Sign in to follow this  
Phoxtane

Banked Curves

I am aware that banked curves are employed by the French group that likes to set the Lego train speed records, but I haven't seen any used in a more conventional set-up. I know that my Horizon Express likes to tip over in curves given the opportunity (and a long enough straight section to build up the speed...). Banked curves should solve this issue - one plate's height ought to give something like ten degrees, working from memory. Has anybody used these in their layout?

Something like this from the thread "flex-track ideas"

I built this flex-track balloon loop with a raised trackbed. In this case the flextrack works in my favour as you can't see there is nothing under the middle of the track.

IMG_0451%20(Mobile).JPG

Larger

There are also other possibilities to explore. Banked track for a roller coaster perhaps?

IMG_0452%20(Mobile).JPG

Larger

:classic: :classic:

On the other hand using flextrack to smoothen out curves or going all the way and just

using straight tracks within the tolerances to produce very large radius curves might allow for higher speeds.

Edited by pacc

Ive used banked curves before for Christmas trains under the tree. Banking works as long as the train can still run over it without tipping to the inside.

I've used banking at various times and not had problems with trains tipping inwards. I've simply put a 1x2 plate under the outer edge of the sleepers.

I do it like Andy, but not because of more speed in the curves (just make wider curves, don't expect high speeds around TLG's standard radius), but because it looks way better:

20140107_120843_LLS.jpg

Edit: It looks SO MUCH BETTER!

20140107_120448_LLS.jpg20140111_204038.jpg

Edited by ZueriHB

I have a slope where trains go downhill right into a curve (and on into the station), and that curve is banked by one plate on the outside so the trains don't have to drive at slowest speed (well, it might go faster after all, but it's better to be careful...).