sin

Bricklinking Modular Buildings

After ignoring the LEGO Modulars for a long time I realized it was not too late to step in. Reading this thread was really helpful as the prizes of the first three modulars or just too much for me. I started investigating which parts were essential for me and what possible substitutions could be. Luckily I already have quite a large Lego collection, so I only needed to order 20/30% of the parts for these first three sets. I managed to do a combined order using 7 stores on Bricklink for EUR 250 (excl. shipping) and am really happy with the results.

https://c1.staticflickr.com/9/8529/29278076400_ab26524d48_c.jpg

https://c1.staticflickr.com/9/8504/29278077280_2bd064c082_c.jpg

https://c1.staticflickr.com/9/8042/28942467474_a90545d04a_c.jpg

https://c1.staticflickr.com/9/8129/29487642471_1b92763337_c.jpg

35 minutes ago, monkles said:

I'm guessing it's still cheaper to just buy Pet Shop rather than looking for the pieces alone?

Yes, since Pet Shop is still available in the marketplace and the price hasn't skyrocketed yet. 

I'm collecting parts to add a floor to the Green Grocer, using masonry bricks instead of the grooved ones and 1x4s instead of 1x8s, and even with these substitutions sand green bricks remain CRAZY expensive on BrickLink, despite them being used in a fair amount of recent sets...

Edited by BlockLogo

On 6.9.2016 at 11:06 PM, Captain Pirate Man said:

How cheaply could the TH be bricklinks for? Has anyone done this?

I did it over half a year back. It was not worth it, even with over 500 parts already at hand. Buying a MISB is still cheaper. Same goes for FB, which I also bricklinked at the same time.

Digging up this thread again.

I found this:

http://www.dagsbricks.com/2015/03/lego-techniques-building-green-grocer.html

and have been thinking about building the GG. But a huge issue is the Sand Green. Has anybody here BL this in a different color?

He stated Olive green which could be cool. The biggest issue is this part:

4216.jpg?1

I was thinking of doing it in Olive Green, but it might look odd. 

any thoughts? or has anybody done it in another color?

and I love this BrickStock. good job on whoever did it!!!!

On Thursday, January 19, 2017 at 8:23 PM, BlockLogo said:

I'm collecting parts to add a floor to the Green Grocer, using masonry bricks instead of the grooved ones and 1x4s instead of 1x8s, and even with these substitutions sand green bricks remain CRAZY expensive on BrickLink, despite them being used in a fair amount of recent sets...

I just started looking for pieces to make the GG as well. I've decided on two things. 1) to replace front grooved bricks with masonry ones. Have you completed yours yet? I'd like to see pics of it. 2) To just use grey bricks for the side walls. There is not point, IMO, to spend the extra money on the sand green ones. Can't see them any way.

Yes, that part was never made in a lot of colors.. The rest of this set is easy to BL, its just the Sand Green... to replace it with what?

Olive green might look ok, but then what to use for a 1x2 substitute?

19 hours ago, froggy95 said:

I just started looking for pieces to make the GG as well. I've decided on two things. 1) to replace front grooved bricks with masonry ones. Have you completed yours yet? I'd like to see pics of it. 2) To just use grey bricks for the side walls. There is not point, IMO, to spend the extra money on the sand green ones. Can't see them any way.

Using grey bricks for the side walls is something I have considered as well, just keeping the sand green for the visible parts as my model is modified already anyway and I have no intention if selling it or anything. 

I don't have pics of mine but there are several in this thread from other users, a few pages back. It looks really great with the masonry bricks, imo. Just keep in mind that to make it look right, you'll need to do some more light modifying rather than just evenly substituting the grooved bricks for masonry bricks.

On 4/28/2016 at 7:10 AM, Sven F said:

I'm finally done with the Grocer. subbed 1x8's for 1x4's and grooves for masonry.

If grooves ever make a comeback, i'll replace them.

gg1.jpg

If you are using masonry bricks, and you don't want a ghastly 1-brick wide untextured gap on the left end, you will have to modify the build slightly and use 57 of the 1x2 masonry bricks for the fascade, versus the 48 or so used with the grooves.

Here you go

that actually looks pretty good. I wonder how many are used for the front. and probably any color for the inside....

it really needs to be sand green.... 

Anybody else BL-ing the GG? I have decided to go with the mason front, has anybody else done this? if so, what color for the sides? looks like in the photo above is maybe all mason? I was thinking maybe all white with the some mason here and there...

Sand Green is now available again in 1x6 bricks, those shouldn't be too expensive once they are available on B&P.

I have since torn down all the modulars, I don't care about sets anymore, just parts, but it was a fun experience.

On 04/09/2016 at 9:29 PM, Wesley D said:

Thanks!

It has costed me over 300 euro. I collected my parts mostly from Bricks & Pieces and Pick A Brick.

I have a .lxf file that I did open with a program called BrickHelper (found on these fora) to make a parts list, but I can't copy or print lists in that program.

Hi Wesley, would it be possible for you to repost the file? It's no longer available and I've just finished parting this out ready to build but lost my digital copy. Thanks.

14 hours ago, PriorMarcus said:

Hi Wesley, would it be possible for you to repost the file? It's no longer available and I've just finished parting this out ready to build but lost my digital copy. Thanks.

If you send me a PM with your email address, I'll mail you the file. I can't figure out how to add the file here, it seems only images are allowed.

I have to say there are some modifications in my Cafe Corner:

- most importantly, there was some modification done in the structure around the doors to use modern Lego 4*6 doors.

- I replaced the dark blue bricks by dark stone grey bricks, because it was too hard to find the dark blue arch.

- modern Lego windows replace the older original parts.

- I replaced some turntables by 2x2 tiles with one stud on top, because you can't find the turntables in the correct color.

- Because of my personal taste, I changed the CAFE sign on the sidewalk with dark stone grey tiles and changed the furniture on it. On that side I also modded the wall so the middle window isn't a door anymore. If you want I can add the original bricks for that wall to the LDD-file.

There will soon be another option for building a modified Green Grocer. Dark Green bricks with a groove appear in an unlikely place, a technic set. 42069 Extreme Adventures has 24 of them used to build gerry cans. Sariels review on this set shows them. I checked Bricks'n'Pieces but as the set isn't released until August they're not listed.

Hi everyone,

I finally decided to pull the trigger and collect the bricks for the Green Grocer. I managed to get the 1x2 sand green bricks with groove, but I'll swap out the 1x8 bricks to either 1x6+1x2 or 1x4+1x4 sand greens. (I also managed to get these bricks for an awesome price). I have the lbg 1x6 and 1x8 bricks, and the earth green 1x2 and 1x4 bricks too. Now, I'll need the other pieces, which are mainly basic plates, tiles, some smaller lbg and tan bricks, black roofs, etc. What do you think, how much would it cost to get the rest from online PAB or Bricks and Pieces? (I would like to buy only brand new, fresh parts, that's why I'm asking it.) :) My goal is to spend maximum around 100-150USD for these basic, smaller parts.

Edit: I don't need the minifigures, they aren't that important in this case. :)

Edited by kovacs

I want to bricklink Cafe Corner, but I am going to use different colours. I understand there is a new type of door, so adjustments has to be made. How did anyone else that bricklinked the café corner solved that?

@Fabulandlover The new doors are exactly 3 plates/1 brick higher than the old ones. For Cafe Corner you need to alter the under plates for the door and invert the plates above the door while removing the plate above the door frame. For the side door it was even easier. Adding a brick and removing the bottom plate while just moving the upper plate onto the new bricks. Perhaps I'll have to take a picture for you to illustrate but it was a simple modification. 

On 30/01/2018 at 1:58 PM, kovacs said:

Hi everyone,

I finally decided to pull the trigger and collect the bricks for the Green Grocer. I managed to get the 1x2 sand green bricks with groove, but I'll swap out the 1x8 bricks to either 1x6+1x2 or 1x4+1x4 sand greens. (I also managed to get these bricks for an awesome price). I have the lbg 1x6 and 1x8 bricks, and the earth green 1x2 and 1x4 bricks too. Now, I'll need the other pieces, which are mainly basic plates, tiles, some smaller lbg and tan bricks, black roofs, etc. What do you think, how much would it cost to get the rest from online PAB or Bricks and Pieces? (I would like to buy only brand new, fresh parts, that's why I'm asking it.) :) My goal is to spend maximum around 100-150USD for these basic, smaller parts.

