Sign in to follow this  
mrsniady1

Bluecoats ship l'Hermes

[pid][/pid] 156C

Hi

Here, I present to you Bluecoats Ship l’Hermes, the fastest ship on the seven seas. She’s a Sebeus’ Zephyr-class brig.

Here’s a story.

Sebeus I, the Pirate once worked for the Bluecoats, but eventually his pirate nature won. Bluecoats couldn’t stand the fact, that they lost Zephyr, the fastest ship that ever was. So they decided to build something even faster. They took Zephyr’s plans and they improved it (at least they thought so). They changed bow, stern, masts etc, leaving only broadsides untouched, as they found it perfect. So here it is: Hermes, owner of winged sandals and winged cap, messenger of the gods, god of commerce, thieves, travelers, sports, athletes, and border crossings, guide to the Underworld.

h01.jpg

Hermes is a brig built on a small prefab hull with two midsections.

h02.jpg

Small hull is pretty narrow, but that makes ship very fast with these big machine-sewn pvc-fabric sails.

h03.jpg

h04.jpg

h05.jpg

I built the sides using Sebeus’ “simplified tumblehome” technique. Not-so-simple, you know :pir_laugh2:

h06.jpg

Lifeboat can be lowered down. I’ve never seen this kind of solution before, so I guess I’m the first one to build it (or not?). Notice the stern, I’m pretty proud of it.

h07.jpg

I’ve made all of lines by myself, using flax (linen) thread, as I couldn’t get hemp-made one (you know why), like those used on real tallships in the sail-age. But it looks similar I think, besides you can’t get high with flax other way than just climbing.

h08.jpg

h09.jpg

h10.jpg

Hermes has an interior and a captain’s cabin as well. It’s rather tight, but its fully accessible and it’s probably first one built on a SMALL hull (is it?). Only issue is that plume must be taken off the hat before closing roof.

h11.jpg

h12.jpg

h13.jpg

h14.jpg

On the left: bluecoat infantry. They are to help musketeers - famous Cocteau Twins (in front of a picture) in their secret mission ordered by Roi-Soleil himself. On the right you can see marines commanded by Admiral Jean Marie Baptiste Louis Francois Brickeur Comte de Stud. There are no sailors on the picture because they actually took this photo.

h15.jpg

Admiral Jean Marie Baptiste Louis Francois Brickeur Comte de Stud followed by his personal cook inspects his marines (I believe the name of the one with a moustache is Rene Artois).

h16.jpg

Hermes set sails to set off on the secret mission.

So, Noble Seawolfs, give some of your C&C’s to obedient servant of yours.

At your service!

mrsniady1

Very nice! Love the closure on the stern. One question, how are the arms on the admiral? I've considered making that swap before, but with the bad quality of the CMF arms, I've been afraid it won't turn out well.

Nice! It's visible the Sebeus technique, but also some nice new features like a captain's cabin (hard to build in a ship this size).

The color scheme is... original :) I just can't say it's bad, but it reminds me something like a late '80s cartoon robot.

Great work by the way, I like it!

Here’s a story.

Sebeus I, the Pirate once worked for the Bluecoats, but eventually his pirate nature won. Bluecoats couldn’t stand the fact, that they lost Zephyr, the fastest ship that ever was. So they decided to build something even faster. They took Zephyr’s plans and they improved it (at least they thought so). They changed bow, stern, masts etc, leaving only broadsides untouched, as they found it perfect.

:excited: I like that story,

You have indeed improved the original design, I love the bow section, it adds a much better shape on top of the prefab hull :thumbup: .

I'm amazed that you managed to get an interior in such small space.

The sails look great as well, three courses of sails is much better than two.

I'm glad to have been an inspirement.

Now I hope those bluecoats don't intend to chase me down, now that they have a ship faster than the Zephyr I feel a whole less comfortable pir_laugh2.gif .

That's a pretty slick ship you've built for yourself. I think the stern is well executed from design to the connection with the technic bits at the bottom. The sails are also something that it shows you've put a lot of effort into. Well done here.

I do think that some more proper headrails would compliment the ship nicely and maybe some smaller brick build carronades to replace the massive cannon on your gundeck.

Brick on my friend!

