sin

Bricklinking Modular Buildings

I didn't hate BLing CC and GG, but I didn't love it either - those skis were a pain to get! But, I am trilled with the finished products!

Thanks to this and similar threads I started with bricklinking a Green Grocer. I sourced around 600 parts from my collection and after some bricklings order I have 1342 parts left to buy.

My goal from the beginning was to build a really faithful GG with only a few subsitutions that don't impact the aesthetics of the building too much.

My subsitutions:

- Sand green bricks 1x8 with a combination of 1x2,1x4 and 1x6 bricks

- Train windows with modern 1x2x3 windows with glass

- Sand green hinge bases with DBG ones

- 2x 16x32 baseplates with one 32x32

-Panel 1x2x2, Doorframes 1x4x6 with modern molds

I won't buy the minifigs, because I have already tons of minifigs to populate my modular street. Also I'm getting the old versions of the tan arch 1x6, which are strangely very expensive in new condition. Luckily I got a like new looking used one already, still looking for another good looking used arch.

Most headdaches give me the prices of the sand green modified 1x2 bricks with groove, still have 11 left to buy. The price for these bricks seems to go up even further, as the supply of new condition ones dries up.

Do you guys think the prices of the grooved bricks will make a faithfully bricklinked Green Grocer financially unviable compared to a used real one in the future?

Edited by JetBlackSVW

^ I too have been looking at the parts list for GG, and was wondering about the 4 white train windows used in the bay window. They are only used in the GG so rare and super expensive. To me, it seems like a huge waste of money to buy them to build it. They are installed inside out too, so the uniqueness of their shape barely shows on the outside. Wouldn't regular windows work and look just as well?

Edited by talos

^ I too have been looking at the parts list for GG, and was wondering about the 4 white train windows used in the bay window. They are only used in the GG so rare and super expensive. To me, it seems like a huge waste of money to buy them to build it. They are installed inside out too, so the uniqueness of their shape barely shows on the outside. Wouldn't regular windows work and look just as well?

Imho, regular windows look even better.

They only used the train windows because the regular 3 high windows didn't exist when Green Grocer originally came out. They are installed inside out to hide the unique train-window shape. Using regular windows also allows you to put glass in, which looks a lot better.

I used the 1x3x2 windows with pane instead of the train windows. Looks much better actually.

What's the part number for the 1x3x2 window?

Element ID 4536521- Design ID 60593 - it may or may not have a new element ID

I didn't hate BLing CC and GG, but I didn't love it either - those skis were a pain to get! But, I am trilled with the finished products!

I think that sums it up for me, I thought I would love it, although I didnt hate it. But man that spreadsheet... I also got fustrated with Bricklink. If I buy stuff from my wanted list, it would be nice if it removed it from the list for me. I over ordered massively it seems.

You will think differently once you build it and stand in awe of your achievement. It can be frustrating at times to secure the parts but the end process for me made it worth it. I enjoyed it. I've been thinking about building 8404 transit set in the future.

You're right it looks great, and so strange to see a model I have only seen in pictures, now standing on my shelf. I am about to bricklink my own MOC, somehow the thought of BL'ing something more unique appealls to me.

My subsitutions:

- Sand green bricks 1x8 with a combination of 1x2,1x4 and 1x6 bricks

- Train windows with modern 1x2x3 windows with glass

- Sand green hinge bases with DBG ones

- 2x 16x32 baseplates with one 32x32

- Panel 1x2x2, Doorframes 1x4x6 with modern molds

I made the same subs apart from the 1x2's and 1x6'sbricks. I went with 1x4's and it was a mistake in my opinion. The 1x2, 1x6 combination offers better structural intergrity. Good luck with yours!

I recently tried an experiment of replacing the Sand Green Modified 1x2's with the new masonry profile brick on the Green Grocer. Here is a link to the Flikr album:

https://www.flickr.c...57650704148036/

My thoughts:

I'm a HUGE fan of the masonry profile brick. I think that is why I like the new Detective's Office so much even though I'm admittedly not much of a Modular guy. That being said... I'm not sure how I feel about them on the grocer. My biggest issue is that it has a run of 1x1s on the left hand side. The smooth finish of the 1x1s sticks out like a sore thumb and kind of breaks 'masonry' effect. It it wasn't for that I think I would love it. The two runs on the sides of the bay look great though. While building it I kept thinking that it may look better to leave the modified 1x2s on the Grocery side, but replace the ones on the bay side with masonry of a different color.

What do you think?

Edited by CircleK

I recently tried an experiment of replacing the Sand Green Modified 1x2's with the new masonry profile brick on the Green Grocer. Here is a link to the Flikr album:

What do you think?

Thanks for sharing this, I've been curious how GG would look with the masonry bricks. The bay window looks great, but I agree that the 1x1's stick out. One thought I have is that you could move the left window over a stud and then the plain stack of 1x1's could be between the windows, right in the middle of the building. The resulting symmetry would make the plain bricks are there on purpose rather than out of necessity.

Yup, I like it too. Shame there aren't any 1x1 masonry bricks. Out of interest what was the cost of these vs the modified 1x2's?

Yup, I like it too. Shame there aren't any 1x1 masonry bricks. Out of interest what was the cost of these vs the modified 1x2's?

Bricks N Pieces are currently out of the Sand Green Masonry bricks, so I purchased them from Bricklink for around .40 cents a piece. I have a feeling that is a little less than double of what they will go for on BnP when they are back in stock. I expect BnP will probably have them for around .22 cents a piece.

