sin

Bricklinking Modular Buildings

I’d love to see photos of your Blue Grocer @TheLegoDr ! Thanks for the follow up and your contributions to this thread (and draining my wallet!).

I’ll absolutely post photos as I go through the build and make changes from the norm. 3 of my last orders arrived today... mainly waiting on LEGO BnP. :thumbup:

Most of my PaB and BnP orders have arrived and I'm sitting at 94% of the pieces needed to start building my White "Green" Grocer.  :classic:

Just waiting on my last BnP order, which hasn't shipped yet (~10 days after ordering... love this service but you've got to be patient).  I'll do a final inventory check and will need to place one, final order (I already know I'm missing a handful of pieces I missed).

December is the target and I've spent more than I thought I would... but it's coming together. :thumbup:

And away we go!  I'll post updates along the way (more frequently on IG) to outline the changes from "standard".  Excited to finally begin my White "Green" Grocer. :classic:

Total cost ended up just a hair under $246 USD with the color change.  Had I not opted for the figs, other more expensive pieces (Viking tiles, Dark Red slopes, etc.), and done a bit better job limiting the amount of orders made, I would have come in under $200.

Looking forward to this one!

IMG_4705_s.jpg

I did the GG last year.

35564740601_411eeae9f6_c.jpgBricklinked GG by Broomhandle Zero, on Flickr

I used Sand green mortar up front, and dark tan on the sides and back. I think it turned out great. for the canopy I used medium blue instead of blue, and purple for the drapes instead of dark red. This cost me around 75.00 to BL.

I also did the FB.. This is 100% piece for piece

34885874533_300d6fe2f3_c.jpgUntitled by Broomhandle Zero, on Flickr

Edited by broomhandle

Very cool, @broomhandle!  Thanks for sharing. :thumbup:

I'm really enjoying putting this together and will update this post once I'm closer to complete.  I will say that the new Corner Garage's lack of tiling bums me out a bit after putting the ground floor together for the GG.  But, easy enough to fix. :classic:

Hi guys,

I am currently building a lego city and I want a street full of the PetShop Townhouses. I have 4 but that's due to buying 3 pet shops second hand and leaving or dismantling the actual pet shop building. I'm not sure if this has been asked before, but is there a file with the pieces just for the TownHouse side of the PetShop.

Thanks

J

I'm not sure if there is a file. One thing to consider - do you care about interior furniture (stairs etc) and interior walls? As you can save quite a bit by building just the facades and rear walls of, say, a block of four town houses in a row. You don't really need the interior walls for stability and you can get away with leaving them out so long as you don't mind seeing through from one house to the next if you look through the windows. If you do, you can still make do with one interior wall only for each house plus one extra for the end of terrace.

I'm OCD about having buildings in there own right and not "cheating" lol. My wallet doesn't like it though! 
I don't mind omitting the furniture, I'll go in and furnish it myself later. I just think it's best if I bulk buy the parts for 4 Townhouses rather than buy them individually on a secondhand market.

Thanks 

J

Might be cool to build them in different colors. Like the painted Ladies in SF.

200px-Haight_Ashbury11.JPG

Edited by broomhandle

3 hours ago, broomhandle said:

Might be cool to build them in different colors. Like the painted Ladies in SF.

Last month I've ordered the parts to build a brick yellow and flame yellowish orange townhouse. I'm curious to see how that will turn out!

The topic Assembling Bricksburg of Xon67 inspired me to go for different colored Pet Shop townhouses, but I'm unsure if I'll go later for pink, blue and other bright colors. I'm afraid they would might be too showy between the other modular buildings. It would be too expensive to go wrong.

19982638328_b954b98e44_c.jpg

10 hours ago, Comon27 said:

I'm not sure if this has been asked before, but is there a file with the pieces just for the TownHouse side of the PetShop.

I've ordered my parts using a LDD file, found in this topic.

looks good! my 2 cents, I feel the 1x2 and 1x4 tile under the windows should be a different color. maybe light grey, or tan.

18 hours ago, broomhandle said:

looks good! my 2 cents, I feel the 1x2 and 1x4 tile under the windows should be a different color. maybe light grey, or tan.

Thanks for the feedback, @broomhandle!  I'll probably tweak it a bit here and there. :classic:  Have you BL'd any others?  CC?

I have just done these 2. I got the CC in 2007, recession hit and LEGO was the last thing I could buy... haha

I think the CC is doable. What I did with the GG is, I downloaded the LXF file, and messed with colors for the side. You might want to do that if you decide to change the color. :)

On 12/12/2018 at 12:53 AM, broomhandle said:

Or maybe a color accent; e.g. dark red like the awning of the ground floor?

