Some says lego PF are made in China since it was developed......lego quality has been nerfed.

Kind of makes sense ... since those PF parts require more intensive manual labor, and hence the low cost workforce in China.

Edited by DrJB

Maybe that's why some motors like the servo were delayed for so long. They were made in China, and China was angry at Denmark/USA for something :laugh:

Maybe that's why some motors like the servo were delayed for so long. They were made in China, and China was angry at Denmark/USA for something :laugh:

Could be their suppliers not making the motor internals to specs or cutting corners. China can make quality things if you are willing to pay them for that level of quality and keep an eye on them closely.

As far as I know, the only parts made in China are the ones that involve any sort of electronics. Actual Lego Technic parts like beams and axles, wheels and tires, etc are made in Europe.

So i got an answer from lego:

Dear Alex,

Thanks for getting in touch with us.

It’s great that you’ve taken the time to find out more about where LEGO® toys are made.

The LEGO Group’s own production sites are located in Denmark, the Czech Republic, Hungary and Mexico because we want to stay close to our fans and avoid long supply times. In addition, around 8% of the parts for our construction toys come from carefully selected partners in China. These include a smaller portion of our LEGO and DUPLO® pieces as well as most of our electronic and textile parts.

No matter where our toys are made, they must live up to our founder’s motto, “Only the best is good enough.” Quality has always been our focus, and it always will be.

We take our responsibility for fair working conditions, for the environment and for toy safety very seriously. Before we accept a new supplier, we audit them to make sure they follow our standards of operating and traceability. All our suppliers, including those in China, must keep to our strict Code of Conduct (= http://aboutus.lego.com/en-gb/lego-group/code-of-conduct/) and meet the same high quality standards we have in our own factories. We even have a special Global Quality Assurance Department in Hong Kong and Shenzhen, China whose only task is to secure safe, high quality products and good working conditions.

We work really hard to make sure children can play safely and enjoy our products – it’s the most important thing for us. That’s why all LEGO toys are tested by independent laboratories and meet or exceed all toy safety laws in the 130 countries where they are sold.

Thanks again for getting in touch. We're always pleased to receive feedback! If you could take a moment to complete a four question survey by going to the link below, it will help us make sure we are providing the best customer service to you.

LEGO Survey link

Please let us know if you need anything else.

Kind regards,

Gudren

LEGO Service

Seems like a usual premade message..

I was just about to say that most of that sounded like a copy-paste job.

That said, it would explain why sets that contain PF and winches (unimog, recovery truck) might bear a Made in China mark?

Well sure it's a pre-made message, I would expect that. I just hope it's the truth. Thanks Nicjasno.

Edited by allanp

It did put me a bit more at ease. My plans for 2014 to develop 2 models that i'd like to pitch to them thus will continue :)

Most of the chinese production is subpar in quality terms but not all of it, so "Made in china" is not neccessarily a bad thing.

However I reckon that chinese bussiness culture makes it hard to achieve HQ and requires an extra effort in QC/surveillance of Lego partners by TLC.

As long as quality remains the same, which is possible, I see no reason to worry.

Most of the chinese production is subpar in quality terms but not all of it, so "Made in china" is not neccessarily a bad thing ...

True, all iPads/iPhones/... are made in China. Thus, top quality is expected, but TLG needs to keep a tight lid on not only quality but also 'leaked/stolen' designs ... and China is home to many clone/counterfeit brands.

China can make quality things if you are willing to pay them for that level of quality and keep an eye on them closely.

That's the reality everywhere, right? You get what you pay for :blush: