This is looking great! Can\t wait to see it all together.

On 9/16/2019 at 4:00 PM, KotZ said:

This is looking great! Can\t wait to see it all together.

I can't wait either @KotZ! I hope you like my latest teaser of what I've been up to:

48772534481_eb55c0050d_z.jpg

This is an updated and vastly enlarged form of sets 6769 / 6762, (Fort Legoredo) with new parts and some modifications to the original set. These new parts include two cannons which oddly are missing in the original sets. (You will note the battle damage to one of them, as I ran out of brown 1 x 2 log parts and fell in love with the look.)

I have heavily modified this model from it's original set state by adding Technic pins to hold the sections together, and by filling in the gaps in the wooden walls. The jail cell has also been enlarged and opened up for play-ability, plus a train platform had been placed at the secondary gate (opposite the main one) for loading and unloading soldiers and equipment.

What do you guys think?

Fort Legoredo was the pinnacle of desire for Lego sets during my late childhood. I finally acquired it as an adult and love the set. I like the additions you have made to it, but I miss height of the main gate and the flag and the big sign above the main gate. 

In my opninion, it looks a little bland, maybe because there's not much in it yet. All of your other designs (while definitely keeping in spirit with LEGO's Wild West theme of open backs and such, all feel a lot more intricate at the moment, especially the hidden cliff.

20 hours ago, SilentWolf said:

Fort Legoredo was the pinnacle of desire for Lego sets during my late childhood. I finally acquired it as an adult and love the set. I like the additions you have made to it, but I miss height of the main gate and the flag and the big sign above the main gate. 

I plan on placing a custom US civil war-era flag above the main gate.... I just have to order it, plus a Confederate flag for the wandering band of renegade troops who decided not to surrender in 1865, and a cavalry battle flag or two for my Union commander.

6 hours ago, KotZ said:

In my opninion, it looks a little bland, maybe because there's not much in it yet. All of your other designs (while definitely keeping in spirit with LEGO's Wild West theme of open backs and such, all feel a lot more intricate at the moment, especially the hidden cliff.

I really wasn't sure what to put inside the fort as when I scaled it up, the blank spaces just became bigger.... I need to work on making those area less obvious. (I'm looking at you, 100% blank wall!)

48782841237_ff417e1bbd_n.jpg\

Side note: I'm hopefully going to have 16 of these cacti sitting on the Western layout come November. The design is an old LEGO Club one from the Lone Ranger era that I reverse engineered and strengthened with a rod going through it.

4 hours ago, Murdoch17 said:

I really wasn't sure what to put inside the fort as when I scaled it up, the blank spaces just became bigger.... I need to work on making those area less obvious. (I'm looking at you, 100% blank wall!)

48782841237_ff417e1bbd_n.jpg\

Side note: I'm hopefully going to have 16 of these cacti sitting on the Western layout come November. The design is an old LEGO Club one from the Lone Ranger era that I reverse engineered and strengthened with a rod going through it.

I would suggest some tents or something for the army forces to sleep in. I think that would help fill it out. And those cacti look great.

On 9/23/2019 at 11:59 PM, KotZ said:

I would suggest some tents or something for the army forces to sleep in. I think that would help fill it out. And those cacti look great.

Thanks for the idea, I'll look into it for the future... as for right now, there isn't enough time / money to do it, as I have got until November 9th for the western display to be up-and-running, and my Lego budget is expended for now. Maybe when I get the models back in January I can do it, but not before then. Thanks again for checking in @KotZ!

48975474402_50d8470d42_z.jpg

Anyway, I updated the first post with the new loco pictures and created a separate topic for the red train in the Train Tech sub-forum, as the engine is now modeled after set 71044's (Disney train) 4-4-0 and I thought warranted it's own discussion.

Enjoy!

49218986678_59cd833296_z.jpg

Here are all the pictures of my Wild West stuff on display at Our Lady of the Snows, in Belleville, Illinois until December 31st. The stuff seen there is only a portion of what I have built in the last six years.

49229456142_3761fd5c60_z.jpg

Sadly this station is not on display in Illinois, but it is now in the first post and has replaced the 2015-era original station. (You can also find the station in it's dedicated Train Tech topic here) Any thoughts?

Edited by Murdoch17

On 1/13/2014 at 8:15 PM, Murdoch17 said:

US 1880's LEGOREDO MODULAR TRAIN DEPOT

49229456142_3761fd5c60_z.jpg

I originally got this basic model from a page on Bricksafe by user @sed6 as seen here. I revised the freight door to be movable, changed the roof color to dark red from black, building color to sand green from tan, plus I added a "cast iron" heating stove and it's chimney flue to the model for late-1800's period look. I have named the Fort Legoredo passenger depot after the famous set number 6761. (Fort Legoredo)

Wow, wow, wow this is so full of awesomeness! Your recolor and changes to the depot look great. Everything looks great. 

On 12/17/2019 at 9:52 PM, sed6 said:

Wow, wow, wow this is so full of awesomeness! Your recolor and changes to the depot look great. Everything looks great. 

Thank you @sed6, glad you like it, as it is your original design that inspired me after all!

On 12/24/2019 at 1:20 PM, Rockstaremcee said:

I'm only through the 1st page and I am thoroughly impressed!  Very exciting builds!

Thank you @Rockstaremcee, here is another build I'm working on, the legendary engine number 4!

49356456943_8cfcc2ebaa_z.jpg

Since I can't think of a proper fourth steam engine design to go with the three Western trains I've already built, I've decided to build this small traction engine in blue, with the number 4 on it's sides instead. It will most likely ride on a flat car on my wild west freight train as seen here, in preparation for it's delivery at my engine sheds.

This model was built from instructions seen at the Old Workhorse's Lego Ideas page as seen here. (I am not affiliated with the creator of that page, I just used their free instructions, visible further down in the updates section, to build the traction engine seen here.)

49356456988_9a0a5d01d3_z.jpg

The rear of the traction engine features a hook. This is used for hauling cold engines around in the yard for servicing or for fueling at the start of the day. This little hauler may be slow, but it sure is strong!

More pictures will come when the model is finished in real bricks!

Edited by Murdoch17

"...Just about a year ago
I set out on the road
Seekin' my fame and fortune
Lookin' for a pot of gold
Thing got bad things got worse
I guess you will know the tune
Oh! lord stuck in lodi again..."

- opening section of the song "Lodi", by Creedence Clearwater Revival

49459789987_a379d53a30_z.jpg

This notoriously shady side-wheel steamboat, named Lodi, was named after the city of it's construction in 1869. But unlike the strict city of Lodi, with it's anti-gambling stance, Sunday no-business laws and abstinence from alcohol attitude, this boat thumbs it's nose at those rules, resembling the city in name only. It's a haven for card-sharks, pick pockets, and bootleggers selling "medicinal" snake oil.

Why would anyone take a ride on the Lodi, you ask? Well, the only other steamboat plying Rapid River is the Proud Mary stern-wheeler, which takes about a two weeks to get from one end of the river to the other. (not including stop times at towns and villages) The Lodi then has a sweet spot when the competition is out of the way: it's the only other steam boat in town, making it very easy to attract potential customers.

49459790017_8316527188_z.jpg

The two side-wheel's are connected two each other by a Technic rod, while a Civil War-era American flag goes on the rear flagpole. The front ramp should be held in place by a piece of 4-stud long chain. (not shown)

Builder's Notes: This model was created out of my desire to have two different styles of steamboat next to my Eads bridge model at the National Model Railroad Association show this summer in my hometown of St. Louis.

Any complaints, comments, or suggestion for future ideas are welcome!

This is it: as of this week I have my own place of residence (no longer living with parents), and finally have the room to have my own layout again. I'm thinking of a wild west-type setup for my tables, with a drop table-section 4 feet x 2 feet for the Eads bridge, (sort of off center), bracketed by one normal height 6 x 3 foot table at one end, and at the other, three normal height tables of the same size. (I already have all this except for one of the 6 x 3 foot tables.) As for the topside of the tables, the only two models really missing from this equation is the turntable, (which is still not built), and the second station. (under construction, and not shown on the map) Any other models potentially needed for this layout will come at a later date. Also, the tan table cloth are being worked on, as I only have two, and need four. See the spoiler tag for the large picture of the layout plan. (It didn't compress well to the smaller size with the writing.)

Spoiler

49604886903_08a7910ab3_b.jpg

Congratulations on that major life step! And good luck with the layout.

2 hours ago, Murdoch17 said:

This is it: as of this week I have my own place of residence (no longer living with parents), and finally have the room to have my own layout again. I'm thinking of a wild west-type setup for my tables, with a drop table-section 4 feet x 2 feet for the Eads bridge, (sort of off center), bracketed by one normal height 6 x 3 foot table at one end, and at the other, three normal height tables of the same size. (I already have all this except for one of the 6 x 3 foot tables.) As for the topside of the tables, the only two models really missing from this equation is the turntable, (which is still not built), and the second station. (under construction, and not shown on the map) Any other models potentially needed for this layout will come at a later date. Also, the tan table cloth are being worked on, as I only have two, and need four. See the spoiler tag for the large picture of the layout plan. (It didn't compress well to the smaller size with the writing.)

