Thanks for the reply, Bob De Quatre! I should have clarified that I'm interested in complex or unusual functions that may be challenging to build.

Edited by sheo

I agree these are simple and usual functions, but they give life to a ship! I you want more complex functions, I think there should be some transformation or at least deployment like big weapons, or communication devices. For example, take a look at how the battlestar Galactica extends its launch/landing areas.

I agree that even simple functions are important, and I'll try to include as many of them as I can. I guess I just need to make them work in some sophisticated way. Special thanks for reminding me about BSG!

So I have a question, what is the best why to start building a motor cycle? Specificly how to attach/build around the wheels, I'm thinking maybe build the body first then worry about the wheels?

I am asking for your help to design a smallish head for this little mech, it turned out pretty well but I am not satisfied with the head, I need it to be around 2x2x2 studs and 1.5 or so, a minifig head gear hat or helmet fits just fine for the scale but it doesn't fit with the stile I am looking for, I would like it to be either a single "eye" or something that resembles the face of the classical optimus prime, any ideas?

20363235088_a4b33f62ed.jpgP1010022 by Nom Carver, en Flickr

20557711541_cb9e97c1f7.jpgP1010036 by Nom Carver, en Flickr

20542344382_38df8aa95c.jpgP1010043 by Nom Carver, en Flickr

20524972166_c9a3608232.jpgP1010061 by Nom Carver, en Flickr

The body is very posable and mixing some interesting colors will make it look great, I think that those new smallish ball joint bricks would make marvels for it alongside some clip hinges, meanwhile this is just the prototype, I hope you like it and would use some advice regarding to the head, so please comment.

So I'm (sort of) working on a project, and since I wasn't exactly around for some of these space themes, I figured I'd mine some knowledge here.

This is a slightly different type of project, and right now I'm just tossing ideas around. I make brickfilms. I have done so for almost nine years now. One film I've been planning on making for a while is Ice Planet 2002. Potentially, this one could connect with other future Lego space films.

So far what I have is somehow, the Ice Planet characters find themselves stranded and alone on Krysto, an ocean planet so cold, the oceans are solid ice. Among various incidents and peril the characters are put in, they launch satellites, setting out beacons in hopes of rescue. Now, for the finale, I will have one of the beacons intercepted, in the middle of a massive space battle.

Now, what I'm having trouble deciding is should the battle be between Spyrius and Unitron, or Space Police II and Blacktron II?

So far what I have is somehow, the Ice Planet characters find themselves stranded and alone on Krysto, an ocean planet so cold, the oceans are solid ice. Among various incidents and peril the characters are put in, they launch satellites, setting out beacons in hopes of rescue.

Love this concept, I'd like to see the change from a lush moist planet to one that's cold solid. :sweet:

Hi, I've started on a four-legged mech and I'm at that point where I kind of like how it looks, but I want to make it bigger and add more detail. Conceptually, it's a four-legged weapons platform painted for desert operations. I'm missing a cockpit, additional weapons and maybe better legs, but I don't know where to go yet. Any help/tips would be appreciated. :)

wgDy3i7.jpg

sjtpVxQ.jpg

Looks like a solid start kyreii! I think you should attach many smaller missiles to the 2 yellow pieces, so it packs a punch :) Put some greebling and armor around the legs, and you're set!

I got one of these windscreens in a lot and I was annoyed to see that Lego never used it for a sealed cockpit in an official set, so I set myself the challenge of doing it.

I came up with this cockpit design:

26962758371_93dc1b7813.jpg

26936915182_82ea2da947.jpg

26962759501_7fac5bd23d.jpg

Now I just need to come up with a ship to go with it. I tried building a mobile science lab for the back end but it ended up looking like a moving van…

Hey everyone! I've recently started a MoC on LDD that I eventually want to build in lego form. Currently I'm having problems with building a frame for the ship, it's my first MoC so I'm quite inexperienced with these things. There is also one massive problem I'm currently having with a diagonal triangular panel that sits between the engine and the sort of side/wing plate. Any help would be appreciated. Intended length of the ship is roughly around 70cm, I've not done much planning as there is very little info on the ship.

27164053803_282478f9b0_z.jpg

Edited by Awkwardfryingpan

Hey everyone! I've recently started a MoC on LDD that I eventually want to build in lego form. Currently I'm having problems with building a frame for the ship, it's my first MoC so I'm quite inexperienced with these things. There is also one massive problem I'm currently having with a diagonal triangular panel that sits between the engine and the sort of side/wing plate. Any help would be appreciated. Intended length of the ship is roughly around 70cm, I've not done much planning as there is very little info on the ship.

You might find this article I wrote useful: http://swooshable.co...-lego-spaceship. That rear diagonal panel looks like it could be done with 45 degree slopes or plates.

Was hoping to get some ideas for the wings on this, I think they're too fat and also wanted to shorten them by at least 1 stud.

Here's the Stud.io file if you want to tinker with it http://www.mediafire.com/file/82ern0eyv3cvacj/ME_fighter.io

The wingtips need to have a section 2 studs wide that angles upward, that plow piece worked great but attaching it made everything look so bulky.

pYPYEx1.jpg

Here's the simple and sturdy solution I came up with to keep the engines at an angle.

