just2good

LEGO Hobbit 2014

Here's my problems with the BoFA set, you have a set that cost $69.99 US, but the build and most of the minifigs make this set look like it should cost as much as the MEA set ($29.99) which to me has a better build and better characters.

P.S.If TLG does make an Armored Azog (I would prefer Bolg) I doubt he will have his sword arm because of it being a new mold.

The battle of five armies set is priced at $59.99 US, but I agree that it still is overpriced. The set probably should retail at more like $49.99.

Here's my problems with the BoFA set, you have a set that cost $69.99 US, but the build and most of the minifigs make this set look like it should cost as much as the MEA set ($29.99) which to me has a better build and better characters.

P.S.If TLG does make an Armored Azog (I would prefer Bolg) I doubt he will have his sword arm because of it being a new mold.

:thumbup:

If Azog shows up at the battle with that sword arm of his in the movie, that would now make the minifig significantly different from the scene. Lego went through the trouble to give him a new face printing in an attempt to make the BOFA seem like it was not so much of a rehash of old characters, even though it is. Not as bad as the Yazneg debacle, but still it appears TLG did not have access to certain information. BOFA (the set) was really executed poorly. 6 out of 7 of the characters have already been produced in some form. Even the eagle was already done. Other than the two generic orcs, you have no army builder potential, and the movie is supposed to be about a big battle. I can see they tried to pull the leader of each faction, but how then would you explain Legolas? Did Thranduil decide to take the day off? The ruin is not really inspiring. The best thing that could be said is it has some nice parts that could be used to make something else. As for the ballista, it seems like a decent design. It will be interesting to see how significant battle equipment such as this factors into the movie. Yeah, I know I have really harped on this set lately, but that poster makes it seem more disappointing than ever.

Bummer you can't put a sword in an Arm socket :cry_sad:

Maybe with cutting the sword? Certainly someone will do it, eventually.

Looks like Azog's upgrade includes a new fancy accessory for his left arm:

1149_59778_l.jpg

Introducing Orc pirate captain Arrzog :iamded_lol: Too bad we didn't get this version, but the change was probably made pretty late in the game, just as usual (remember the teaser where Azog had the same pose as here minus the armour and sword-arm) :laugh:

It is interesting as in the movie trailer there is no new sword acessory on Azog's left arm at all.

manu-bennett-talks-about-azog-the-defiler-in-the-hobbit-the-battle-of-the-five-armies.jpeg?width=970&height=600

Edited by Gibbon

Bummer you can't put a sword in an Arm socket :cry_sad:

This won't look right from every angle, but if you just want a blade in the hand area this is decent enough:

* swap out Azog's hook for a hand

* put this Prince of Persia piece over it

(at least it's properly curved like Azog's)

88812.jpg?3

HBOFA_30sht_AzogBattle_RGB_INTL_master-150x150.jpg

If possible, use a hand that's a similar color to the blade. Then they look more like a unified item rather than a hand holding an accessory.

Edited by phanstasm

I'm thinking of holding off until Brick Friday for "The Lonely Mountain," in hope of possible Triple VIP points. However, that seems like a long shot, and even if it is possible, that set would probably be sold out before I could get one. Any thoughts or similar hopes about that possibility?

I did get the Lonely mountain set now that it is officially released (and double VIP/Xmas set of course). I could do a review if anyone is interested!

This won't look right from every angle, but if you just want a blade in the hand area this is decent enough:

* swap out Azog's hook for a hand

* put this Prince of Persia piece over it

(at least it's properly curved like Azog's)

88812.jpg?3

HBOFA_30sht_AzogBattle_RGB_INTL_master-150x150.jpg

If possible, use a hand that's a similar color to the blade. Then they look more like a unified item rather than a hand holding an accessory.

Even better, use a Pirate's hook so the blade feels like its more of a part of the arm. This also makes me happy that we have two Azog figs now. Keep one as is, and then mod one to make him look like his armoured version.

Also, I picked up all four sets yesterday (it was my birthday, so it was especially nice the release landed right on the day). I've only built Witch-King Battle, but got all the figures out from each set. By far my favourites of the wave are Thorin (his crown piece is really frickin cool) and Galadriel (and she may be my favourite of all the Hobbit and LOTR figs; theres just something really spectacular about her, but I dunno what).

And then there is Smaug. His awesomeness exceeded my expectations. The rubber wings are so brilliant, and the head (while the horns are slightly inaccurate) looks so cool and has so much personality. Easily the best molded creature LEGO has ever produced.

One other small thing that I found to be really cool is that they gave Gwahir some dark brown printing around his neck to distinguish him for the regular Giant Eagles we've gotten before. While its not that big of a deal, it shows to me that LEGO does care. Its also just really cool that they specify him as Gwahir on the box art.

