sin

Bricklinking Modular Buildings

^Nicely done. Congratulations on being complete. I think those substitutions are necessary to be able to maintain any financial holding. You'll go broke otherwise!

I luckily had a lot of pieces laying around to build the majority of CC and GG, so my actual financial contribution was relatively low.

I made a huge order for sand green bricks for this set, but then I decided to switch to sand blue. I'm much happier with the result, but now I have all of these extra sand green bricks.

^Nicely done. Congratulations on being complete. I think those substitutions are necessary to be able to maintain any financial holding. You'll go broke otherwise!

I luckily had a lot of pieces laying around to build the majority of CC and GG, so my actual financial contribution was relatively low.

I made a huge order for sand green bricks for this set, but then I decided to switch to sand blue. I'm much happier with the result, but now I have all of these extra sand green bricks.

Thanks! I saw your sand blue grocer somewhere in this thread. I guess Lego just happened to use sand green. We could have official blue grocer instead.

Out of the bricks I already have, I only use my extras from all over 100 sets I own, you know, the 1x1 plates, 1x1 bricks, ... To my surprise, I manage to grab tiny pieces worth nearly 30 dollars out of them. I am still at the stage that keeping all the sets intact, but I can see someday I may dissemble all of them to do MOC.

Actually that wasn't my Sand Blue Grocer that someone posted. That inspired me to create my own. My version definitely looks different than theirs though. I need to take pictures of mine, but I will post it here so you (everyone) can see how it looks in an alternate color.

I'm sure they used Sand Green at that time because it was(is) a rarer color and sand blue was few and far between at that stage of modular building.

And it's a good idea to keep sets together if that is what you are interested in. I have very few sets assembled, so it wasn't a big deal for me to take a lot of the spare parts i had in my stock already. It does save extra ordering in the long run. And in my case, I won't be putting those original sets back together anytime soon, with the possible exception of a few. I don't know where I took all of my pieces from, so there may be some sets I go to rebuild and have to re-order the few pieces for, but I'll cross that bridge when I get there.

Just placed my last bricklink order for a Green Grocer. Now I just have to wait for all the shipments to come in :sweet:

This is actually the 2nd time I have bricklinked the Grocer. I went through this exact same process a little over a year ago. Man, what a difference one year can make... I was actually shocked to see how much more expensive (and scarce) some of the rare parts have become. I don't even want to discuss what I paid for the 1x2 Sand Greens with Groove - Ouch! The limited availability of certain parts also resulted in a few more orders than last time and I had to turn to eBay for one of the minifigures.

My last Green Grocer was built to spec with the exception of the Sand Green 1x8s (I used 1x4s instead). I made a few more substitutions this time however based on the suggestions found in this thread:

• Replaced the blue awning bows with dark red (I think this actually looks much better and I like that it will now be a different color than the one on the Pet Shop).
  • Replaced the train windows with the regular 1 x 2 x 3 with pain (This is another improvement imo)
  • Replaced the sand green hinge with light grey since it doesn't matter visually anyways.
  • And of course - the dreaded sand green 1x8s. I used the suggestions on this thread and went with a combo of 1x2(25), 1x6(25), and 1x4(50)

If happen across a decent deal on the blue bows or train windows someday then I will probably get them just so I can keep my model as true to the original as possible, but I'm also ok with the substitutions made and think it will actually look better in the end.

Edited by CircleK

Just placed my last bricklink order for a Green Grocer. Now I just have to wait for all the shipments to come in :sweet:

This is actually the 2nd time I have bricklinked the Grocer. I went through this exact same process a little over a year ago. Man, what a difference one year can make... I was actually shocked to see how much more expensive (and scarce) some of the rare parts have become. I don't even want to discuss what I paid for the 1x2 Sand Greens with Groove - Ouch! The limited availability of certain parts also resulted in a few more orders than last time and I had to turn to eBay for one of the minifigures.

My last Green Grocer was built to spec with the exception of the Sand Green 1x8s (I used 1x4s instead). I made a few more substitutions this time however based on the suggestions found in this thread:

• Replaced the blue awning bows with dark red (I think this actually looks much better and I like that it will now be a different color than the one on the Pet Shop).
  • Replaced the train windows with the regular 1 x 2 x 3 with pain (This is another improvement imo)
  • Replaced the sand green hinge with light grey since it doesn't matter visually anyways.
  • And of course - the dreaded sand green 1x8s. I used the suggestions on this thread and went with a combo of 1x2(25), 1x6(25), and 1x4(50)

If happen across a decent deal on the blue bows or train windows someday then I will probably get them just so I can keep my model as true to the original as possible, but I'm also ok with the substitutions made and think it will actually look better in the end.

Good to hear! I agree with the substitutions. In fact the only item I would like to fix on mine is the bright blue bows. I currently am using medium blue. I was lucky enough to purchase the last of the sand green with grooves 1x2 last year from BnP. They literally had 70 left!

