paul

New RC trains + Older 9v Trains.......

According to Lugnet, bley was introduced 2004. So the 4511 (released 2003) is made of darkgrey, not bley. Peeron seconds that.

You have corrected me while I was wrong *sweet* ... thanks, I got confused.

4511 was produced in old gray but the latest sets came in blay (haven't heard about "mixed" sets). The two expansion sets (10157 and 10158) have always come in blay.

I got a 4511 for christmas in 2004 that was old gray. I also bought 10157 and 10158 without knowing they came in blay only, so I had a mixed 4511. While I don't mind a blay-only set that mixed train looked like :-X

You have corrected me while I was wrong *sweet* ... thanks, I got confused.

No Prob. X-D

4511 was produced in old gray but the latest sets came in blay (haven't heard about "mixed" sets). The two expansion sets (10157 and 10158) have always come in blay.

While I don't mind a blay-only set that mixed train looked like :-X

Well, THIS is really weird. |-/ I didn

I can see this 'Hobby' is not going to be as straight forward as I first thought !!! Oh well I like a challenge :-/

"Nothing at all, except the RC is impotent in its' ability to pull load. The new RC train cars and locomotives are full of larger pieces or use very small cars to reduce weight. The more recent 9v trains and cars are much much heavier, especially the Super Chief. IIRC, one of the first people to get an RC train tried to pull three or four Super Chief passenger wagons with an RC locomotive and was unable to do so."

I found this quote to be :-D. I hope TLC has heard from people who have tried pulling such cars and will not discontinue the 9V system on this basis. I have been a 9V train collector/fan since they came out. The only thing I think is cool about the RC system is the sound ability. I have not bought any of the RC trains, but I have been thinking about it for the sound system. I hope to see TLC take the technologies from both systems and create a 9V train that will be similar to the model railroad systems for HO & O scale. This type of system would be *sweet* .

Sorry I could not figure out how to make the quote look like the others, someone please tell me how.

"Nothing at all, except the RC is impotent in its' ability to pull load. The new RC train cars and locomotives are full of larger pieces or use very small cars to reduce weight. The more recent 9v trains and cars are much much heavier, especially the Super Chief. IIRC, one of the first people to get an RC train tried to pull three or four Super Chief passenger wagons with an RC locomotive and was unable to do so."

I found this quote to be :-D. I hope TLC has heard from people who have tried pulling such cars and will not discontinue the 9V system on this basis. I have been a 9V train collector/fan since they came out. The only thing I think is cool about the RC system is the sound ability. I have not bought any of the RC trains, but I have been thinking about it for the sound system. I hope to see TLC take the technologies from both systems and create a 9V train that will be similar to the model railroad systems for HO & O scale. This type of system would be *sweet* .

Sorry I could not figure out how to make the quote look like the others, someone please tell me how.

Unfortunately the sound system of the RC trains is contained only in the remote control unit. There's a button on the remote that when pressed, the sound comes out of the remote. The train itself makes no sounds outside of what the electric motor makes. You'd be just as well off to make 'choo choo' sounds.

--Tony

Thank you Tony for the feedback. I did not realize that is how the system worked. I haven't studied the RC system so I am unfamiliar with it. Thank you again :-) .

I think that wagon on the right is a separately sold wagon, (don't remember the number) made for 4511, which was released later. :-)

Just found a picture on brickshelf showing the comparison between the 4511 and add on set,I cant believe that Lego released them in a different colours when they are clearly meant to be used together ????? I feel your pain if you bought the sets not knowing.......... :-(

http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?i=1623568

In 2003 lego switched (without warning) from old gray to bley (bluish gray). The seperatly sold waggon is only available in bley because it was made later.

Well guys I've done it.I have got hold of some 9v sets,4511,metroliner,santa fe etc.after purchasing the new cargo train and seeing how much it was struggling with the supplied cars i thought that there is no way i can build the trains i want with a pure rc setup,so i followed your advice,and how happy am i *sweet* ,I figure that i can run both systems on the 9v track and have the best of both worlds(run 4 trains on the same track)and best of all i can have a nice long santa fe train.the only problem i have now is that all the sets i have bought have old grey track and i need to expand my setup soon so cant decide whether to sell my old grey and start with complete new bley or try to get more old grey(ebay,bricklinketc) ? *wacko* Anyway thankyou for all your advice....... *y*

Well guys I've done it.I have got hold of some 9v sets,4511,metroliner,santa fe etc.after purchasing the new cargo train and seeing how much it was struggling with the supplied cars i thought that there is no way i can build the trains i want with a pure rc setup,so i followed your advice,and how happy am i *sweet* ,I figure that i can run both systems on the 9v track and have the best of both worlds(run 4 trains on the same track)and best of all i can have a nice long santa fe train.the only problem i have now is that all the sets i have bought have old grey track and i need to expand my setup soon so cant decide whether to sell my old grey and start with complete new bley or try to get more old grey(ebay,bricklinketc) ? *wacko* Anyway thankyou for all your advice....... *y*

Don't forget converting 7898 to 9V is as simple as switching out the motor bogey. Granted if you want to get rid of the lumps on the side you gotta add some bricks, but that can be done at a later date. :-)

... so cant decide whether to sell my old grey and start with complete new bley or try to get more old grey(ebay,bricklinketc) ? *wacko* Anyway thankyou for all your advice....... *y*

Old grey -> 9V

Bley -> RC-system

As far as I know, there are no 9V-tracks in bley, so it depends if you want to stay on cruising with your 9V engine. 8-|

Go for netzstecker.gif

I'm sure the 9v track currently available on s@h is the newer grey and the track that came with my engine shed is definately 9v in new grey? cheers

Old grey -> 9V

Bley -> RC-system

As far as I know, there are no 9V-tracks in bley, so it depends if you want to stay on cruising with your 9V engine. 8-|

Go for netzstecker.gif

The 9v tracks currently on LS@H are definitely in Bley as I got some recently. Also my Motorized Hogworths Express came with Bley Tracks.

David

As far as I know, there are no 9V-tracks in bley,
I'm sure the 9v track currently available on s@h is the newer grey and the track that came with my engine shed is definately 9v in new grey? cheers

paul is right, newer 9V track come in bley. I don't really care about that but there's people who don't want to mix...

The 9v tracks currently on LS@H are definitely in Bley as I got some recently. Also my Motorized Hogworths Express came with Bley Tracks.

David

Oooops! :-$ But with this fact, there is hope that TLG will continue to produce the old 9V track. *y*

... but there's people who don't want to mix...

One would be me! :-P