On a related note, it was a complete fluke that Manu Bennett happened to be at my college for an event and he was signing stuff and taking pictures. He signed my The Battle of Five Armies set, so it makes that set all the more special. Here's a link to an image for proof:

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/legoman-1/LOTR/img_1566.jpg

Edited by Fives

Well, PJ likes to add some things in posters that arent even real scenes, so, he may have just imagined that "sword hand"...I like that claw idea, but I never saw that piece before! :wacko:

I did get the Lonely mountain set now that it is officially released (and double VIP/Xmas set of course). I could do a review if anyone is interested!

Please do!

The battle of five armies set is priced at $59.99 US, but I agree that it still is overpriced. The set probably should retail at more like $49.99.

How do you figure? The price per piece is right around 13 cents. Attack on Weathertop was 14 cents and Black Gates was 9 cents. Of course Black Gates only had one large molded creature (eagle) and 5 minifigures, while Weathertop had the same 5 minifigures but two molded creatures (horses). This set has a large molded creature with Gwaihir and 7 minifigures, 2 more than the other $60 priced sets. It seems about right?

I think people have two big issues with the BoFA set. First off people expected it to be an army builder which it most definitely is not. Second the catapult/launcher takes up a TON of bricks making the actual structure look relatively small, and the set as a whole looks smaller as such. I have no idea why Lego decided to make such a huge bolt thrower instead of add more to the building, but whatever.

How do you figure? The price per piece is right around 13 cents. Attack on Weathertop was 14 cents and Black Gates was 9 cents. Of course Black Gates only had one large molded creature (eagle) and 5 minifigures, while Weathertop had the same 5 minifigures but two molded creatures (horses). This set has a large molded creature with Gwaihir and 7 minifigures, 2 more than the other $60 priced sets. It seems about right?

I believe you will find the black gate had a horse as well.

Have you guys seen the new building sets that McFarlane is doing? I really hope that he'll get the license to the LOTR/Hobbit movies, those sets look absolutely fantastic. He'll blow what Lego did out of the water. The amount of detail on them is amazing and he's also doing blind bags so we can get main characters but army build as well. Just a thought.

I think people have two big issues with the BoFA set. First off people expected it to be an army builder which it most definitely is not. Second the catapult/launcher takes up a TON of bricks making the actual structure look relatively small, and the set as a whole looks smaller as such. I have no idea why Lego decided to make such a huge bolt thrower instead of add more to the building, but whatever.

Yeah, I would have liked to see a much larger structure and just get rid of the launcher. We already had a launcher in the Helm's deep wall we don't need another one.

Just found this on TLGs facebook page:

10606247_10152478756218403_7666911033131887736_n.jpg?oh=86a6f5a90131476ec07a6b35cc6bba22&oe=54F5B8A6

Too bad this isn't a real poster... :sadnew:

Lookin sweet, can't wait for this years commercial spot

Now that i have Bo5a, Lake-Town 2 and Erebor i must say:

Lake-Town 2: One of my favourites, i love this set so much!

Bo5a: Also one of my favourites, Dain is now a special fig to me. Thorin is :wub: ,happy to have Azog and Gwahir now. New Bard is always welcome!

Erebor: Well i just love this set, The mining area is great and the Throne too! the figs are amazing, and Smaug... omg :grin_wub:

Have you guys seen the new building sets that McFarlane is doing? I really hope that he'll get the license to the LOTR/Hobbit movies, those sets look absolutely fantastic. He'll blow what Lego did out of the water. The amount of detail on them is amazing and he's also doing blind bags so we can get main characters but army build as well. Just a thought.

Not much use to lego fans though.

Do you think we'll get designer video's on the new sets like we did with all of the other LOTR and Hobbit sets. I havnt seen any so far for the new ones though.

yes. they will

Not much use to lego fans though.

I saw someone reviewing the Walking Dead McFarlane sets; they're allegedly LEGO compatible. The figure style is completely different though.

As far as McFarlane getting a Tolkien license?

wM5vIgl.gif

Edited by bachamn

That would be terrific, please, even if it would only make me need it more. :laugh:

Edited by TheWorldAhead

Just found this on TLGs facebook page:

10606247_10152478756218403_7666911033131887736_n.jpg?oh=86a6f5a90131476ec07a6b35cc6bba22&oe=54F5B8A6

Too bad this isn't a real poster... :sadnew:

It will be in the LEGO Club Magazine, you may simply regard this as a false wish, but for the past two years, the magazines have released posters for each respective Hobbit wave.

It will be in the LEGO Club Magazine, you may simply regard this as a false wish, but for the past two years, the magazines have released posters for each respective Hobbit wave.

Mine didn't? :look:

So im trying to mod my Windlance so it looks more movie accurate, I tried different ways but i don't really know how?

Any advice chaps? :sweet: