just2good

LEGO Hobbit 2014

Lego will! and i see Smaug in a LOT of other sets being reused

Maybe Lego wants to change dragon mold and now go on with Smaug mold in furter Castle sets?

And there are more movies coming with dragons? they can reuse it IF they make sets from it

And the wings will be used with a Fellbeast if made

Since the Hobbit is a licensed theme, I could not imagine a Smaug mold appearing in regular castle sets or anything outside the license. Therefore, if they do make a unique mold, and I hope they do, then it will be just for this set. That is the hope, but the fear is that they will use the castle dragon and simply try to modify the color and printing to match Smaug as much as possible.

So judging from the mish-mash of info we're getting from the London fair, I think I've been able to discern some stuff.

Smallest set - Elrond, Galadriel and Angmar fighting at Dol Guldur. Makes sense, and sounds epic.

Esgaroth - includes the Master's tower with the Windlance, likely with another small building or two. Bain is likely there, along with Alfrid and probably some Lake-men (perhaps even Braga). This will have Smaug. It just makes sense.

Erebor - the sand green makes sense because that's the colour of the stone around the gate. My guess is the set will have the gate with a statue or two, some rock around it like the frame of a painting, with an interior with a variety of rooms and details. This will likely include Thorin, Bilbo, hopefully Bolg, and likely Beorn in bear form if we get him. He'll be a new mold (the current bear, while the size could work, looks nothing like Beorn.)

That leaves the fourth set which we know about from the retailers catalogue. This will likely be an army builder including Dain and other basic warriors to fill out ranks. Either this set is based around Dale or the slopes of Erebor.

The reason that people may be so confused as to how many sets we are getting and what goes where is that the display was likely just confusing. The army builder could very well be placed very close to Erebor and looked like part of the set. As for Smaug, if he was represented by a Castle dragon and just placed willy-nilly in the display, then that explains why people may have thought he'd be included with Erebor.

These are just my thoughts based on what we've heard, but I feel like my guesses make sense. We'll have a lot more confirmation come the Nuremberg fair, but basic logic can easily discern the info we have right now.

Sounds about right, expect it was previously mentioned that the Erebor set is of the inside only. With hidden treasure rooms and the like.

Erebor - the sand green makes sense because that's the colour of the stone around the gate. My guess is the set will have the gate with a statue or two, some rock around it like the frame of a painting, with an interior with a variety of rooms and details.

The descriptions from the toy fair makes it sound like another mines of moria/balins tomb set. Not anything like an entrance/statue.

Sounds about right, expect it was previously mentioned that the Erebor set is of the inside only. With hidden treasure rooms and the like.

The descriptions from the toy fair makes it sound like another mines of moria/balins tomb set. Not anything like an entrance/statue.

Well that just achieved a whole new level of disappointment. I was really hoping for a Lone Ranger mine style set.

Well that just achieved a whole new level of disappointment. I was really hoping for a Lone Ranger mine style set.

Me too. But I am glad it's going to be big. And mocing the outside would be easier than the inside.

Me too. But I am glad it's going to be big. And mocing the outside would be easier than the inside.

That's true. I just fear that LEGO will have let down a lot of fans and kids who've been desperately awaiting a big mountain set. Perhaps they're hiding a D2C up their sleeves? Unlikely, but one can have hope. Even if it's a fool's hope.

Since the Hobbit is a licensed theme, I could not imagine a Smaug mold appearing in regular castle sets or anything outside the license. Therefore, if they do make a unique mold, and I hope they do, then it will be just for this set. That is the hope, but the fear is that they will use the castle dragon and simply try to modify the color and printing to match Smaug as much as possible.

What about the Hungarian Horntail from Harry Potter from several years ago?

If they made a unique mold for that, then I can't see why they wouldn't do one for Smaug...

Smaug will be a special mold. While LEGO like to cut costs by reusing molds where they can, Smaug is not a place where this is an option. He's too much of an important character and part of the story to cheap out on. The neck and tail could be reused, but they'll need to create a new head/jaw, torso, wings and legs.

