Im surprised this thread hasn't been started earlier! Great idea! I'll certainly be looking this thread up when I start bricklinking mine =D

Im surprised this thread hasn't been started earlier! Great idea! I'll certainly be looking this thread up when I start bricklinking mine =D

Glad I could help. It's a challenge to BL this thing, but you appreciate the final result so much more...

If you've modded one and want to share what you've done/know of a modded one, post it here.

Since you asked so nicely, HanShotFirst...

On second thoughts: to avoid swamping this [highly useful] index, I'll post this in a new topic.

Edited by ScottishDave

Since you asked so nicely, HanShotFirst...

On second thoughts: to avoid swamping this [highly useful] index, I'll post this in a new topic.

Nice…the quality of that MOC is phenomenal! I like the lighting. What's the trans green piece in the first pic?

Nice…the quality of that MOC is phenomenal! I like the lighting. What's the trans green piece in the first pic?

Thanks!

Do you mean the green 1x1 round trans-green plates lining the corridors? They are representing the Falcon's corridor lighting, as seen on this render of the Falcon's corridors (I can't find a decent still from the film).

Thanks!

Do you mean the green 1x1 round trans-green plates lining the corridors? They are representing the Falcon's corridor lighting, as seen on this render of the Falcon's corridors (I can't find a decent still from the film).

Yeah, that's it. I meant the 2nd pic, not the first. I see it now. I love what you did with the radar dish, too...much better than anything I've come up with!

Edited by HanShotFirst

I love what you did with the radar dish

Thanks! I got the basic idea from Mike Psiaki's (non-UCS) Falcon. I wasn't sure about using the droid arms at first, but they are growing on me. I'm pretty happy that I got the shape and look of the central dome right.

However, I am thinking of using OceanBlue77's radar dish stand, as from the pictures I've seen, it is even more accurate than Mike's...

post-20989-0-04907400-1427528219_thumb.jpg

I'm considering this mod: what piece you think was used for the double bar for the steering axles of the flaps, it looks to me too short to be the bar used as sword that is 4 stud long (30374 on bricklink)?

I'm considering this mod: what piece you think was used for the double bar for the steering axles of the flaps, it looks to me too short to be the bar used as sword that is 4 stud long (30374 on bricklink)?

Ah yes, OceanBlue72's engine mod! It's a great one, and the rest of his mods are worth checking out too if you like that sort of thing.

I recreated this exact mod a few years ago.

It definitely is the 30374 which is pictured.

To my eyes, the bars look too long in this photo. You might want to consider the Bar 3L instead: http://www.bricklink...colorID=86&in=A

This mod is very delicate in it's original form, and very tricky to get right. I redid it about a year ago, taking advantage of my curved engine mod, to proudce a simpler and much stronger version:

12122071375_5ff7928555.jpg

I replaced half the 2x2 plates on top of my engine mod with 2x2 tiles, then alternated 4x8 plates with 4 x 9 wedge plates (or without stud notches - doesn't matter). For the underside, I used 4x4 plates, and held them on using "O" clip plates. in a 180 SNOT configuration.

However, as with OceanBlue72's mod, individual bottom plates fall off too easily - I'm getting fed up putting them back on. I am currently considering how to strengthen this: I'm thinking hinge plates, like Brian Tobin's falcon or 1x3 tile plates (on order) to go under the rear hull plates.

I have the Falcon in bits in front of me right now, so if you more information, or detailed photos of the construction, now is a good time to ask!

Edited by ScottishDave

With all the photo on flicker along with your explanations I think I have a clear idea of the mods.

Now I would look accurately at the panels for the rear hull angle mod, I would know wich pieces I need over the original ones I have.

Thank you.

With all the photo on flicker along with your explanations I think I have a clear idea of the mods.

Good, glad to help.

Now I would look accurately at the panels for the rear hull angle mod, I would know wich pieces I need over the original ones I have.

Thank you.

You mean, this, I take it?

