sin

Bricklinking Modular Buildings

Market street has some dark blue arches that were only available in that set and the older expert VW bug. Along with the white hoses.

It is the Cafe Corner which used the same arch as the VW, as well as a Bionicle set of the same era: http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItemIn.asp?P=2339&colorID=63&in=A

Market street used another arch, also used by the Cafe Corner and the Bionicle set (+ another) and the more recent Winter Village Market, but not the VW: http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItemIn.asp?P=3308&colorID=63&in=A

Cafe corner has tons of expensive pieces in it.

The doors, the skis, the window boxes & window panels, dark blue pillars and arches, lbg turn tables. Dark red roof pieces (36 of them).

Brick linking that was expensive, I only subbed the window panels and turntables. They would've made it about $200 more expensive than it already was.

I'll try not to repeat the stuff I wrote about BL-ing Market Street. I will say that a lot of the color choices in MS are just bizarre, and while I was 99.9% complete, I ended up not using a lot of the pieces - including some expensive ones - because MS is really not pretty.

Look at the the dark blue arches... they are used on the "lesser" side building, including TWO in the BACK, and the dark blue doesn't make much sense there, especially the front (under the the odd design over the gates, where TWO are used) because it's not even adjacent to the dark blue of the building part.

Moreover, there are parts in medium blue that weren't available before - like the tan arches over the windows in the original can now be found in medium blue, as can the "headlight" bricks that were originally in tan in Market Street. Some of the tan ones are nice, stylistically, but the ones used to hold the bar for the designs over the second floor windows looked terrible. The tan arches over the windows in tan looked terrible, IMO.

You might save money (and debatably have a better looking building) if you read my post about it (link in signature).

I too have caught the Bricklinking a Modular bug...I'm not sure if there is any cure.

My son and I decided on Fire Brigade as the first one to try and assemble and I placed my first orders this morning. I placed 7 BL orders and am attempting to place 1 BnP order. I have no idea what shipping will cost on the BL orders but 3 of them are local pick ups so over all it shouldn't be too bad. As long as shipping is manageable I should come in around the $350 mark which is a pretty decent savings over what the set goes for in Canadian BL stores.

I have had some issues with the BnP website and didn't know if anyone else had experienced the same thing - It allows me to confirm my order but as soon as I got to check-out it dumps me out into the general Lego shop@home website and nothing appears in my cart. I haven't called CS yet as I would like to avoid manually dictating my order to a poor rep but I may have to do that. I have tried 3 times now. Anyone else have that issues ever?

I have had some issues with the BnP website and didn't know if anyone else had experienced the same thing - It allows me to confirm my order but as soon as I got to check-out it dumps me out into the general Lego shop@home website and nothing appears in my cart. I haven't called CS yet as I would like to avoid manually dictating my order to a poor rep but I may have to do that. I have tried 3 times now. Anyone else have that issues ever?

Try using Mozilla Firefox. Shop@home seem to suffer from a Javascript bug that only occurs in Chrome/Safari browsers.

Try using Mozilla Firefox. Shop@home seem to suffer from a Javascript bug that only occurs in Chrome/Safari browsers.

Thanks Peter...i'll try that now. Cross your bricks for me

Don't know if anyone has mentioned this. One f the Lego Friends small sets has two tan 1x6 arches. One cost me 5.99 (or 3.99) at Argos and those are 4.75 each on brick link.

The arches got changed a year or so back, so the two are probably slightly different. The main difference is that the newer one has a higher curve. I used a lot of them on my recent train station, and have some of both types. I don't remember them being anywhere near that expensive on BL though. Do you have a link?

Finally completed Bricklinking Market Street, the last of the 3 Modular Buildings I missed out on during my "dark ages" period, lol. Unlike CC, this one I made some rather significant modifications to. I really just couldn't bring myself to fork out 40+ on those white hose pieces that make the patio railing. I'm actually happy with the modification and interested in the feedback. Used Masonry Bricks in place to the Ridged ones, which was kind of a no brainer after seeing how well it turned out for the GG.