NyG0dPq.jpg

Here's the reference I'm using. I'm not worried about 100% accuracy, it's just the wings that are bugging me. Help! lol

Wr1Tm2K.jpg

Edited by Henchmen4Hire
Added stud.io file

If you aren't aware yet, there's a mech contest at Rebrick. As with any Rebrick contest, it's 90% kids/crap, 10% great stuff, and this one being about mechs, I'm pretty sure it's gonna be huge, so go check it out.

https://www.lego.com/en-us/rebrick/contest-page/contests/nexo-knights

Anyway, I had "quickly" Nexo-themed an old mech of mine, and decided to continue improving it in a buildable version (thus, not Nexo-looking anymore, which isn't a bad thing).

I wasn't sure it would balance, and yes it does (holy Mixel joints)!
I probably won't get all the parts from Lego before the deadline (especially when they don't wanna sell the new ones), but it doesn't matter anyway, this one has something in-between its legs that Rebrick wouldn't like :)
(Loki's helmet would also probably get it rejected)

Nexonome.jpg

Edited by anothergol

Hiya! Well, I was at a friend's house recently, and she has a decent collection of old LEGO sets. Barely any are from this century, aside from some bips and bobs from Harry Potter and Orient Expedition, from what I could recognize she's got stuff from Forest Men, old Town, a lil' bit from Classic Space, Futron, and what inspired me most of all... Blacktron! I think the pieces are from the Invader, Alienator, and I believe the Battrax. I tested myself to make something of the pieces I scavenged from her collection, and here's what I made!

Spoiler
Blacktron Gunship: LEGO WIP

Spoiler
Blacktron Gunship WIP II

Spoiler
Blacktron Gunship WIP: Top-Down

Spoiler
Blacktron Gunship WIP: Side view

This is a Blacktron Gunship, half-finished : /. I'm gonna finish this puppy in LDD, as much as I'll miss those epic printed pieces. I'd love suggestions, but here's the kicker... I want to update this using only pieces circa 1990. I'm thinking of adding turret/scout ships that detach, to better emulate the original ship designs. Any thoughts? 

I've spent a couple of days coming up with a new design idea for a large frigate / cruiser with some classic space themes built around it. It's not going that well tbh, but I am trying out some interesting concepts based on what I've seen here and on the internet in general. I was particularly interested in continuing a modular theme, and just from a few hours of tinkering came up with this:

wip01.jpg

It's not much, but I think it has great potential for either a fuselage or even engines. Although not fully visable from the above image, there is the ability to create linking technic arms so that they can be easily linked/detachable, like this:

wip02.jpg

Edited by Scene
Additional image

Hi everyone,

I haven't posted much, but I've been lurking for a while.
I'm looking for feedback on some displays/dioramas that I've worked on. I tried making an Explorien (ish) hangar bay, and before that, I had what was basically just a hallway scene. The earlier one, even though it wasn't as fancy, seemed to work better, and I'm trying to figure out why.

Here's the earlier one:

These%20are%20not%20the%20droids%20you'r

and here's the later one: (not all of it is mine, I did use part of an official Explorien set, and the Exo-Suit turtle made an appearance, too) 

2nd%20Explorien%20Bay%20with%20a%20borro

That pic really wasn't the best - it's blurrier than I remembered. It was basically a matter of getting in some shots to show what I'd figured out up to that point before taking it apart to start over.

I have a couple more pics at Rebrickable. 

I liked the detailing I put into the walls on the second one, and it was fun to put together the transparent blue panels with the transparent neon-green pieces behind them. But did the other colors end up too busy? Also - I really wanted to have the split-level look with the second one, but it didn't work out well. The shadows bug me, and I don't know if those are usually dealt with in post-production, if I should've done something different with my lighting, or if I should've avoided having the 'balcony' type setup.

There's a lot I could bring up here, but I'll wait to see where the discussion goes - thanks in advance.

@Duvors - Thank you! 

Do you think the second one would look good with less black - more of a pin-striping kind of look, instead of big panels?

I think it looks good as it is, too much white would give it a washed-out appearance that would make the details hard to see.

NCS hangar bays, etc., tend to be a lot of grey, with an accent color here and there - for some reason, that works better than big blocks of white.

Thanks for your feedback - I'll keep it in mind for the next couple of projects I'm working on.

On 6/21/2021 at 7:47 PM, Stepwise said:

I liked the detailing I put into the walls on the second one, and it was fun to put together the transparent blue panels with the transparent neon-green pieces behind them. But did the other colors end up too busy? Also - I really wanted to have the split-level look with the second one, but it didn't work out well. The shadows bug me, and I don't know if those are usually dealt with in post-production, if I should've done something different with my lighting, or if I should've avoided having the 'balcony' type setup.

I love the designs here. I don't think the balcony idea is bad, but I feel like maybe if you used a guide rail instead of a wall on the near side of the balcony it might feel more hangar-like. If you took a slight overhead shot of the balcony and maybe had a bit more of an angle looking down on it it may look nicer; from this perspective it's hard to tell how big that balcony is, and that might be throwing you off