just2good

LEGO Hobbit 2014

This is kind off topic but does anyone know if Lego will allow people to take photos on the New York toy fair?

We got pics for last year's LOTR sets there. So i'd say so.

This is kind off topic but does anyone know if Lego will allow people to take photos on the New York toy fair?

most likely usually it was allowed

"So began a battle that none had expected; and it was called the Battle of Five Armies, and it was very terrible. Upon one side were the Goblins and the wild Wolves, and upon the other were Elves and Men and Dwarves."

Tolkien names the battle and then lists five races, but doesn't specifically name them as the five armies. Obviously he wouldn't list the eagles here because their coming is one of the major turning points of the battle. If he listed them it would give a big surprise away. Sorry if it seems like I am being argumentative, but I think this has a pretty big impact on what the Bo5A set will include. I was trying to check around for a definitive answer and there doesn't seem to be one. It's another example of Tolkien being vague. It doesn't help the armies are contradictory (why is one species of animals considered their own army but not the others?) Even on this site it lists the five armies as the dwarves, men, elves, orcs, and wargs, but then later on it says the orcs and wargs are only one army: "Soon the Orcs and Wargs arrived (and now the fourth army was on the field)". In the cartoon version the wargs and orcs are listed as one army and the eagles another.

I agree that Tolkien is being a bit vague after going back and rereading some parts. It's not the first time he has done this. I attribute this to his desire for the reader to use their own imagination. I think we get too focused sometimes on being exact in terms of what we require of theses sets. TLG I believe takes a similar approach to Tolkien leaving some things to the imagination of the builder. As these sets are based on the movie, not replicas.

Oh hec, shame about the no photography rule, but if I remember rightly last year there were videos of some unseen sets, I can't exactly remember the name of who posted them, perhaps it was Nuremberg toy fair themselves who did it, but anyway I guess time will tell. :classic:

If we do get pics, hopefully we get them along with some much needed info in a few days.

Very true, many of the sets are vaguely accurate, meant to capture the elements of the scenes or spirit of the movie. I guess we should be more realistic, I still like imagining what the Lego designers imagine. ;)

I just saw that Nuremberg is going on right now

(check Brickfan)

They already took pictures of new star wars sets!

Who knows? :D

I just saw that Nuremberg is going on right now

(check Brickfan)

They already took pictures of new star wars sets!

Who knows? :D

They didn't take the pictures. those sets had a specific unveiling to go along with the tv series announcments.

Hopefully someone that goes to Nuremburg will just have an interest in the theme for more specific details in text. Like many, I watched that video for the Star Wars Rebels LEGO; it's odd if that was a specific announcement related to the show that most of the minifigs were still prototypes anyways.

Maybe by New York we'll see a pic of Smaug. If not, Fall isn't that far away (ok who am I kidding it's forever! hehe)

Ya, it would be nice if SOMEONE would cover the other themes. Even some accurate set descriptions would be great if we can't get pics. All the reporters had so much info on the Star Wars sets but when it came to other themes there was next to nothing. Most haven't even seen the Hobbit films :hmpf_bad:

it's odd if that was a specific announcement related to the show that most of the minifigs were still prototypes anyways.

Well the shows reveal was the Astromech. the minifigures on display were not prototypes jstu blank ones to show that the sit will have figures. You can see the figures in the picture son the box art. but the characthers on the show have not been revealed yet so it's suppsoed to stay secret.

I'm still curious why the sets are being released 2 months before the movie

Maybe because the film was supposed to be a Summer release? From a retailer/merchandising perspective getting them on the shelves before Dec 1 might be advantageous for the holiday shopping season.

For me, I appreciate I will be able to get some Black Friday deals this time around (Bit of an aside, but this past November a local Walmart offered 30% off LEGO AND they had the sets on the floor already! But the 30% wouldn't come off and they wouldn't honor it since they weren't supposed to be sold yet)

Edited by The-Daryl

They didn't take the pictures. those sets had a specific unveiling to go along with the tv series announcments.

Yeah but we did see pictures

I'm still curious why the sets are being released 2 months before the movie

Might mean that lego gets to sell out and restock once before chistmas.

I made a LDD version of the smallest set "White Council Attack". Let me know what everyone thinks. I only used 148 bricks total so it should be a good size for the smallest set lego will design.

Very nice Mahtion, I made my own version a couple of days ago that I forgot to share:

12195638885_93ddb79248.jpg

White Council Assault2 by Bredl, on Flickr

Edited by Mr Breden

the lack of any pictures is weird in the very least.

why?

I don't find it weird at all. toy fair doesent really start uintill tomorrow, and last year we didnt have lotr wave 2 pictures either..

Maybe some on at the toy fair tomorrow will be sneaky with Google glass or something and we'll get illegal pics. However convenient that may be, EB may not allow them here. Is that right?

Eurobricks needs a beat reporter :)

Maybe some on at the toy fair tomorrow will be sneaky with Google glass or something and we'll get illegal pics. However convenient that may be, EB may not allow them here. Is that right?

Eurobricks needs a beat reporter :)

As long as its not marked as prelim /do not copy stuff, eurobricks is fine, unless lego tells them to take it down.. I THINK,

But im pretty sure links to illegal images are allowed, jsut not embeding.

keep coming back here to look for news... :(

How much longer roughly should we wait?

Firstly we're not guaranteed any news at all.

secondly its a weekday, so people who might give us news proapbly go to school or work first in the day, then then cay go to the fair later, at the moment its like 1:30 in germany .

The fair is upen from 9 till 6, uintill february 3rd. So maybe in 5 hours someone have gone to the fair stayed till it closed, used an half hour getting home, after that it would anyones guess how fast they may or may not put up their report online.

As long as its not marked as prelim /do not copy stuff, eurobricks is fine, unless lego tells them to take it down.. I THINK,

But im pretty sure links to illegal images are allowed, jsut not embeding.

That is about right. Links to "illegal" images though will also be removed at LEGOs request. We usually don't receive that kind of request though.

keep coming back here to look for news... :(

How much longer roughly should we wait?

Im with you, My Tintin loving friend :wink:

Very nice Mahtion, I made my own version a couple of days ago that I forgot to share:

Nice work! I'm glad someone else designed a set too. I hope Lego gives us something we didn't even think about and captures the epic feel of the confrontation with the Witchking scene.

Have you worked on any other LDD of the other sets? I'm working on them and I think Erebor layout is the hardest and most puzzling.