His overall colour needs to be dark red. I'm hoping his eyes, teeth and scales get lots of printing detail. His underbelly needs to be tan, with some pinkish scale printing (and the missing scale shown). Since he won't have front legs or arms, his wings will need to be bigger and more posable.

The Hungarian Horntail is a good place to start when it comes to how LEGO may tackle the beast, but that's a ten year old creature. LEGO has upped their game with molds, so a combo of the Horntail, current dragon, and the T-Rex is likely what we'll see.

Sorry if some of the stuff I said was redundant.

Edited by Fives

From brickset's report:

Three sets will be available in October. They did not have names. One was a small rock piece, the middle-priced one was another part of Lake-town, a tower IIRC, and the largest featured Smaug. It was a nondescript structure made predominantly from sand green. I'd like to tell you what minifigs are included but I can't remember.

To me that sounds like a solid set with an exterior, and not a bunch of loose sections like Moria.

Edited by Floundie

It's a shame that the days of big sets on baseplates are a thing of the past. An Erebor done in the style of the Temple of Akator from Indiana Jones would be stellar. Sure, a big baseplate might not fit with the style of most of the Middle-Earth sets (lots of brick built stuff, very few big pieces), but it would work so well for Erebor.

Sometimes I wish I could be a fly on the wall of the design room, just so I could see and hear the process through which these sets are made. Learning what sort of freedom and restraints the designers are given by both LEGO and the film studios might give me more understanding for the choices made.

From brickset's report:

To me that sounds like a solid set with an exterior, and not a bunch of loose sections like Moria.

If i remember correctly The Battle of Five Armies takes place outside the Misty Mountain

If i remember correctly The Battle of Five Armies takes place outside the Misty Mountain

Lonely Mountain. And based on how PJ and Co. have designed the valley in front of the mountain, much of the battle could take place in the ruins of Dale. We've seen footage of Thranduil fighting in the ruins, so my assumption is the battle will take place there, for the most part.

Also, there's been so much talk of this boar that Dain rides. I haven't read the book in a while, but when was this mentioned?

Lonely Mountain. And based on how PJ and Co. have designed the valley in front of the mountain, much of the battle could take place in the ruins of Dale. We've seen footage of Thranduil fighting in the ruins, so my assumption is the battle will take place there, for the most part.

Also, there's been so much talk of this boar that Dain rides. I haven't read the book in a while, but when was this mentioned?

Boar was NEVER mentioned!

It looked most like this I think. The reiterated that he had an entirely new crown piece a couple of times.

He seemed to be part of a small, surprisingly cheap set - £11.99 I think - that had three minifigs: Elrond, Witch King and Galadrial, plus a cursory bit of scenery.

The Lonely Mountain set was lots of sand green and looked pretty large - with lots of gold and hidden sections for more gold and jewels. The arkenstone was just a standard blue gem, but it might have just been a preliminary as Smaug was (he was just a castle dragon standing in!)

The other two (I think) sets were more of the village and one included Dain Ironfoot, the other the Bowman's Son amongst a number of other figs, but we didn't get long enough to see who they all were.

I can't think of anything else about the sets that I haven't noted above - my Hobbit knowledge is a bit sketchy so only a couple of characters stuck in my head as we were rushed on to the next bit!

It was totally unclear which one Smaug was a part of - they had him set up closer to Laketown tho - but that's not a great indication! The table was a bit of a mess and annoyingly one of the last ones we got to see which meant less time for questions.

The mountain was a playset of the inside rather than anything external. I guess that makes it less likely to be based on the Bo5A bit - doesn't that all take place outside? (Again, my Hobbit knowledge is poor - not read it since I was young!)

From brickset's report:

No offense to Huw but he couldn't even remember the names of any of the minifigs except one. He is not exactly a Hobbit expert.

Boar was NEVER mentioned!

Well that's confusing...

