just2good

LEGO Hobbit 2014

Th those who are fortunate enough to own the new sets, do you recommend the new Lake Town set over any of the other sets?

I've only seen the pictures and this would be my list, (im getting them all :P)

1. The Lonely Mountain

2. Battle of the Five Armies

3. Lake-Town Attack (i really like that one to mix with the lonely mountain)

4. Witch-King battle

Still no sightings here but I hope to get lucky today. Had no trouble finding the Series 12 minifigs though.

just bought and built up my lake town attack and battle of five armies sets. pics and review coming. early release by an unknowing department store staff :) here in the far east in Singapore. the stock of the TLM and WKB is still being shipped according to the store's warehouse guy.

Went to my Toys R Us and toy shop, and nothing. But they say I can expect them in the next week, which could mean our European freinds could see them soon, as we usually get the sets at the same time.

Thanks for your opinion on the sets Kevkipo, I would place the Witch King set higher though.

If I had to rank all of the sets based on pictures alone, my list would look like this:

1. Lake-Town Attack- Sure, the minifigure selection is sub-par, but at $30, this set is one of the best deals in the entire Middle-Earth theme. Plus it looks great alongside the existing Lake-Town set.

2. Witch King Battle- Three exclusive minifigures for only $13 is almost unheard of.

3. The Lonely Mountain- Smaug looks great, but this set just doesn't remind me of Erebor ... replacing the mine section with two giant dwarf statues and a horde of gold would have made this a must-buy for me.

4. Battle of the 5 Armies- It's certainly not as terrible as everyone first believed it would be, but this set's mixed minifigure selection and uninteresting design don't justify the $60 price tag.

Wasn't able to find them today either. Even double check with the staff... they claim they never keep LEGO in the back and it should all be on the shelf. Bummer for me.

Question: if the release Date is stated October 15th even on Lego's Dutch webpage

Does that mean i can expect the sets on that exact date at my Lego store?

Alright, Witch-King time! Found this at a distant Toys"R"Us. :classic:

15114987490_b6699da092.jpg

15301696915_9e38895e72.jpg

15301319202_19baa9a17a.jpg

15115099488_166cbb9ae7.jpg

15114924979_77b69b3dc9.jpg

Overall, I think this is my favorite Hobbit set besides Bagend. Sure, $15 is a bit of a weird price in the US, but I love how you get three exclusive minifigures- two being new characters, and one has a new mould all together. The build itself, while nothing "iconic," is a good build to have a little battle scene to compliment the minifigures. :thumbup:

As always, you can see the full sized version of these pictures on my Flickr, and don't be afraid to request pictures!

Alright, Witch-King time! Found this at a distant Toys"R"Us. :classic:

Overall, I think this is my favorite Hobbit set besides Bagend. Sure, $15 is a bit of a weird price in the US, but I love how you get three exclusive minifigures- two being new characters, and one has a new mould all together. The build itself, while nothing "iconic," is a good build to have a little battle scene to compliment the minifigures. :thumbup:

As always, you can see the full sized version of these pictures on my Flickr, and don't be afraid to request pictures!

Awesome! Thanks for the review! I only have one small (well, maybe) picture request: could you take a picture of this set attacked to the two Dol Guldur sets from the previous wave?

Awesome! Thanks for the review! I only have one small (well, maybe) picture request: could you take a picture of this set attacked to the two Dol Guldur sets from the previous wave?

Thanks! I do not have the big one for that, so I cannot. Sorry man.

I'm starting to love these sets more and more! :wub: I'll probably buy WKB in October, ask for TLM and LTA for Christmas, and buy BotFA sometime before the year ends. just2good, does Galadriel come with a crystal piece (star light)?

Edited by AnthonyP301

just2good, does Galadriel come with a crystal piece (star light)?

Yep, she does! I should have included it in that shot. Oh well.

I would rank these sets, based on pictures alone, as follows:

1.) Witch King Battle

2.) Lake-Town

3.) Erebor

4.) Battle of Five Armies

The Bo5A is the clear loser this wave with arguably the worst build and most uninteresting characters. Dain and King Thorin look great, but re-hash Legolas and near same Azog, eagle (Gwaihir), and Gundabad Orcs do nothing for me. Erebor is slightly better and Smaug looks fantastic but the low number of minifigures, high price tag, and lackluster build keep it from the top spots. The WKB and Lake-town sets actually have some decent characters and the builds look ok, especially when combined with sets from the previous wave. These two are a close first and second for me.

Speaking of which, can SOMEONE give us a picture of the WKB and past DBA and DGB sets all together? That and some size comparisons of Smaug to other large molded creatures (previous dragons, Dino t-rex, minifigures) would be fantastic.

Personally I am not going to be buying any of these sets until they go at least 25% off. None are must buy for me or really that interesting imho. This wave and the second LotR wave just don't have that "gotta get em asap appeal" to me :sceptic:

I would rank these sets, based on pictures alone, as follows:

1.) Witch King Battle

2.) Lake-Town

3.) Erebor

4.) Battle of Five Armies

The Bo5A is the clear loser this wave with arguably the worst build and most uninteresting characters. Dain and King Thorin look great, but re-hash Legolas and near same Azog, eagle (Gwaihir), and Gundabad Orcs do nothing for me. Erebor is slightly better and Smaug looks fantastic but the low number of minifigures, high price tag, and lackluster build keep it from the top spots. The WKB and Lake-town sets actually have some decent characters and the builds look ok, especially when combined with sets from the previous wave. These two are a close first and second for me.

Speaking of which, can SOMEONE give us a picture of the WKB and past DBA and DGB sets all together? That and some size comparisons of Smaug to other large molded creatures (previous dragons, Dino t-rex, minifigures) would be fantastic.

Personally I am not going to be buying any of these sets until they go at least 25% off. None are must buy for me or really that interesting imho. This wave and the second LotR wave just don't have that "gotta get em asap appeal" to me :sceptic:

I'd purchase WKB and LT for the full prices, though obviously would prefer a sale. The other two I really, really want to see a discount on. We had that excellent online TRU discount with the TDOS sets - everyone keep their eyes open for a similar steal this year!

I just finished building my copy of DGB so I will have a shot of all DB sets together tomorrow. I have to say WKB is really small compared to DGB and just regular small next to DGA. Also DGA uses a different kind of connection pin than what WKB and DGA use. So WKB and DGA can be mixed slightly but only set near DGA without MODing.

Thx for the review Just2good, now that i've seen clear pictures i may buy it just because Elrond has such awesome printing. Very usefull :sweet:

Its kinda shame that Gladriel has same hairpiece, thats look kinda cheese when you put here next to Elrond... Anyway I am glad that we have her nonetheless

Those who own set 79018, are there any printed elements or is everything stickers?

The Arkenstones are the only printed pieces in the set.