HenrikLego

Turntable and shed

The last months I've been working on a new project. A turntable and a shed. The turntable is powered by a PF-M motor. All the PF is inside the turntable itself. Here are some images of the process, I'll post more images when I'm further in the process.

9523292704_c70a053d15_c.jpg

11961067494_e4079e84fd_c.jpg

11960922043_a2fde7030d_c.jpg

11960626365_119677bd85_c.jpg

Here is a video showing the first functional test of the turntable:

Edited by HenrikLego

It's beautiful! :cry_happy: I really love the way you made the roof and that turntable is just fantastic. Have you figured out a way to get it to stop when it's aligned with a track, or will it be difficult to control with the remote?

It's beautiful! :cry_happy: I really love the way you made the roof and that turntable is just fantastic. Have you figured out a way to get it to stop when it's aligned with a track, or will it be difficult to control with the remote?

I agree, every aspect looks great, even the different colors of grey inside the circle. I'm also looking forward to hearing about the control.

Thanks for all your comments. Hopefully I will get some more work done on this during the next weeks!

No, I have not found a way to stop it so it aligns perfect to the tracks. I anyone has a good idea on how to do this within my design I would be very thankful.

The motorization is quite simple. Just a M-motor connected to technic wheels (geared down a lot). I can take a photo of the underside of the turntable tonight to show you how it works.

great looking shed and turntable!!! I'm also working on a turntable but will be difficult to match your excellent work!

Great engine shed. I really like the brick build look and the colous. And that roof looks promising as well!

Also the turntable is magnificent. It is a really big one, but it functions well.

Very nice! Perhaps you could use the other channel on the receiver to control a medium motor that raises/lowers a lever that slips in a groove whenever the turntable is perfectly aligned? Thereby preventing it from turning further. You would just have to quickly stop the turn table motor right after the lock engages.

Thanks again!

JopieK: I've seen your turntable and it has been very inspiring to see your work.

zephyr1934: I've been fiddling around with that idea in my head as well. It could work. It could also be an option to use a 9v micromotor to save space. I need to test this!

Here is a picture underneath the turntable:

11991739144_9b278fdf67_c.jpg

Maybe go with grooves that are a plate deep and a stud wide that the wheel passes over, aligned with the tracks - stop at the right time and the wheel sits on the gap without moving side to side.

Another possibility is to simply gear it down a lot more so that it turns really slow... like 1/2 the speed in your video or even slower. It would be prototypical but it would also get old quickly.

The one problem I could see with micromotors is if the stop puts too much force on the retractable beam, a mircomotor might not be able to overcome it... or it might burn out prematurely.

What about building stop points into the walls of the turntable pit, perhaps only for one direction, then have a 1-2 studs retractable portion under one end of the deck. If it is easier to make the stops so that it only aligns with one direction of rotation, when going the other way, you simply overshoot, extend the "stopper" and turn back.

I really like the whole idea of an engine depot with turntable, especially the roof came out very nicely.

May I just ask what happened to the previous version, where the stalls were at an angle to each other, so a "true" roundhouse? :classic:

Wow that engine shed is very awesome :wub: I love the colour scheme and that roof is delicious!! The turntable is certainly very well engineered too!

Fantastic work and I look forward to seeing more progression, happy building :laugh:

Many thanks for all of your nice comments and suggestions. I'll update with more images when I have the time to build some more!

May I just ask what happened to the previous version, where the stalls were at an angle to each other, so a "true" roundhouse? :classic:

The previous version took more space and I didn't have space to place it in my layout. It also got very complicated to build it in modules. So I split up some of the modules and reused them into this new version.

Edited by HenrikLego