sin

Bricklinking Modular Buildings

I'll assume it's ok to talk about bricklinking the Modulars that have retired since this thread began, or should there be a separate thread for TH, GE, FB, and PS?

I have done TH and FB, but with modifications. The parts are easy to find- but some are rare and expensive.

I got lucky at the pick a brick wall a few times and amassed the large amount of dark red bricks needed for the FB. The other rare and more costly parts are in the garage door and bell tower.

Town Hall has a lots of expensive Dark Orange. The transparent garage door panels for the skylight are somewhat rare. The pyramid brick at the top of the tower is rare, having only been in 2 sets- the other being arkham asylum.

One reason I never bought the TH is that I don't like dark orange, I decided to use Dark Green instead. It has a very different look, but don't care if it's not an exact copy of the original. The build is what I was interested in, and I'm happy with the result.

I would love to see the Town Hall in Dark Green.....!!

After I finished it to this point I ordered enough drk green to replace all the brown profile bricks, just havent got around to swapping them. I'm also hoping TLG someday produces the 1x8, and 1x4 arches in dark green.

19907954973_43df23de7d_c.jpg

20383326949_1807a61340_z.jpgIMG_1034

I've finished bricklinking the CC.

The GG I did a few months ago.

20382027818_86b0c41376_z.jpgIMG_0998

I made only a couple substitutions...

The 2nd floor windows I replaced with window frames. (the 20 white panels are just too expensive)

The 4 LBG turntables I replaced with three 2x2 jumpers and a 2X2 tile. (this makes the tower and coffee sign considerably more flimsy, but looks identical)

Other that that, I went with correct doors, 3rd floor window boxes, roof slopes, dark blue stuff around the door, the skis, everything.

Some of these parts were excessively pricey.

If I ever sell this I will spend the $$$ on all of the correct parts first.

20543812576_11f6ace8aa_z.jpgIMG_1017

But I can't imagine that I'll want to sell it anytime soon, it looks way too nice in my little town.

Edited by Hemlock Falls

gotta agree - CC is one of the nicer builds... am thinking how to build out the interior though.. may nick the idea of putting in BBT

I wonder if the 21110 Research institute could fit in there.

That doesn't really jive with the exterior, but you know, maybe there'd be a bunch of scientists working in there.

Could be top secret, low profile kind of thing.

Or I could try to squeeze my Foxy Blocks Performing Arts Center into the 2nd floor of CC...

18221403809_d5caa56bc4_z.jpgIMG_0086

It's a bit too big to fit inside, but I could modify it I guess.

That'd be awesome!

Edited by Hemlock Falls

I think I have decided to bricklink one of the retired modulars. Probably Green Grocer, as the Cafe Corner seems to have more ridiculously expensive parts. I'll definitely sub out the train windows, and 1x2 sand green modified bricks. Maybe the sand green altogether for a different color, but I have a decent stash of sand green from buying several of the Toy & Grocery Creator sets when I saw them on clearance at a walmart. I remember reading a post in this thread about good substitutions for some rare, expensive parts in the GG and CC, but can't find it anymore.

Can anyone share what other parts in GG other than the ones I mentioned are expensive and what suitable substitutes would be? Or direct me to the post where this was discussed?

Also, are there any sets that would be good starter part packs for this endeavor? Like the aforementioned Toy & Grocery for the sand green, the Bike Shop & Cafe and changing seasons for would be good for plenty of windows and tan, white and some dark red bricks. Any other ones?

Edited by BlockLogo

I finally have my modified 1x2 sand green for the GG. Now i want to buy the rest of the sand green. And replacing the 1x8 with 1x6

I'm sure someone already did this calculation? How much do i need of everything?

Edited by Amien

Thanks. I made some minor changes and I think it's time to make a spreadsheet and start collecting the parts.

tan_grocer_mod3.lxf.png

That looks absolutely brilliant. Could you tell me what colours you've substituted. Some look like dark blue or black there. Finished a 99% accurate CC two months ago. It was a great project, but I spent way too much on it. The only way I can justify a GG now would be with the Masonary blocks or Brick yellow version. This just made my mind up.