Reveal hidden contents

Congrats on having your own place.  Go West, young man.  :classic:

3 hours ago, Murdoch17 said:

This is it: as of this week I have my own place of residence (no longer living with parents), and finally have the room to have my own layout again.

Great!

:thumbup:

On 3/1/2020 at 1:31 PM, icm said:

Congratulations on that major life step! And good luck with the layout.

On 3/1/2020 at 3:03 PM, dr_spock said:

Congrats on having your own place.  Go West, young man.  :classic:

On 3/1/2020 at 4:12 PM, The Reader said:

Great!

:thumbup:

Thanks everybody, it means a lot to me! The first post has updated town building pictures and text in several places as of right now.

49649243926_ceb783c0fe_z.jpg

It's kind of a mess right now, but this is my current Western layout (so far). On the table closest to the camera we have Rapid River (Native American) Village, with three tepees and a private railroad siding where Doc Brown hides the time train from prying eyes when he's not working on it. 

The next table over (it's the depressed height one) features Boulder Cliff Canyon, with the expansive double-track Raindance Ridge Railroad Trestle spanning it's narrowest point. (Down below in the river is the Proud Mary steamboat, navigating the strong currents around the bridge piers)

The next two tables are full height, and feature the town of Legoredo, which comes complete with train station, barber shop, post office, saloon, blacksmith's, bank, general store, and the sheriff's office. Fort Legoredo is also nearby, (which is where the town got it's name) as is the Skull Mountain silver mine that provides about half of the jobs for the townsfolk.

Hopefully soon I can get the money together to get the RR locomotive shed ordered (seen below) for the folding table that arrives on Saturday. (It goes closer to the camera, near where the time train is sitting)

49676504443_fc670d95ef_z.jpg

This railway engine shed was inspired by @lightningtiger and one of his smaller sheds from a (long) while ago. He designed the basic Technic frame on his own smaller shed in 2018, and I ran with it to create this massive wooden western-style steam locomotive shed. I have expanded the walls out two studs to allow the time train to enter the shed with its pistons... before doing this it just wouldn't fit in very the tight space. The shed is 4 1/4 tracks long with a total of 68 studs from back wall to entrance to the building. The building also features a cow skull on the front between the locomotive stalls, just to give it that Wild West flair.

Most likely, the engines stored inside will be on a rotating basis which ones get used and which ones get put aside, as I do have four of them now, with the rotary snowplow train in the works, making five engines total. (if you include the time train.)

49676504103_d1609d58d9_z.jpg

The rear of the shed features a personnel door for workers. Up on the roof, you may have noticed those round black things: they are the vents for smoke and soot from steam engines to exit the building.

49677320842_f286010504_z.jpg

The roof of the shed is not removable, but it can fold open a bit on clips on either side.

Any thoughts?

Edited by Murdoch17

First post updated to included the snowplow, new shed pictures coming soon.

50146359352_653191c47c_z.jpg

The engine is two parts away from done, and I have found 50% of the parts needed to build the rotary snowplow + caboose in my own supply. I just ordered the needed pieces today from BrickLink. I'm expecting to see the train completed around the weekend of August 1st, with pictures uploading sometime that weekend.... hopefully they will arrive like I think they will!

Edited by Murdoch17

And now for a slight BUMP...

50152520298_31c183f156_z.jpg

This railway shed was inspired by @lightningtiger and his smaller shed from a thread so long ago I can't recall which one it was. He designed the basic Technic frame of this shed, and I ran with it to create this wooden western-style steam locomotive shed. It's gone through several revisions since first being uploaded in early May 2018, and  is now on the shortlist to be built in real life, as seen below.

50153326462_9507804cd4_z.jpg

These are all the parts left to order off BrickLink at some point in the future as the rest of them have been found in my collection. Please check out the first post (near the bottom of it) for more details on this old, yet new, model!

Also, as an update on the rotary snowplow: 4 out of 5 packages should be here on Tuesday. So things are moving faster than expected!

Edited by Murdoch17

On 7/30/2020 at 8:19 AM, Rockstaremcee said:

I am loving the updates!  The roof vents are a nice detail.  I am excited to see the snowplow for the train!

Thank you, @Rockstaremcee! Both the remaining yellow engine's part and this traction engine were purchased on the 6th of this month, as seen below. Also, the blue Garratt and rotary snow plow were finished yesterday, but pictures will wait until the yellow engine's part's arrive sometime next week.