22736545652_29bb1f0ca8_z.jpgMyLegoWall-11-3-15 by

22736545342_e6b454f436_z.jpgMyMarketStreet by

Edited by daniel9x

I think the above version of Market Street looks even better than the original. I like all the substitutions. I’ve never been a fan of this Modular, but this version might persuade me yet! I might do one silly, simple edit. I would put 1x1 round white tiles on the top open studs of the (4) white curved fences. I think it will give it further texture. It really looks great! Good job!

Finally completed Bricklinking Market Street, the last of the 3 Modular Buildings I missed out on during my "dark ages" period, lol. Unlike CC, this one I made some rather significant modifications to. I really just couldn't bring myself to fork out 40+ on those white hose pieces that make the patio railing. I'm actually happy with the modification and interested in the feedback. Used Masonry Bricks in place to the Ridged ones, which was kind of a no brainer after seeing how well it turned out for the GG.

Agreed - there were some pieces that just weren't available when Market Street was designed. Of the many problems I had with the design of MS, not only didn't I like the look of white for what I would expect to be wrought iron anyway, so while I like how yours turned out, I took a different tact and stuck with black. I also felt the railings should match all around, including the railings on the "penthouse" patio. I made a number of other substitutions - some because of expense, some because I just didn't like the original design.

I think the above version of Market Street looks even better than the original. I like all the substitutions. I’ve never been a fan of this Modular, but this version might persuade me yet! I might do one silly, simple edit. I would put 1x1 round white tiles on the top open studs of the (4) white curved fences. I think it will give it further texture. It really looks great! Good job!

It does look better - the original looks unfinished. I never liked it, which is why I didn't buy it when it came out. Only after so many modulars did I regret not getting one of the first (although, while it works as a modular, is really technically not).

The arches over the front top windows can now be found in medium blue, as can the headlight bricks. daniel9x was right about the masonry bricks - good call. I also thought the technique was overused in the original. I also put in a couple of real windows in the back, instead of having just those tan blocks. I don't have all of them, but replaced two of them, and it looks a lot better. Anyway, the link in my signature goes to my take on MS.

After seeing these modified, I am finally contemplating doing one myself. I agree with the substitutions and I will never own an "official" version because of it. But I don't care. The official version is ugly x 10, so I'd rather have something I like to look at vs something that is "needed" for a collection.

I have a lot of projects ahead of Market Street, but I think I will dive into it sometime in the future. I like the black for the iron. Although the new round fence piece works too. I would go the way of the Town Hall railing and only use one maybe? I don't know how it would fit though. But it gives it less depth which may help for the scale.

The above version really looks a lot better than the original. This shows how even a few small changes can improve greatly on a build.

Still, this building will always be the MOC that became a set. And even with part limitations at the time of its release, there's just too much that doesn't make sense and seems random. There are some nice details, e.g. the stairs leading up to the entrance, but if I ever attepmted a building in this style, I'd propably just start from scratch.

I just finished bricklinking Town Hall and Fire Brigade (haven't assembled them yet, though) including all minifigs and the original building instructions. No replacements.

Overall the price was pretty much the same as buying current MISB sets (700,00€ total including shipping costs). I did get a few more spare parts though (around 400 maybe) because of the necessity to reach the minimum buy at some BL stores. So you could say it's slightly cheaper (you don't get the box though).

I just finished bricklinking Town Hall and Fire Brigade (haven't assembled them yet, though) including all minifigs and the original building instructions. No replacements.

Overall the price was pretty much the same as buying current MISB sets (700,00€ total including shipping costs). I did get a few more spare parts though (around 400 maybe) because of the necessity to reach the minimum buy at some BL stores. So you could say it's slightly cheaper (you don't get the box though).

Bwoaah... never thought those rather recent modulars would be thát expensive when bricklinking them...!!!

