Inconspicuous

Toothless from "How to Train Your Dragon"

After a long building hiatus, I've finally had a chance to hit the bricks!

Even though I never saw the movie in theaters, I have become a big fan of "How to Train Your Dragon" over the last year (largely due to John Powell's superb soundtrack, but no need to talk about that here). In anticipation of the sequel which will be released this summer, I decided to take on the challenge of building an accurate minifig-scale Toothless. Here are the results!

Front View:

11826880664_e38f0caf76.jpg

Hiccup and Toothless in Lego form! Toothless' ears, legs, wings, and tail can all be adjusted. His mouth can open too, but it's not an intentional feature.

Side View:

11826878984_fbf76caff5.jpg

One difficulty with building a fairly small and specific dragon is its stability. To keep both dragon and rider in place, I used two rubber bands. The lower rubber band keeps Hiccup's torso in place while the upper rubber band keeps Toothless' head upright.

Close-up:

11826458395_06ccd18763.jpg

When building, I first started with Toothless' head, which proved to be the most difficult part. I wanted to recreate the unique shape of his head, while still incorporating his reptilian eyes and expressive ear-flaps. Even if it's not perfect, I'm definitely pleased with the result! As a fortunate coincidence, Hiccup's pedals align perfectly with Toothless' legs, which is movie-accurate.

Flying Mode:

11826458975_d532ce414d.jpg

The wings I used in the first few photos were much more easy to position, but were too small compared to Toothless' actual wing size. Thus, I made it possible to switch them out for a pair of Dino Attack wings for a more accurate flying mode.

For a few more pictures and higher resolution versions of the photos here, check out the Flickr set. I would be delighted to hear your feedback, seeing as my rendition is far from perfect.

Thanks for looking!

Inky

Wow this is really impressive!

I think you've managed to capture the shape excellently at minifig scale :sweet:

Also, I'm curious as to the pieces you used for toothless' head - I'm not sure I recognise them, what are they from?

Wow! Great moc! I love the reptilian eyes! :classic:

Wow this is really impressive!

I think you've managed to capture the shape excellently at minifig scale :sweet:

Thank you very much!

Also, I'm curious as to the pieces you used for toothless' head - I'm not sure I recognise them, what are they from?

The piece is called "Wedge 4x3 Cut Back with Cutout, 2 Studs." It's most commonly found in Racers sets. It's odd that I have two, because I can't remember buying a Racers set in my life!

It's really remarkable, you can easily tell at a glance exactly what it is, which is a great hallmark for a moc especially of a fantasy creature. i am thinking about building one myself!

He might be a touch too small, to my unresearched eye, but overall that is really sweet!

Wonderful little MOC.

It's also making me think what an amazing license that would be for TLG. They have those new mini ball and sockets and seem to be getting better and better at organic critters. Plus Vikings, Dragons, Ships, Viking buildings, and tie ins to two movies and 2 TV shows. That might be interesting.

For a few more pictures and higher resolution versions of the photos here, check out the Flickr set. I would be delighted to hear your feedback, seeing as my rendition is far from perfect.

As for the head, I think you did a pretty good job in capturing Toothless' original "sweetness". I wonder if it's in any way possible to make the eyes in such a way that black and white are combined as to create pupils, but I suppose you have already given a greater deal of thought to this issue than I did :)

Edited by Brickadeer