifically Appendix A: Durin's Folk. It details that he chops off Thror's head, brands "AZOG" into his forehead, and throws a moneybag out with it as "payment" for the realm of Moria. He was pretty gangster.

Edited by bachamn