Great level of detail on such a little rascal!pirate_laugh2.gif I like her background story very much. And she looks really fast! Seems you're gonna be in Tortuga hunting down pirates long before anyone has finished pronouncing the admiral's full name.default_laugh_hard.gifdefault_rofl.gifthumbup.gif

Very adorable!

Keep it up!

Very nice! Love the closure on the stern. One question, how are the arms on the admiral? I've considered making that swap before, but with the bad quality of the CMF arms, I've been afraid it won't turn out well.

Thanks!

And about those arms: right arm works well but the left one hangs loose – for sure that happens because of poor quality of CMFs.

Nice! It's visible the Sebeus technique, but also some nice new features like a captain's cabin (hard to build in a ship this size).

The color scheme is... original :) I just can't say it's bad, but it reminds me something like a late '80s cartoon robot.

Great work by the way, I like it!

You just gave me an idea of mixing my ship with this mech I own (colors match perfect), to create very first lego tallship transformer. Hmmmm…. Let me think again.

:excited: I like that story,

You have indeed improved the original design, I love the bow section, it adds a much better shape on top of the prefab hull :thumbup: .

I'm amazed that you managed to get an interior in such small space.

The sails look great as well, three courses of sails is much better than two.

I'm glad to have been an inspirement.

I knew you gonna like it. :laugh:

The truth is that it was much easier for me to build Hermes, while having Zephyr in my sight.

I was dealing with small hull with two midsections for some time (e. g. I tried to include a slope-builded tumblehome) when You posted your Zephyr. I found it a perfect solution for a ship this size, so yes, it was a great inspiration for me. Thanks again

Very good!

I like the lifeboat - this is something which I have also sometimes tried to include.

Your solution looks good!

Thank You, Sir!

Feel free to use this solution!

That's a pretty slick ship you've built for yourself. I think the stern is well executed from design to the connection with the technic bits at the bottom. The sails are also something that it shows you've put a lot of effort into. Well done here.

I do think that some more proper headrails would compliment the ship nicely and maybe some smaller brick build carronades to replace the massive cannon on your gundeck.

Brick on my friend!

Thank you, as I wrote above, I’m proud of the stern. :laugh:

And yes, it took a lot of work to finish the sails. But I think you know that best.

I had to skip on headrails, because I wanted to include those white wings for Hermes figure. Adding hedrails while leaving wings would demand rebuilding the bow section but for sure it’s a thing to think about.

I build my ships for my kids to play, so that’s why I do not implement custom rigging, and that’s why I used heavy artillery (it’s much cooler, you know :pir-classic: ).

Thanks for Your comment and let me ask You about Your beautiful ships: any progress?

So thanks again and brick on!

Great level of detail on such a little rascal!pirate_laugh2.gif I like her background story very much. And she looks really fast! Seems you're gonna be in Tortuga hunting down pirates long before anyone has finished pronouncing the admiral's full name.default_laugh_hard.gifdefault_rofl.gifthumbup.gif

Very adorable!

Keep it up!

Thanks!

And here's a picture of my son's shelf.

h17.jpg

Yoy can see the Neptune and there is also the Redskull, behind QAR and BP.

Thanks again and brick on!

Edited by mrsniady1

You just gave me an idea of mixing my ship with this mechI own (colors match perfect), to create very first lego tallship transformer. Hmmmm…. Let me think again.

That would certainly be the first of its kind but it also seems an incredible challenge, to combine high tech machinery with relative primitive tall ship...

Definitely not an obvious Idea but I'd like to see it happen pirate_satisfied.gif

Thanks!

And about those arms: right arm works well but the left one hangs loose – for sure that happens because of poor quality of CMFs.

ahhh ok. Well I wont be doing that then. It's a shame they dont make the CMFs from the regular stuff.

All I can say is… Dear Santa…

I really like the lifeboat section, and the midsection where the cannons can turn around. Very cool, and you obviously chose the right colour. BLUE!

Its a very nice boat… er…. I mean Ship!

Edited by pcvando

I recently upgraded my ship by adding headrails, so I decided to post picture of them and bump up this old thread. So here it is:

wp_20150418_16_38_33_int.jpg

Boatifull! Those headrails look nice. Overall a very good nice ship for the bluecoats.

Just a little criticism: The Anchor-cranes are a little too high, you should put them on the same level as the sides.