Sign in to follow this  
Floundie

(MOC) Marlinspike Hall

characters-captain-haddock-stars.png

I present to you my WIP MOC of Marlinspike Hall, Captain Haddock's home from Hergé's wonderful Tintin books.

12015403716_614c421029_b.jpg

Hergé partly based the exterior of this iconic fictional building on a very real one, the Château de Cheverny, located in Loire Valley, France.

I designed my model to split into three sections in the style of TLG's modular buildings, so that the interior could be easily accessed. As far as the interior goes, there is limited detail at this point.

The ground floor at this moment is considerably plain. The lower right wing only contains a couch and the left wing is left completely empty. Here you can see the marble staircase clearly. If you physically built the set, you would notice a chunk of one of the steps is loose.. :wink:

12015386746_b3f0826be6_b.jpg

And the stairs continue up to the more furnished second floor. Here in the upper left wing we have a room with a comfy chair, a small table with a telephone, and Iago on his perch. And in the right wing a bedroom with a large bed, two chairs, and a painting.

12014855523_6d13ff1533_b.jpg

The top section is inaccessible from the inside as the roof had to be strengthened with 2x4s so it would hold up in real life. I might end up making room for a small attic in the middle part at some point.

12014575815_7f7196f2ec_b.jpg

Check out all the pictures on my Flickr.

So, tell me what you what you like or what you think could be improved!

Edited by Floundie

This is spectacular. The building is immediately recognizable.

If only one day the Lego Group could turn tintin in a franchise.

Tintin LEGO would make me so very happy; if only this were true! :wub:

I really love this as a grand building, not just as Marlinspike Hall, and to my mind all it needs now is a bit of detailing. I'm really liking the furniture you have so far, and seeing the interior all filled out would look fantastic, as would adding a bit of greenery to the grounds. Maybe some ivy on the walls? Or some shrubs or a statue in the grounds? Really though, I'm only talking details; the Hall itself is wonderful, and I really love the box art you've come up with. :thumbup:

Thank you, and I know exactly how you feel. :cry_happy:

I really love this as a grand building, not just as Marlinspike Hall, and to my mind all it needs now is a bit of detailing. I'm really liking the furniture you have so far, and seeing the interior all filled out would look fantastic, as would adding a bit of greenery to the grounds. Maybe some ivy on the walls? Or some shrubs or a statue in the grounds? Really though, I'm only talking details; the Hall itself is wonderful, and I really love the box art you've come up with. :thumbup:

Thank you very much! Yes, I'll definitely work on the ivy and shrubs. The statue is a nice idea, I can't remember anything like that near the house in Hergé's actual work but perhaps a little bit of imaginative deviation could work. I also toyed with the idea of opening windows, which I might get back to.

Great design of a gorgeous building. Well done!. It would work almost as well as a Wayne Manor, which is an added bonus.

I'd never thought of a Lego Tintin range before ... but now that I have, wow! That would be amazing. Just think of some of the models - fantastic minisubs, bikes, gyrocopters, cars, interwar planes. It would be huge!

No hidden treasure room? What about that one loose stone step that kept tripping a few characters?

Great design and effort!

Thank you. I actually did incorporate the broken step, as I stated just before the second photo. :wink: And I'm going to add a cellar as a fourth section.

Oh, wow! Do we get instructions when it's done? :grin: I'd love to have this bad boy sitting on my dresser!

I'm flattered. :blush: I may upload the LDD file when it is 100% finished.

It looks great. I'm not generally fond of LDD creations, but this one looks realistic enough to be built eventually. I'm not familiar with Tintin house, but this manor looks very elegant. It could do with a bit more interior details and some greenery, but there's time to built that as well.

Looks really great, and like others have said, instantly recognizable!

For details, I would suggest the grand piano from The Castafiore Emerald, suits of armor and maybe a rose garden for Calculus/Tournesol to cultivate his Bianca rose...

Hello, 

i have been looking to build this from real bricks and sofar this project is the most attractive of all I have seen on the Internet in terms of color and design. 
I just wonder if you have a list generated with the bricks and quantities needed to build this so that I know what to order.

On 1/18/2014 at 10:57 AM, kinggregus said:

that would be nice... it is very popular!

Wow, what an amazing build! Indeed, the building is immediately recognisable! Wonderful!

I have a question that may be stupid (please forgive me in that case): I'm a great both Tintin and Lego fan - Tintin for many, many years but I'm more or less new to the world of Lego MOC. When I see a build like this, I would really like to try building it myself, but would it be possible to get a list of the bricks and quantities needed to build it, together with a digital design? As said, I'm sorry if this is a stupid question, but I'm new to this world and would appreciate your advise. Both with regards to this particular Moulinsart model but also in general: when you see a nice MOC that you would like to build yourself, is it generally possible to get design info from the builder behind it?