Kristel

MOC: Sugar & Spice (Modular Building)

Hi everyone! I'd like to share my latest modular building, the Sugar & Spice. It's another New York inspired building, with a cupcake shop on the ground floor and apartment upstairs.

Here's a view of the overall building:

11884381355_38b43aec67_c.jpg

The cupcake shop:

11884362045_54e679b6d8_c.jpg

11885195786_27ca8dcb7a_c.jpg

The first floor of the apartment, with the kitchen and lounge room:

11885193446_d29c55ef78_c.jpg

11884778674_d2e50d4971_c.jpg

And the upper floor with the bedroom and bathroom:

11884613393_eaf7094d4e_c.jpg

The artwork above the bed was made by my 6.y.o. daughter. I promised her some time ago that I would find a way to incorporate it into one of my modular buildings.

11885182386_d2e6b796f1_c.jpg

The yellow ladder / stairs lead to the rooftop garden, accessed by the world's most dangerous hatch:

11884648163_87716bb5db_c.jpg

This building was started at the same time as the Black Velvet, as I had one idea for the shop windows, but two different visions for where I wanted the building as a whole to go - one being the darker Black Velvet, the other being the more light and airy Sugar & Spice. You can play spot the difference on the ground floor facade in the image below, which shows the Sugar & Spice between the Black Velvet (left) and my first New York style building, the Coveted Clutch, on the right.

11884332365_9d8ce2e575_c.jpg

More images available on flickr.

C&C welcome!

Wonderful modular 'Kristel', the outside totally looks New York, New York ! :grin:

The interior totally rocks and that white/lime green kitchen is to die for.....I have a white and lime green kitchen at home. :wink:

Keep them coming 'Kristel' and Brick On ! :grin:

Wow! ...just wow...

Love the monochromatic front of the whole building. It makes the shopfacade pop out without being 'flashy'. It gives this building a very realistic touch to it. Love all the details. Everything is just right. The stripes on the interiorwalls are simple yet very effective. Love the simple lounchetable...

Beautiful looking building!! I like the was you've used different textures and details rather than colour to make the exterior look interesting and the interior is just perfect!! The rooftop garden is a nice finishing touch!!

Excellent stuff!!

Another really great one, congratulations!

I especially like the diagonal tiled floor in the shop, the ground floor facade and the large orange cupboard. The all-grey facade is dearing, but works very well with all the interesting texture you incorporated.

I am already looking forward to your next building!

The interior is excellent, as is the exterior detailing. Really, the whole build is awesome!

I really like your building, would you be willing to share how you built the parquet floor in the cupcake shop?

I love how you decided to sacrifice some interior space to build those coloured interior walls. That's a move that many would not think of or attempt, but that SNOT stripy wall in the cupcake shop just looks perfect as a result.

The facade looks exactly how I would imagine it should be. And the color choice for the interior - especially the kitchen - is superb.

Oh, and your daughters artwork is the perfect finishing touch to that bedroom.

Excellent!

Kristel. Wow, just Wow! Another winner. This is really "top notch". I really like the color combination. A grey building normally doesn't sound great, but your use of white as an accent really makes it pop.

I also think the floor in th cupcake shop is terrific, I can't wait for an explanation. I can think of one way (maybe), just need time to try it out.

When do the instructions go on sale?

Andy D

Edited by Andy D

Although I don't usually like grey houses, this one however appeals to me. The interior is done nicely as well, especially the 1st floor!

Wow fantastic work Kristel...you have really captured the New York feel and architecture in your build. I love the interior details too...kudos to your daughters input too

Great work on the building. I especially like the cupcake store downstairs. Maybe you could throw in the 2 Broke Girls?

Beautiful... just beautiful. I like the zig-zag pattern on the ground floor. Also, the kitchen is real eye candy!

Great work Kristel :thumbup:

Great stuff again, reminds me of the cast-iron facades in SoHo. The shop front works very well in white, too.

The design of the entrance at the right (with the staircase) is maybe my favourite aspect of the facade. And I like the way the cupcakes are displayed in the shop window.

Thanks, everyone, for the nice comments! I'm glad you like it.

Another really great one, congratulations!

I especially like the diagonal tiled floor in the shop, the ground floor facade and the large orange cupboard. The all-grey facade is dearing, but works very well with all the interesting texture you incorporated.

I am already looking forward to your next building!

I really like your building, would you be willing to share how you built the parquet floor in the cupcake shop?

Kristel. Wow, just Wow! Another winner. This is really "top notch". I really like the color combination. A grey building normally doesn't sound great, but your use of white as an accent really makes it pop.

I also think the floor in th cupcake shop is terrific, I can't wait for an explanation. I can think of one way (maybe), just need time to try it out.

When do the instructions go on sale?

Andy D

Thanks Superfunk, sin and Andy!

The floor is a separate piece that is three plates deep - the middle one roughly in the shape of the floor space but on 45 degrees (using 45 degree wedge plates around the outside), the bottom layer of plates to hold that together and the top layer being the tiles. This slides into position and is then locked into place by the bricks for the back wall. Sorry for the verbal explanation only, I don't have any images at the moment.

The idea for the floor tiles came from cmddwc's Round Pharmacy and Doctors.

The instructions will be a little while away, as I haven't started them yet and my summer holidays are coming to an end. Back to work for me tomorrow. :(

I love how you decided to sacrifice some interior space to build those coloured interior walls. That's a move that many would not think of or attempt, but that SNOT stripy wall in the cupcake shop just looks perfect as a result.

The facade looks exactly how I would imagine it should be. And the color choice for the interior - especially the kitchen - is superb.

Oh, and your daughters artwork is the perfect finishing touch to that bedroom.

Excellent!

Wow fantastic work Kristel...you have really captured the New York feel and architecture in your build. I love the interior details too...kudos to your daughters input too

Wonderful modular building! I love the exterior but the interior is fantastic :wub: I particularly like the booths in the cupcake shop and the use of orange in the bedroom upstairs!

Fantastic work all round and happy building :laugh:

Another fantastic building from you, Kristel. It looks beatiful. My favourite details are the front window displays with cupcakes, the roof terrace and the floor inside the cupcake shop. I like the two tone exterior facade. It has enough texture in both colours to look interesting. On the inside, the splash of colour looks great. The wall art is a nice addition in both the shop and the appartment. Well done (as usual)! :thumbup:

I love your style, I love your creations.

Bravo !

When will you present a big layout ?

Edited by castor-troy

This is fantastic! The contrast between the older-style and very modern interior is wonderful and quite realistic. It evokes a feel of the interior apartment being recently renovated to make it quite modern, and the furniture looks like it came right out of Ikea or CB2!

Superb decisions all around.