Edited by Oafley Jones

I'll assume it's ok to talk about bricklinking the Modulars that have retired since this thread began, or should there be a separate thread for TH, GE, FB, and PS?

Good point. I've changed the title of the topic.

That looks absolutely brilliant. Could you tell me what colours you've substituted. Some look like dark blue or black there. Finished a 99% accurate CC two months ago. It was a great project, but I spent way too much on it. The only way I can justify a GG now would be with the Masonary blocks or Brick yellow version. This just made my mind up.

I substituted all the tan bricks on the 2nd and third Floor exterior as well as the Dark Green ones on the First Floor Exterior with Black,

I replaced all the Sand Green bricks on the exterior with Tan/Brick-Yellow.

I also replaced the blue pieces in the awning with black.

Edited by muffluvin

Good point. I've changed the title of the topic.

Kinda irrelevant, but could you also change it to say 'Bricklinking' instead of 'Brinklinking'? That's been bugging me for a while now... :wink:

So, I am starting on the Green Grocer using parts I have already just to see what I will need to order from BrickLink. So far, off to a bad start. Since most every brick I have are in storage bins and not sorted, just trying to locate basic bricks is proving to be a pain. I had hoped to avoid the mass sort, but it looks like I have no choice...I shouldn't have any problems finding a 1x1 bley tile(!) or 1x2 dark gray tiles.

Interesting- apparently Bricklink has more complete info than Brickset.

http://brickset.com/parts?query=3688

I think Brickset only has inventories since Lego publish these, as they are retrieved automatically, opposed to Bricklink/Peeron inventories which were/are made manually by members/users.

Question for those who used the sand green masonry brick for the GG, how many of them did you use?

Well, Brickset pulls from the LEGO server directly. Bricklink has fan input. With that said, element ID numbers change all of the time, whether the mold has a slight variation or just a new mold altogether for the same part. But that would indicate that sometimes things don't appear complete per Brickset, even though it is for that specific ID number.

Every time I've Bricklinked a set I've only used the parts list from Brickset. If I wasn't sure I had a particular part I'd check what other sets it came in to see if I own them.

I'm now wondering how many parts I bought that I didn't actually need. I'll be crosschecking against Bricklink and Peeron from now on.

This is why it's nice to have this thread. Just when I think I know it all- I learn something new.

I've had no issues with Brickset when putting together lists to remake a set from scratch. Now and then they will list duplicate parts as the element ID will have been updated verses the old one. I try to be a thorough as possible before I begin to order so I weed out any discrepancies like this.

So I'm just starting to get into the Modulars, owning all the ones still currently available on the Lego website, and I was wanting to Bricklink one of them soon just for the fun of it. I used to be big on the UCS Star Wars sets so I knew that when Bricklinking, there were certain 'big ticket' items that you'd need to look out for. 10179's rigging and printed dish and whatnot, the tubes of R2D2's feet, the original X-Wing's Scala potplant pots, etc. I know there is a restriction in the way of no new molds for Modular sets, but what are the exclusive colours of parts and hard to find pieces? I'd like to chuck the LDD's up and fiddle around with substitutions/mod to make Bricklinking easier so is there anything specific to watch out for? I've looked around EB but can't find a thread regarding this yet (this isn't my first EB account, forgot the details on my last one lol). Any help is appreciated,

Cheers, Derpy.

I think that the sand green 2 x 1 bricks with the slot cut out of them from Green Grocer are a bit harder to come by. (Happy to be corrected if I'm wrong! :classic: )

Sand green 1*2 hinge, 1*8 brick 1*6 brick

Town hall black slope piece that looks like a pyramid with the top cut off

Cafe corner dark red slopes are pretty expensive, so are the 2*4*3 white windows and the grey turnable.

Olive green bricks from PR.. but they are available freely for now as it hasn't EOLed.

Pet shop 1*2 sand blue with grooves as well as various 1*X bricks.

Aah yes the Town hall roof. I've thought seeing as the DBG coloured version of that pyramid is a bit more abundant, I might be able to get away with making the whole roof that grey, instead of black, wouldn't look too bad.

Market street has some dark blue arches that were only available in that set and the older expert VW bug. Along with the white hoses.

Edited by redtrooper27