50197174951_528fec9c77_z.jpg

This model will go on a flat car pulled by the yellow engine on it's late 1800's freight train.

50164420522_3e9e8b3b6b_z.jpg

Even though it is number 2 (constructed 1859 in my fictional head-cannon) on the roster, it is really older than my number 1 (built 1867) engine by nearly a decade. Oh, and just so for the record, and while we are talking about it, the red 4-6-0 number 3 was built in 1870, while the blue Garratt being built in 1890. (yes, that's twenty years before the first REAL Garratt type was even invented, but let's just say it's a forgotten prototype of an eccentric backwoods builder whose one-off design later was used to build the first Garratt in 1909 in England.)

Edited by Murdoch17

On 3/20/2020 at 12:11 AM, Murdoch17 said:

49649243926_ceb783c0fe_z.jpg

It's kind of a mess right now, but this is my current Western layout (so far). On the table closest to the camera we have Rapid River (Native American) Village, with three tepees and a private railroad siding where Doc Brown hides the time train from prying eyes when he's not working on it. 

The next table over (it's the depressed height one) features Boulder Cliff Canyon, with the expansive double-track Raindance Ridge Railroad Trestle spanning it's narrowest point. (Down below in the river is the Proud Mary steamboat, navigating the strong currents around the bridge piers)

The next two tables are full height, and feature the town of Legoredo, which comes complete with train station, barber shop, post office, saloon, blacksmith's, bank, general store, and the sheriff's office. Fort Legoredo is also nearby, (which is where the town got it's name) as is the Skull Mountain silver mine that provides about half of the jobs for the townsfolk.

Hopefully soon I can get the money together to get the RR locomotive shed ordered (seen below) for the folding table that arrives on Saturday. (It goes closer to the camera, near where the time train is sitting)

With all these great vehicles that looks very impressive, Murdoch17!:thumbup:

Do you plan to bring some landscape (baseplates, rocks and plants) to your layout, too?

At the moment I'm completing my Western layout. Originally I planned to have it finished in June/July and to show pics. But it takes longer than awaited. But next month it finally will be finished and then I'll show it here in the forum. A "sneak preview" you can find here when scrolling to the bottom.

On 8/13/2020 at 6:24 AM, Klaus-Dieter said:

With all these great vehicles that looks very impressive, Murdoch17!:thumbup:

Do you plan to bring some landscape (baseplates, rocks and plants) to your layout, too?

At the moment I'm completing my Western layout. Originally I planned to have it finished in June/July and to show pics. But it takes longer than awaited. But next month it finally will be finished and then I'll show it here in the forum. A "sneak preview" you can find here when scrolling to the bottom.

Thanks, @Klaus-Dieter, but the landscaping is kept to a minimum outside of shows. (keep unnecessary costs down, and more money for other things!)

On 8/13/2020 at 9:35 AM, Brandon Pea said:

Amazing 

Thank you @Brandon Pea!

50261181992_8c80d5157d_c.jpg

I've just taken this overall picture of the four locos Wild Western-style engines. They are numbered as follows:

Engine No. 1) I created more realistic version of set 10254 (Winter Village holiday train) for all the train fans who don't like the engine. I added working pistons, and a more cohesive green color scheme plus two more sets of wheels on the engine while modeling it after the unique "C.P. Huntington" of the Central Pacific Railroad. This loco pulls my 1870's military train. The original C.P. Huntington is at California State Railroad Museum.

Engine No. 2) This yellow 4-4-0 "American" type engine was originally modeled after set 7597 (Western Train Chase) with some design inspiration from TF Twitch's "Humble Sapphire" 4-4-0. This loco pulls my 1870's western freight train, and is modeled slightly after the last remaining American inside piston loco, the "Daniel Nason" of the Boston and Providence RR, preserved at the Museum of Transportation in Kirkwood, Missouri.

Engine No. 3) The red 4-6-0 "Ten Wheeler" type engine was originally modeled after set 71044 (Disney Train) with some design inspiration from Lone Ranger set 79111 (Constitution Train Chase). It pulls my old-fashioned passenger train. The loco is inspired by St. Louis Iron Mt. and Southern 635, also at the Museum of Transportation.

Engine No. 4) The blue 2-6-0+0-6-2 "Double Mogul" type engine was originally modeled after @SavaTheAggie's wonderful instructions, which I added working pistons and Big Ben Bricks medium drivers wheels to. The engine type (a Garratt) technically wasn't around until at least 1909, and was never sold in the USA, but whose counting? This two-for-one loco pushes my rotary snowplow.

Edited by Murdoch17