Edited by antp

7 hours ago, antp said:

Or maybe a color accent; e.g. dark red like the awning of the ground floor?

Another good one; thanks!  I'll experiment with tan and dark red.  :)

Here is my small row of colored townhouses based on set 10218 Pet Shop:

50179367067_255400f115_c.jpgI

Meanwhile I've turned the green door around, just like was supposed in the instructions!

Nice work. I stocked up on Pet Shop sets.  I have 52 modular buildings,  23 of them based on the Pet Shop residential building.  I’ve taken the liberty of making more revisions than you.  Be careful, you’ll become addicted to building these residential units. :-) 

Edited by Options

On 8/5/2020 at 1:40 AM, Options said:

Nice work. I stocked up on Pet Shop sets.  I have 52 modular buildings,  23 of them based on the Pet Shop residential building.  I’ve taken the liberty of making more revisions than you.  Be careful, you’ll become addicted to building these residential units. :-) 

There can't be enough in any town. All those minifigures need housing! :laugh: It would be fun to see your modifications of the Pet Shop residences! Do you have pictures of them?

I have some reddish brown copies and now I'm building some color variations of the residential building of set 10270 Bookshop. I'll post them here when they all are done.

On 10/4/2020 at 7:25 AM, Wesley D said:

Here is my row of painted rowhouses based on 10270 Bookshop:

50416609383_5587d965cd_c.jpg

Looks great!  Am I correct that the limiting factor is the color of arches that LEGO has in production/available over the bay window?  I believe they now also have that in pale yellow so you could make a 5th ?

On 10/8/2020 at 7:29 AM, SFmuscle73 said:

Looks great!  Am I correct that the limiting factor is the color of arches that LEGO has in production/available over the bay window?  I believe they now also have that in pale yellow so you could make a 5th ?

That 1x3x2 inverted arch (18653) is indeed essential, as is the 2x1x2 slope (60481). The original townhouse has a 2x2 turntable base (3680) above the front door, that was easily replaced by a 2x2 plate with one stud (87580) that exists in multiple colors.

At the moment I'm done with building rowhouses, but I can't garantee I could resist trying other colors when the required combinations would become available! :angel_sing:

Hi guys, sorry to bump an old thread. I unfortunately had to sell my Brick Bank earlier this year due to financial struggles but I'm in a better spot now and I'm wanting to BrickLink it. Are there any part substitutions to make it cheaper? I saw the printed pieces can go for $25+ a piece.

15 hours ago, Gremer2 said:

Hi guys, sorry to bump an old thread. I unfortunately had to sell my Brick Bank earlier this year due to financial struggles but I'm in a better spot now and I'm wanting to BrickLink it. Are there any part substitutions to make it cheaper? I saw the printed pieces can go for $25+ a piece.

99% of the set consists of parts that are fairly easy to source.

Apart from the five printed windows, which will set you back around 115€ or more, the most expensive pieces are

- the Tile, Modified 2 x 3 Pantagonal (22385) in sand-blue - it's exclusive to this set. But you could just replace the sand-blue color on the bank floor with any other color of your choice

- the Minifigure, Utensil Key, Ornamented with 1 Stud  (19118) in lbg, also exclusive to the set. As it is fairly prominent to the exterior, it's hard to replace, especially since the other colors it exists in aren't exactly fitting for the purpose (like lavender or lime  :head_back:)

- the chrome gold pack of coins and ingot (97053) is also very rare, but you can easily replace the coins with any other coins you might have, and e.g. a pearl gold ingot

- finally the 2x4 tile with the printed cheque is expensive aswell, but I think it's neglectable for the set overall

The minifigs themselves are mostly made up of common pieces, so you should be able to get them rather easily.

I went through the process of piecing it together earlier this year, when I finally decided to build that set. I actually did have it still MISB :laugh:, but after seeing the prices it goes for nowadays and then going through my inventory, I figured it would be way more sensible financially to sell that copy and get the missing pieces for my own build.
But I did have quite the head start, as I had over 2/3rds of all the pieces in my collection, and especially since I had bought extras of the bank windows and keys back when the set was on the market. So I only had to spend somewhere around 100-120€ on pieces. I replaced the hexagonal tiles (and subsequently the other sand-blue tiles on the floor) with sand green, and I'm missing the cheque. Otherwise, it's complete.

Edited by ReplicaOfLife

An alternative for the windows can be found here: https://www.steindrucker.com/brick-bank-fenster-10251-custom-druck/