Here's another WIP that I'm stuck on. I like the front end & bridge enough that I don't want to scrap it. The idea for this was that it's an old freighter converted to an anti-frigate destroyer. Thus, it should look bulky and tough. I'm unsure of where to go next on the rear end / propulsion. Any thoughts?

EDIT :

Here's the original and now an update. Let me know what you think could be improved.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/steebles1908/sets/72157632648856063/

Edited by Steebles1908

The wings look off for me. There's some nice angles in the front and near the end and the back. But then the wing is so blocky and square.... maybe try using some of those trapezoid wings to augment the square wing? or maybe stick some plate under that wing?

hi guys... i actually started experimenting with space shib building after seeing this on flickr:

8177501550_468f7e5761_z.jpg

i just took this as a starting point to get my hands on spaceship building and get some training... but i'm already stuck :S

as i can see from the picture the large sideparts of teh ship are made from slopes that are on thei side and connected in the middle (where the satellite dishes are)... i was trying yesterday eveneing (with this part http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItem.asp?P=4733) on how to achieve this but couldn't get my head around that (i'll try to post some pictures of my attempt this evening) but anyway....

does anyone have ANY advice on how to connect the two sides without ending up with a gap in the middle. i'll be very thankfull ;)

Here's another WIP that I'm stuck on. I like the front end & bridge enough that I don't want to scrap it. The idea for this was that it's an old freighter converted to an anti-frigate destroyer. Thus, it should look bulky and tough. I'm unsure of where to go next on the rear end / propulsion. Any thoughts?

EDIT :

Here's the original and now an update. Let me know what you think could be improved.

I would suggest that unless those claws to the sides are guns, you clip something on them like a sign piece, or just replace them entirely. They're a bit of an eyesore. :sceptic:

thanks steebles... not sure if i have one of those (damn) but why should it work wit this big brick and not the one i have (which looks the same but smaller !!??)

Smaller how? It's a 1x4? The 2x4 should serve the same function but make it easier to attach the 2 wide top portion of the referenced build.

Hey guys!

WIP here - (please ignore the colors as I only used the bricks handiest to me while putting this together.) Will work on colors later after a Bricklink order.

• I am working on this Terror Bird mech but I am having a bit of trouble with the build, especially the wings (I am thinking about reducing their size)
  • If you don't mind, could any of you offer up any suggestions for better looking wings? Or suggestions for anything else you might think needs addressing...
  • Any one like the idea of the cannon in the tail section?

Thanks! :classic:

rongYIREN

I posted the final MOC over in the Terror Bird Mech thread

Thanks for all of your help guys! I really appreciate it! :sweet:

Edited by rongYIREN

Wow that bird already looks pretty great.

Though the wings seem small for the size of the bird... I would almost consider double up the length, and more layering (assuming you can get more wings)

And maybe some wings behind the head?

My other thought is maybe beef up the lower legs just slightly... the upper leg is really good, but the lower bit seems a bit scrawny.

Really great build though - even in WIP stage :thumbup:

Wow that bird already looks pretty great.

Though the wings seem small for the size of the bird... I would almost consider double up the length, and more layering (assuming you can get more wings)

And maybe some wings behind the head?

My other thought is maybe beef up the lower legs just slightly... the upper leg is really good, but the lower bit seems a bit scrawny.

Really great build though - even in WIP stage :thumbup:

Hey thanks for the feedback...

As for the wings, the Terror Birds actually have wings much smaller than depicted here on the MOC. Think of how the T-Rex has those tiny almost useless arms and then you'll understand what kind of wings the Terror Bird has. A few pics of Terror birds here and here.

Currently, I am making the wings smaller and trying to use these curved slopes as feathers. However, with the wing arm being so small and still needing to bend at the elbow, it's difficult to get the feathers to look properly when the arm does bend.

I will beef up his calves a little but not too much - they need to stay slimmest part of the leg.

what do you think of the cannon in the tail? I am thinking of doing away with it.