The Grocer is my favorite of them all. I love the sand green (although I agree that it also looks great in sand blue) and the charming Victorian nature of the building. I wasn't even really into Modulars buildings when I Bricklinked the first one b/c I thought it was such a great looking model and I wanted to try my hand at a sourcing project. I started going through a mini dark age earlier this year though and sold my Grocer and Fire Brigade. I regretted that move almost instantly.

I regretted it much more while bricklinking the 2nd one though. Things were A LOT more expensive this time around. Bricklink is literally wiped out right now - I was able to get a handful of of the sand green w/ groove for $1.25 ea. and had to pay a whopping $1.75 ea. for the rest!!! It murdered my budget, but I wasn't sure if it was best to wait and see if a few stores replenished at a lower price or just grab them now out of fear of paying even more later. So I bit the bullet and paid the $1.75 price as much as I hated to b/c I wouldn't want to build it without them. I can sub the awning and the train windows without much regret - but in my world the Green Grocer must be Sand Green and the grooved 1x2s are essential. I just couldn't compromise there.

I will say this though: I have seen a Grocer built with the the regular Sand Green 1x2's (No Groove) and it doesn't detract from the aesthetic nearly as bad as you might think. I thought it looked pretty nice actually. If anyone is on the fence about paying out the nose for the groove bricks then that may be an option for you. It's a much cheaper way to keep the "Green" in your Grocer.

Edited by CircleK

Hi again!

After a couple of orders on BL and BnP, I am reaching the end of my brick-search-frenzy. However, I am still missing some of the more expensive parts: amongst others - windows.

Can anyone of you give me advice on how to cut down the costs a little bit?

So far, I have replaced:

4035 Window 1 x 2 x 3 Train ---WITH--- 60593 Window 1 x 2 x 3 Flat Front

My other plans would be:

4033 Window 1 x 4 x 3 Train with All Studs Hollow ---INSTEAD OF--- 6556 Window 1 x 4 x 3 Train with Shutter Holes and Solid Studs on Ends

60598 Window 2 x 4 x 3 Frame - Hollow Studs ---INSTEAD OF--- 4132 Window 2 x 4 x 3 Frame

Regards,

Christof

Edited by PhoenixAustria

I want to build Green Grocer and Cafe Corner. Is it still wise getting the pieces via Bricklink? Because the prices for complete sets on market sites like Ebay are insane....

That's why people do it through BrickLink. Much cheaper, especially with a couple minor modifications, such as not using sand green 1x8 bricks...

Read through this whole topic, and you'll get ideas on how to do it easily, and if you want to save some extra money.

Thank you for the responses :D

a few questions:

- the inventory list of those sets on Bricklink: they are complete and have the right parts?

- about the gray pieces: I have grey bricks like these (http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItem.asp?S=805-1) but is that color used in Cafe Corner or Green Grocer? I am confused on how Lego defines dark blue grey/light grey, because in some pictures dark blue grey looks like the grey bricks I have :sceptic: . And what was grey in the '90-ties seems now to be one of the new grey colors Lego has defined. Arrgh!

The shades of greys changed around 2002 or 2003, so those from the 80s/90s won't match the current ones.

The current one is called called "light blueish grey" on Bricklink (opposed to just "light grey" for the old one). Lego calls the current one "medium stone".

Never trust pictures. Lighting throws off colors. Go by the inventories on multiple websites. Those are confirmed by multiple people on the correct color (most often). At the very least, find the last page of the instruction manual, and type in those ID numbers if you are unsure on the exact color.

But as stated, the color palette shifted in the early 2000's, so some of the older colors won't exist anymore.

I do not like this thread. Because of it I have now begun the process of setting up my BL wanted list for the GG and CC. Thanks alot :wink:

I do not like this thread. Because of it I have now begun the process of setting up my BL wanted list for the GG and CC. Thanks alot :wink:

Welcome to the darkside! Mwhahaha

The shades of greys changed around 2002 or 2003, so those from the 80s/90s won't match the current ones.

The current one is called called "light blueish grey" on Bricklink (opposed to just "light grey" for the old one). Lego calls the current one "medium stone".

To me the old grey had a greenish tint to it, the new grey has a bluish tint. Much prefer the new grey, as a more modern look.

It's a website where you will spends 1000's of dollars on stuff that would have cost you 100s if you'd bought it when it came out in the first place.

FTFY ;)

(Fixed that for ya)

It's a reseller marketplace. Like Amazon Marketplace, but for Lego. You can buy long-retired sets and parts, sometimes still new in the box, as well as all kinds of used parts. You can get some really good deals, and you can find sets that resell for thousands of dollars. I'd never heard of it, but I used it and got all the parts to make a 100% correct parts Green Grocer, with all new pieces.

got all the parts to make a 100% correct parts Green Grocer, with all new pieces.

How much did it cost you? Do you know if they sell any amount of bulk pieces, any kinds?

Hi, I recently got the Palace Cinema as a present and am totally bitten by the modular bug! I'm going to try and bricklink some of the ones I've missed, starting with the Fire Brigade (I've decided to skip the GG for now due to the cost of the sand green bricks), am I the only one bricklinking the FB? I'll keep you posted as I go along!