Edit: I don't need the minifigures, they aren't that important in this case. :)

I spent overall about $300 CAD on my green grocer. The cheaper portion of my orders were from LEGO B&P. PAB is better if you are ordering bricks as I find it cheaper. I just completed building Market Street and it wasn't that expensive either. It is mainly just bricks and plates. I modified it with new windows instead of tan bricks at the back, new doors with frames which again was simple substitutions. I took away the hose fencing and just used simple old type fencing that has been around for 30 years. 1x3 tiles for the steps instead of 1x1/1x2 tiles. It went well and looks great. I also changed the grater bricks with the newer brick facade type bricks. I have uploaded two images for Market Street on my flickr account. 

Edited by Wodanis

I've read through this thread a couple times over the past year (thanks @sin and everyone!) and am over half way complete.  I agree with a lot of comments throughout that "the hunt" is definitely a fun part of the experience.  I had about 15% of the elements needed when starting and have spent ~$75 at about the 60% mark.  The last 40% is where it gets dicey. :laugh:

I'm debating a color swap between White, Sand Blue and Dark Red.  My issue with SB and DR are the 1x3s... For those that have done this swap ( @TheLegoDr @Roger_Smith @JayCal and everyone else I can't tag :thumbup: ) did you have any architectural/alignment issues?  What did you replace the 1x3s with?

Thanks!

Decided on a White Grocer and am pretty excited... thanks for all the tips, everyone!  All in price is just under $250, which was just about my max for the color change (including all minifigs, except the correct hair for the blue torso lady).

Most of the remaining colors will stay as-is, but I did pick up tan windows in the hopes they'll pop a bit more (I read/saw that here earlier, thank you), and am going with a white/dark red awning (did spend the extra $ to keep the dark red curtains).

Now it's the waiting game for orders from LEGO (PAB and BAP) and five from BrickLink.

I'll post a few photos once I'm underway... thanks again!  What a journey.

On 10/21/2018 at 3:41 PM, spilledbricks said:

For those that have done this swap ( @TheLegoDr @Roger_Smith @JayCal and everyone else I can't tag :thumbup: ) did you have any architectural/alignment issues?  What did you replace the 1x3s with?

Thanks!

No issues at all, mostly replaced 1x3's with a combination of 1x1's and 1x2's. 1x8's replaced with 1x4 and 1x6. I love my sand blue grocer and mostly have it mirror built to differ from my my sand green one.

On 10/21/2018 at 3:41 PM, spilledbricks said:

I've read through this thread a couple times over the past year (thanks @sin and everyone!) and am over half way complete.  I agree with a lot of comments throughout that "the hunt" is definitely a fun part of the experience.  I had about 15% of the elements needed when starting and have spent ~$75 at about the 60% mark.  The last 40% is where it gets dicey. :laugh:

I'm debating a color swap between White, Sand Blue and Dark Red.  My issue with SB and DR are the 1x3s... For those that have done this swap ( @TheLegoDr @Roger_Smith @JayCal and everyone else I can't tag :thumbup: ) did you have any architectural/alignment issues?  What did you replace the 1x3s with?

Thanks!

Don't think this matters to you, since white bricks should be much easier to source than sand blue ones, but back then I had worked out that it'd cost me less if I used more 1x6 and fewer 1x4 bricks (so not jsut replacing the 1x8s with two 1x4s). So I went through the instructions and basically worked out how many 1x6, 1x4 and 1x1s I'd need (there's lots oif repetition, so this was lessw ork than it sounds like). It more or less worked out in the end, there was one portion on the uppermost level where I was one 1x6 brick short, and used six 1x1s instead :laugh:.

I didn't have any alignment issues - since I had to regroup entire sections anyway, I just took care to always have interlocking bricks.

Thanks @RogerSmith and @JayCal - I really appreciate both of your comments and love the Sand Blue Grocer... thanks again for your contributions to this thread. :thumbup:

I *am* moving forward with a White Grocer (you're right, it's much easier as all bricks are readily available) and will update with my progress once all my shipments arrive.  It's been a long process... it took about a year to get to the half-way mark and, once there, I spent the weekend inventorying my bricks, making a crazy spreadsheet comparing prices against PAB, BAP and BL, and then placing 7 orders to just get it done.  I'm not sure I really want to do this again :laugh:, but I am very excited to actually build it.

Thumbs up, everyone!

I need to get pictures of mine. I can’t believe I did the sand blue grocer like 4 years ago already...

eiher way, I didn’t have any issues either. I ended up not doing a straight swap and like RogerSmith I ended up figuring it out with the right number of bricks, but in new combinations. I also modified mine slightly from straight instructions. It is more symmetrical on mine vs the official set, so that changed the style of bricks needed.

good luck with white. Can’t wait to see it.