Anyway, thanks a lot for your feedback - I appreciate it.

Edited by rongYIREN

@ rongYIREN: The tail cannon makes me think of what seagulls do while flying, so it should go. The ball joint should stay and give it a fanned tail. Try using these: http://www.bricklink...tem.asp?P=92692 (at least three) and with a bunch of these: http://www.bricklink...tem.asp?P=59229 with these: http://www.bricklink...tem.asp?P=48729 as connecters. The red ones can look like feathers. They might work for your wings as well.

This is the kind of arrangement I was thinking of.

8437226520_37d81ed26d.jpg

Fanned Tail idea by gedren_y, on Flickr

Edited by gedren_y

@ rongYIREN: The tail cannon makes me think of what seagulls do while flying, so it should go. The ball joint should stay and give it a fanned tail. Try using these: http://www.bricklink...tem.asp?P=92692 (at least three) and with a bunch of these: http://www.bricklink...tem.asp?P=59229 with these: http://www.bricklink...tem.asp?P=48729 as connecters. The red ones can look like feathers. They might work for your wings as well.

This is the kind of arrangement I was thinking of.

8437226520_37d81ed26d.jpg

Fanned Tail idea by gedren_y, on Flickr

Ha ha, OK, the butt cannon is gone. Thanks for the idea on the wings and tail. I actually do not have but a few of the "feather" pieces so I was not able to try out your technique. I did, however, go in a similar direction using curved slopes as you can see in the revised entry above.

@rongYIREN: I'm glad you're happy with the result. These birds are runners and this makes it look fierce. Nice fix.

I kinda agree, the first set of wings were better... BUT can you combine the two? The curve slopes leading up into the feathers?

To be honest I really liked the first wings

I kinda agree, the first set of wings were better... BUT can you combine the two? The curve slopes leading up into the feathers?

Thanks for the comments guys,

About the wings, the first ones were just way too big for this kind of bird. And as you can see in the new pic I completely got rid of those Chima wings altogether. As for combining the Chima wings with the curved slopes, I just don't think it would transition well between the two very different shapes. Maybe on a much larger scale it could work to better effect but not with such small wings and I have decided to keep the wings small. With the larger wings it seems as though it was moving more towards a phoenix rather than a Terror Bird. I do really appreciate your feedback. Even though I may not have used your ideas they did help me move in a direction that I am much happier with. :sweet:

@rongYIREN: I'm glad you're happy with the result. These birds are runners and this makes it look fierce. Nice fix.

Thanks! I did change up the design a bit more and gave it an "engine" to make it look like it can actually do some running. Thanks for your feedback, much appreciated.

Agent orange - WIP....

i'm actually building my first spaceship and i'm going after a certain llok for hte boosters, but i cannot figure out how to connect the boosters with the rest of the spaceship:

boosters:

8460210551_f47c915b62_z.jpg

and the back of the ship:

8461308186_d708625158_z.jpg

8460207337_46b5c51996_z.jpg

any ideas GREATLY appreciated !!! :)

The back of a headlight brick might work, or a Technic brick, 1x2 with pin hole? Or a few clip pieces to hold on to the lightsaber hilts. Unless that was supposed to be on the other side of the boosters, which side do you want facing out?

Ahhh the traditional shuttle exhaust configuration :wub:

Headlight bricks would definitely work. You could also use technic bricks to join the engines :wink:

I think the key won't be how you connect them but what you build around them. You have some nice sloping. I would suggest the sloping extends to cover up the connection area so just the back of the boasters are showing :thumbup:

thanks for the replies guys..... i did actually fiddle around with some parts and figured a way to connect them using this: http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItem.asp?P=44728

and si-mocs is right... the key is: WHAT THE HELL AM I BUILDING AROUND THAT ;) hehe... aaaaaand now im actually stuck on that.... but as soon as i have some spare time i'll try to figure something out.

@Steebles1908: Promising. My only nit-pick is that the tanks, or more accurately their valve, should be reachable by a minifig scientist.