The Modified 1x2's are closer to the $3.00 mark per piece for new on Bricklink. So, it's a substantial difference. You also don't need a full 56 of them (just like you don't need a full 56 of the Modifieds). I think I counted somewhere around 7 to 8 bricks where a standard 1x2 would suffice since the decoration is not visible. In the case with the masonry bricks, you wouldn't want to use them where you need a flat 1x2 surface since they have a horizontal ridge on the reverse side.

Edited by CircleK

I have just started on level 2 of the Cafe Corner that I brick linked, and the pdf instructions are really hard to make out with the dark colours. Trying to find alternative instructions but looks like only the official lego .pdf can be found.

Any tips?

The parts needed box at the beginning of each stage gives the part numbers, you can put those into Brickset and it will give you the colours, bit round about but it works

Bricks N Pieces are currently out of the Sand Green Masonry bricks, so I purchased them from Bricklink for around .40 cents a piece. I have a feeling that is a little less than double of what they will go for on BnP when they are back in stock. I expect BnP will probably have them for around .22 cents a piece.

The Modified 1x2's are closer to the $3.00 mark per piece for new on Bricklink. So, it's a substantial difference. You also don't need a full 56 of them (just like you don't need a full 56 of the Modifieds). I think I counted somewhere around 7 to 8 bricks where a standard 1x2 would suffice since the decoration is not visible. In the case with the masonry bricks, you wouldn't want to use them where you need a flat 1x2 surface since they have a horizontal ridge on the reverse side.

So far, the sand green 1x2 grooved bricks do appear to be the crux of assembling a GG. I could always substitute other sand green bricks for the 1x8's, there are only a few of the white train windows, and a few other assorted rare parts that are not needed in a high quantity. I noticed on Bricklink when the price of the grooved bricks gets closer to $2.00 per brick, they do not last long. Then, you have some sellers who will only sell them to you if you buy all 56 at one time. I only have six left to get, and then it is time to move on to other pieces. I would definitely suggest to anyone who wants to bricklink their own GG to start with the rares and if you are trying to remain true to the original design, be mindful of those 56 sand green grooved bricks.

Been awhile since I have posted but just would like to say I have begun buying parts again on Bricklink for my GG and picked up a little of MS while I was at it. I started gathering parts for my GG 3 years ago and I am finally going to have it completed this week when the remaining 6 pieces that I thought I had but found they were not in my inventory of parts. Though between 3 years from the start and 3 moves and loss of just a few parts that I thought I had isn't too bad. I have a YouTube channel and I will post a video of about 1-2 minutes of my build and what changes I did since some parts were not cheap or a pain in the but to find. Now that I will have the GG this will give me 7/10 of the Modulars, I am now only missing CC, MS and PC. I do have 300-400 for CC and 300-400 for MS and was going to purchase the PC when I picked up the DO but the wife persuaded me not too saying it was fugly. I am sure over time I will be getting the PC in time but just not at the moment. What I really will be focusing my time on will be the MS first since it requires fewer parts and then the CC, then hope by then the PC hasn't been discontinued. I just have no desire in Bricklinking another building once GG, CC and MS are completed.

Been awhile since I have posted but just would like to say I have begun buying parts again on Bricklink for my GG and picked up a little of MS while I was at it. I started gathering parts for my GG 3 years ago and I am finally going to have it completed this week when the remaining 6 pieces that I thought I had but found they were not in my inventory of parts. Though between 3 years from the start and 3 moves and loss of just a few parts that I thought I had isn't too bad. I have a YouTube channel and I will post a video of about 1-2 minutes of my build and what changes I did since some parts were not cheap or a pain in the but to find. Now that I will have the GG this will give me 7/10 of the Modulars, I am now only missing CC, MS and PC. I do have 300-400 for CC and 300-400 for MS and was going to purchase the PC when I picked up the DO but the wife persuaded me not too saying it was fugly. I am sure over time I will be getting the PC in time but just not at the moment. What I really will be focusing my time on will be the MS first since it requires fewer parts and then the CC, then hope by then the PC hasn't been discontinued. I just have no desire in Bricklinking another building once GG, CC and MS are completed.

Congrats. What did the price on the BLinked GG work out to if you don't mind my asking?

Also believe it or not the Bricklinking gets easier if instead of doing it for the retired sets you opt for something like third part instructions such as those from Brickcitydepot Depot or our own Krystal. I particularly like the Pharmacy that the BCD guys published in their Lego Neighborhood Book. Of Krystal's stuff it does not get much better than her Tan Townhouse. You will find you are not hunting down quite so many rare and expensive parts.

I would definitely suggest to anyone who wants to bricklink their own GG to start with the rares and if you are trying to remain true to the original design, be mindful of those 56 sand green grooved bricks.

Yes, I agree. I have only 11 left and want to pay less than 2 euros per piece. Eventually they will pop up at that price, but I have to check my email inbox often.

http://shop.lego.com...Listing=listing

Looks like this upcoming Elves set will have a couple of 1x2x3 Dark Red slopes. Yay for those trying to assemble the CC.

It's nice that they keep putting these pieces in sets, but that piece was already available in the Pet Shop also. It is good evidence that it will remain in production for a while though.

Regarding the train windows, I bought 8 of them when I bought mine, as they were coming from quite a long way away, so I thought I might as well make it worth it.

I still have four of them unused...