12506997464_805f306071.jpg

From memory: for the rear engine deck, its mostly 3x12 wedge plates (8 of each type), a few plates & 1 x 4 hinge plates underneath (as seen here) and a few extra bits for detailing. I took most of the existing detail from the existing engine deck as-is and moved it onto the new one.

For the mid-rear quarters, with the greebly cutouts... well. It's hard to say what extra bits you need. Take a close look at the photo. You need all the parts you can see there, plus all sorts of plates to hold it all together underneath and more 1x4 hinges. It's a mess underneath, but it works.

Let me know if you need any more photos.

I didn't find the last side plate of the flaps: it seems a wedge plate 4x7.

Any idea?

Dave, please help.

post-20989-0-43598700-1429897261_thumb.jpg

Edited by rahservizi

Hi, Isn't that just a 2x4 Plate (part 3020) and a 4x4 Plate Cut corner (part 30503) that are joined together? :classic:

Hi, Isn't that just a 2x4 Plate (part 3020) and a 4x4 Plate Cut corner (part 30503) that are joined together? :classic:

I analized a few photo zooming and it seemed a single piece but you are right, it is as you said, it is obvious now: probably i'm a little tired today ;-)

I analized a few photo zooming and it seemed a single piece but you are right, it is as you said, it is obvious now: probably i'm a little tired today ;-)

I've spent far too much time trawling through Bricklink during the last couple of years, I think I need to get another hobby! :wink:

Yup, those are the ones.

There's also a 1x4 plate (3710) between the pieces you identified.

I recently finished the lower engine flaps, and I think you might find this useful:

17265310385_9722fb5870.jpg

The lower flaps are designed to match the ones. I built the flaps themselves the same way as the upper ones, and mounted them on 4x4 plates. I then joined those plates to one another using hinge plates.

Lastly I attached them to the curved engine block using modified 1x1 plates with thick "o" rings. It's a Snot 180 technique which can be seen on this wiki page

I also built a new curved piece of hull to go between the new flaps and the landing bay housing:

17265531045_e6b72f1ebb.jpg

To save you tearing your hair out analysing this one, the LXF for this part is here

Note (on the LXF) the use of "old style" hinge plates as 180-snot joiners. You have to use these, I'm afraid, in place of the original clips and hinges, to get the new section a crucial half-plates-thickness lower. You'll also have to replace a left and right wedge brick with a pair of 2x3 wedge plates and a 1x3 plate to allow the new piece to "slot in" to the landing bay housing. The end result is very rigid and strong, and easily bears some of the weight of the engine section.

Engine room interior:

17239342516_2d58fc807f.jpg

17077763810_2d26d98968.jpg

Totally made up, of course. You never, ever see this place in the film, so me and the kids let our imaginations run riot. The main goal was playability: the minifigs have to be able to "maintain" the engines.

Note the battery box in the corner. This is the one that powers the LED strip in the engines which makes them light up. It's usually covered with a brickbuilt greebly piece.

Edited: spelling.

Edited by ScottishDave

That's amazing ScottishDave, and far better than the original set.

I really like the design of your engines, they look suitably chaotic and are crammed with details. If you're interested in the Hyperdrives, there's a drawing of one in the Haynes worshop manual for the Falcon! To be honest, I'm not sure if it's based on anything, but it's quite an interesting design :laugh:

That's amazing ScottishDave, and far better than the original set.

I really like the design of your engines, they look suitably chaotic and are crammed with details. If you're interested in the Hyperdrives, there's a drawing of one in the Haynes worshop manual for the Falcon! To be honest, I'm not sure if it's based on anything, but it's quite an interesting design :laugh:

Thanks for the comments and the suggestion :classic: .

Going by TESB, I suspect that the Hyperdrive is threaded through the ship, and so intertwined with the other ship's systems that it is impossible to debug without tearing half the ship apart. I'd be very surprised if there was a single neat box labelled "Hyperdrive" in the Falcon's engine room (and if there was, it would probably be Han's espresso machine).

It's all hypothetical, of course, and I can only hope that JJ sets some scenes in this area come December :laugh: .