Does anyone think we could get Tilda and Sigrid figs? They'll be in Esgaroth during Smaug's attack, and I can't think of other figs the set will have.

Maybe we'll get Bain, Alfrid, Tilda, Sigrid and Braga, along with Smaug. Hopefully we get the Windlance tower/the Master's quarters (his portrait would be a great detail), Bard's house and maybe the Tall Gate.

Regardless, the Esgaroth set will likely be the best set of the wave, and sell the best, just because of Smaug alone.

Hmm, if they make Smaug with an own mold, I hope they do a better job than with the hungarian horntail. I own one and it is not a good mold. It cannot move the legs, the eyes are somewhat lifeless and it doesn't have a lighter colored underbelly as it is supposed to.

Then we should assume when the person wrote DAIN that they meant BAIN wich is Bard's son??

He could've meant Dain since Dain is the Dwarf that aids the other dwarfs in the Battle of the Five Armies.

Hmm, if they make Smaug with an own mold, I hope they do a better job than with the hungarian horntail. I own one and it is not a good mold. It cannot move the legs, the eyes are somewhat lifeless and it doesn't have a lighter colored underbelly as it is supposed to.

Keep in mind that the Horntail is a ten year old mold. The advancements in LEGO's molding technology is enough of an indication that Smaug, while smaller than hoped, will be full of detail and as much articulation as possible. He's by far the most important creature in al of the Middle-Earth sets, so if LEGO doesn't go balls to the wall with the molds and details, they won't have done their job.

Keep in mind that mold was made ages ago, lego has improved alot since then!

He could've meant Dain since Dain is the Dwarf that aids the other dwarfs in the Battle of the Five Armies.

I'm aware, but they didnt have a clue it seemed and the suppsoed set with Dain wasn't on show

As for the Boar, the actor who plays Dain has mentioned riding a boar, this was before he filmed so it might jsut have been random chatter..

Edited by deskp

No offense to Huw but he couldn't even remember the names of any of the minifigs except one. He is not exactly a Hobbit expert.

Maybe not, but I think he knows what a structure is.

Maybe not, but I think he knows what a structure is.

The fact that he calls it a "nondescript structure" seems a bit suspicious though.. If it was the entrance /mountain wouldn't he have been able to say that?!

Heres my attempt at a Erebor throne anyways.

2co1ul4.png

Edited by deskp

As for the Boar, the actor who plays Dain has mentioned riding a boar, this was before he filmed so it might jsut have been random chatter..

Hmmm... weird. Billy Connolly is a comedian, and has never really had experience on a production like this. For all we know, he could've been seated on one of those green screen horses, so he may have just been guessing and joking as to what he's actually riding.

I remember seeing him being interviewed a while back, right after his casting was announced, and he seemed to have no idea what Tolkien was about, and essentially said he mocked fans back in the day. So I doubt much that he says won't have a touch of comedy in it.

So I'd say its safe to assume no boar or any type of steed for Dain, at least in LEGO form.

The Hungarian Horntail is a good place to start when it comes to how LEGO may tackle the beast, but that's a ten year old creature. LEGO has upped their game with molds, so a combo of the Horntail, current dragon, and the T-Rex is likely what we'll see.

I meant to say that if they made a one-use mold for that Horntail creature, why wouldn't they do it for Smaug?

(As a response to what some people have been saying about re-using the castle dragon mold)

I meant to say that if they made a one-use mold for that Horntail creature, why wouldn't they do it for Smaug?

(As a response to what some people have been saying about re-using the castle dragon mold)

Oh, I see. Yeah, any new molds made for Smaug will be exclusive to that character. His face is unique, so they probably couldn't use it again. The body could maybe be used, but it would force the dragons using that mold to be Wyverns.

I strongly believe that Smaug will be completely new and unique, and never be used again. Trying to reuse Smaug in future themes would be like trying to recycle the Cave Troll in future fantasy style castle themes.

Man, I feel like half the things I've been saying today have been redundant. Sorry if it's annoying anyone.