Sign in to follow this  
WhiteHexagon

iPad Heroica?

I'm just emerging from a LEGO dark age after a 4 year break, mainly due to 2 relocations and not having enough space for my LEGO until now! Anyway after grabbing a couple of new sets, I have decided I want to get back to doing some software. Mostly I've been inspired by Heroica, since it reminds me of the Quest part of my Java game I was previously developing. I'm interested in what people think of the official Heroica game system, is it too basic? or does it have lasting appeal? Really I just want to be able to build simple MOCs on my iPad, but the thought of adding a simple game system like Heroica also has a lot of appeal :) I see from the forums here that part of the community have already extended the basic rule set into something quite interesting. I'm wondering if something like that would even translate into an online turn based game, or would it take the fun out of it? I'm just interested in opinions at the moment! The fact that Heroica has been discontinuued is a bit discouraging...

That would be cool. I'm a beginner programmer in Android, and I think that this would probably be something above my head at this point but it would be awesome I must say... :classic:

This was my original concept for the Quest part of my game:

After many years development it sadly all fell to bits, mainly due to the technology choices I made on the client side (Java and OpenGL) . I did consider porting it to Java on Android, but iOS is a lot easier to target ie. I can just target iPad. I think a touch interface could even work better than my previously complex mouse interface. But I'm also not sure if it is worth it, I guess I've just had this idea for so many years now and I want to have a last try at making it work! :) Mainly because I never have enough real bricks to build the type of MOCs that I'm interested in. ie. Massive dungeon complexes. Well I'm interested in any ideas or feedback and maybe I can post information here if enough people show interest in the project.

Oh and I just managed to grab 2 of Heroica sets I was missing :) It would have been nice to have the full set though! what a shame they discontinuued the series. Things like that take time to catch on, and they could have evolved the theme with a more DnD esque series of sets.

During my research I just found that Heroica is already available online from the big L themselves! At least I understand the rules better now for the sets I bought. I hadn't realised you were 'supposed' to play the 3 chapters after each other and had been wondering what the point of the gold was :)

Anyway this week I'm working on the color / colour pallete and it seems there has been an explosion of official colors since before my dark age!! so I'm going to just use a core set for now. The actual game design is in flux at the moment and seems to ossilate between a 6 month and another 6 year project! It's hard to leave my old design and ambitions behind.