I bought almost all of my pieces from german BL shops (because of shipping costs). Maybe I could save a few bucks here and there, but I don't think it'll be that much. I was kinda surprised as well. :)

You can put any set into bricklink to part out to sell. Any current set that is available. It will be higher than MSRP every single time I've tried it. Sometimes, by a lot.

Has anybody built the main building of Market Street side by side? Would imagine it look really good doubled in place of the covered courtyard. Especially the Bricklinked version by Daniel9x.

Guys, this is a question from a noob who's about to take on the challenge of bricklinking the Green Grocer. aside from the sand green parts, I think I only have 10 pieces that are not available thru Lego's PAB and Brick and Pieces site. I have zero experience with the bricklink site. Based on your experience is it more economical for me buy most of my parts from the aforementioned lego sites and then get the other 10 from Bricklink. Thanks.

Guys, this is a question from a noob who's about to take on the challenge of bricklinking the Green Grocer. aside from the sand green parts, I think I only have 10 pieces that are not available thru Lego's PAB and Brick and Pieces site. I have zero experience with the bricklink site. Based on your experience is it more economical for me buy most of my parts from the aforementioned lego sites and then get the other 10 from Bricklink. Thanks.

Having done this it's better to get most parts from Lego directly and the odd part you can't through Bricklink. By the time you find a seller with some of the parts you need and factor in fees/shipping costs/exchange rates it can cost a lot more. Start off with the unique parts first, then worry about the 'bricks and plates' afterwards.

A little hint too - if you place a Pick a Brick order and a Bricks n Pieces order together and its over $75 you'll save the shipping on the Brick n Pieces order.

You might spend a lot of time and effort going to multiple BL stores to get the best price on pieces but your shipping costs add up really fast esp from multiple buyers. If you can get almost everything you need from Lego itself, it will be easier and the extra cost of pieces will cancel out your shipping/duty fees I think. At least that's how I do it.

A little hint too - if you place a Pick a Brick order and a Bricks n Pieces order together and its over $75 you'll save the shipping on the Brick n Pieces order.

You might spend a lot of time and effort going to multiple BL stores to get the best price on pieces but your shipping costs add up really fast esp from multiple buyers. If you can get almost everything you need from Lego itself, it will be easier and the extra cost of pieces will cancel out your shipping/duty fees I think. At least that's how I do it.

Thanks Mr. Chubbs. Guess there's no more procrastinating for me, time to finish this thing.

Another question, how long does it take for an order to arrive from LEGO's Pick a Brick order and a Bricks n Pieces?

Edited by muffluvin

Hi, I'm bricklinking Cafe Corner from brick and pieces lego site, but, after gathering about 75€ in pieces it doesn't let me add any more bricks. Everytime I try, when I confirm to check out, it leads me to "page not found". I've tried everything: empty the cache, log out/log in again, safari and chrome, two different devices (imac and ipad) but still the same error. I'm tired, angry and desperate. Has anyone expirienced the same issue? Any hint or solution to this problem?

Hi, I'm bricklinking Cafe Corner from brick and pieces lego site, but, after gathering about 75€ in pieces it doesn't let me add any more bricks. Everytime I try, when I confirm to check out, it leads me to "page not found". I've tried everything: empty the cache, log out/log in again, safari and chrome, two different devices (imac and ipad) but still the same error. I'm tired, angry and desperate. Has anyone expirienced the same issue? Any hint or solution to this problem?

I had that issue of the pieces not showing up in my cart when using Chrome. Switched to Firefox and had no issues. I talked to Lego about it too and they couldn't really give an answer but other than to clear my cache before ordering.

Thanks Wodanis, btw love your works mate. I have sorted out what parts I have like 6 months ago. I gave up on the project when I found out how rare the sand greeen bricks were. If I am to use the tan as a replacement for the sand green believe I have around 60 to 70% of the required parts. What I lack are the medium stone gray bricks and the unique parts that gives the set its character. Mostly cosmetic and interior parts. Right now, I am going thru my collection checking alternative parts I can use. Hopefully, I can start placing the order tomorrow.

Edited by muffluvin