Sign in to follow this  
ER0L

MOC: Checker New York Taxi Cab (Slot Car)

Hi all,

some of you may have seen the underfloor of this car already. It has been built as a slot car from scratch, that's why it's the most stable slot car we have so far.

11235137883_bea3a16d72.jpg

Some facts:

7 studs wide. Fits 3 whole minifigs, even 4, when omitting the rear windows. To my own surprise it is possible to seat 2 figs side by side even in such a setup which increases the possibilities very much. Don't know why I haven't tried this before ...

The car has the usual slot car chassis with moveable rear and steerable front axle, see www.flickr.com/photos/er0l/10383446935/.

Windscreen see www.flickr.com/photos/er0l/11066311676/

Credits:

Misterzumbi (www.flickr.com/photos/47504763@N05/6967047801/)

Henrik Hoexbroe (www.flickr.com/photos/hxmiesa/7222860256/)

Rear:

11235029915_6877bcfdd4.jpg

Four passengers:

11288126625_729911a7d3.jpg

On a trip in NYC:

11288171456_011711436b.jpg

Here you can find a video of the Checker moving. It was filmed during an endurance test with the Checker driving nearly a kilometre.

C&c welcome as usual, thanks for looking.

The slot car concept is quite a feat in its own right. Coupled with a well-built taxi such as this, you've got something exceptional. Nicely done!

Excellent look and feel to the Cab - that black and white SNOT checkerboard down the side is sweet. And it moves!

Tip of the hat to you!

This is great. Very well done. I like that you made it for slot car system. Brick on EROL.

The slot car concept is quite a feat in its own right. Coupled with a well-built taxi such as this, you've got something exceptional. Nicely done!

Thank you.

Awesome build ER0L! The cab looks great, especially moving :classic:

Glad you like it.

Excellent look and feel to the Cab - that black and white SNOT checkerboard down the side is sweet. And it moves!

Tip of the hat to you!

Thanks. Yeah, that's the most important thing.

AWESOME cab 'ER0L'.......keep the awesomeness coming and Brick On ! :grin:

Thanks a lot.

Looks great! I need to try building odd-numbered width stuff some time.

Thank you. In fact it's much easier to build appropriate 7w cars than 6w cars, especially when figs are involved.

This is great. Very well done. I like that you made it for slot car system. Brick on EROL.

Thanks a lot.

Great design, I particularly like the wind screen, have never seen it done like that before.

Thank you. There are quite a few vehicles with douple panes as a windscreen but maybe not slanted like this.

Many thanks all for commenting and viewing!

Great!

You are right that the vehicles takes the corners better (more pretty) with the string-system...

Thanks for the mention!

This is a very well-built taxi! I love the way four minifigs can be in it! :thumbup:

Thank you! Glad you like it. It's the 7w scheme that allows this.

Great!

You are right that the vehicles takes the corners better (more pretty) with the string-system...

Thank you! As you have put it: compromises, compromises ... In fact the pin system has so many advantages over the strings that we don't even think about them any more. You'll even be able to push a vehicle out of a garage and let it merge into the traffic ... some day ... hopefully. :wink:

Forgive me for reanimating an old thread, but is this something you offer plans for? I'm looking for a taxi to go with my Ghostbusters HQ set (Taxi Driver and no Taxi) and this set fits well. Thanks!

This is a great Checker Cab. I'm building the Ghostbuster Firehouse now and wanted to build a cab to put the driver in just like the movie, just need a yuppie to have as his fare. Do you have an LDD of this or other instructions, I would love to be able to add this to the firehouse set and make it stand out. If not no worries and again you did a fabulous job on the build, it really looks like a checker cab and the fact it can fit 3-4 minifigs is very impressive.

Forgive me for reanimating an old thread, but is this something you offer plans for? I'm looking for a taxi to go with my Ghostbusters HQ set (Taxi Driver and no Taxi) and this set fits well. Thanks!

Sorry, I somehow missed this, and since it's your only post on EB you maybe won't even read my answer. Anyhow, no, sorry, there are no instructions of the Checker cab.

Fantastic build - I love it :)

Thank you. Again, sorry for the late reply.

This is a great Checker Cab. I'm building the Ghostbuster Firehouse now and wanted to build a cab to put the driver in just like the movie, just need a yuppie to have as his fare. Do you have an LDD of this or other instructions, I would love to be able to add this to the firehouse set and make it stand out. If not no worries and again you did a fabulous job on the build, it really looks like a checker cab and the fact it can fit 3-4 minifigs is very impressive.

Thank you, glad you like it! Sorry, there are no instructions and it would take a lot of time to make them since I'm not very good at LDD.

@all: I'd like to encourage you to build your own models by looking at MOCs you like and try to figure out how they're built rather than using instructions. Even if you won't be able to identify every technique or detail from the beginning, there absolutely is a learning curve, and your models will get better over time.

Edited by ER0L