sin

Bricklinking Modular Buildings

What about just using this piece instead of the turntable?

87580.jpg

That should work just as fine in that spot.

2015-04-23_01-22-40.png

Anyone got an alternative build for this turntable base? It's pretty expensive and a good color is essential for the entrance.

Simply use a 2x2 jumper plate, works for 3 out of the 4 turntables

EDIT: Missed the previous post, that's exactly what I meant

Edited by ronenson

Just a stupid question regarding GG, where do the 2x2 dark green brick go? which step are they featured on? thanks in advance

A couple of them can be found in the green band on the wall in the first floor. One to the left of the door if memory serves me right.

Hi All,

I am Leonard, AFOL from the Philippines. I just registered into this forum to say thank you for all the tips written in here. Like most others, I came out of my dark side too late, just enough to snag the GE before retirement. Before reading this thread, I can only dream of owning the Cafe Corner someday. After reading all the helpful posts here, I became inspired to start bricklinking Cafe Corner from scratch. and lo and behold, just 4 hours after reading all the posts, and placing my first order of parts... I have completed all my orders to a tune of around $460 USD (orders still in process). Most of the parts are new from sellers in the US, unless new items are not available. The only substitutions I made are:

Black Door Frame 1 x 4 x 6 Type 1 changed to Type 2

White Panel 1 x 2 x 3 - Hollow Studs changed to the reinforced type

White Window 2 x 4 x 3 Frame changed to the hollow studs type

White Window 2 x 4 x 3 Pane changed to compatible window panes (modern)

The rest of the more expensive parts, I bit the bullet and went ahead with the exact items (black front door, LBG side door, dark blue arches, dark red slopes, lbg turntables etc). I also went and purchased minifig parts. The medium blue one was crazy expensive.

I did not use any tool or spreadsheets to compare and reduce costs. Just old fashioned multiple tabs in browser comparing items at checkout per store. Total of 15 orders.

All in all, I estimate total cost around $500 including shipping to my freight forwarder in the US, and another +$100 USD to ship to the Philippines by air mail. Excited to do the build now and see it in person. Thanks again all for this resourceful thread.

Edited by staticblue

A couple of them can be found in the green band on the wall in the first floor. One to the left of the door if memory serves me right.

thank you,but I found out that they were supporting the top of the roof, instead of these 3 I used 3 white ones as they are hidden it doesn't make a big difference :wink:

Simply use a 2x2 jumper plate, works for 3 out of the 4 turntables

EDIT: Missed the previous post, that's exactly what I meant

the second seems to be one of out 4 :) any ideas?

Thing is that the dark grey 2x2 rest on the 1x1 pilar dar blue.

2015-04-25_02-06-36.png

Edited by Amien

thank you,but I found out that they were supporting the top of the roof, instead of these 3 I used 3 white ones as they are hidden it doesn't make a big difference :wink:

Whooops! Somehow I thought 1x2 bricks... :D

I have also made quite a few swaps like that. For instance, all the hinge bottoms. They do not show, and I figured that the ones supporting the roof triangles was better in light grey - since the roof itself is light grey.

I used sand blue in stead of sand green, and swapped the arches over the windows with medium blue ones. Quite nice!

Just found out that the dark blue arch on cafe corner and market street has plummeted in price. Got 2 new ones for €1.89. Now for the dark blue pillars and dark red roof-thingies...

I am BL'ing FB, TH, CC and MS. My "blue grocer" is completed, and I have all the other modulars except for DO (will buy later this year though). It is going to be a nice street! :) And I find the "hunt" on BL quite satisfying! It's like christmas every time a bubble envelope dumps into my mailbox! :)

@vidarf .. do you have an estimate on the BL of the FB and TH? i assumed it was cheaper to buy them second hand 300 (FB) 400 (TH) euros

@vidarf .. do you have an estimate on the BL of the FB and TH? i assumed it was cheaper to buy them second hand 300 (FB) 400 (TH) euros

Nope, have NO idea! :D I got most of the dark/light bluish gray, dark red and dark orange bricks directly from Lego, and all the other parts comes from BL in a lot of orders. Add to that parts from several other sets... Expensive, but individually affordable enough. I find the parts hunt just as satisfying. Getting a set in a box is fun too, but actually not as much...

So far, I have PC, PR, PS, FB, GG (in sand blue) and GE.

(For newbies: Palace Cinema, Parisian Restaurant, Pet Shop, Fire Brigade, Green Grocer and Grand Emporium).

I have TH (Town Hall) mostly complete, and CC (Cafe Corner) and MS (Market Street) underway. DO (Detectives Office) later this year.

I also got the research institute and have an idea for a building that should fit nicely into the town layout which will incorporate the Research Institute (a bit expanded though).

Hopefully, Lego releases a police station, a post office and a bank. The city needs them! :) The Post Office could be combined with a dentist upstairs and a small apartment on the 2nd floor. I think we need a dentist due to the smugglers of sweets and cakes in the DO! :D

I've now ordered the final parts I needed for CC. Baring any postal issues, I should have a completed set in 2 weeks or so. :wub:

The most difficult part to order? White skis. There are so few new ones on BL now. Fortunately, I realized one advent calendar came with 4 skis and there was a seller selling that advent parted out into subsets, so I managed to get at least those 4 fairly cheap and from 1 seller.

(I generally avoided getting used parts, and for white parts which are easily discolored, getting used parts is a huge gamble unless the seller is REALLY trustworthy IMO)

Edited by Sammael

i had some of these sand green brick. what do you think?

2015-05-02_18-10-23.png

Edited by Amien

There was either another thread, or a post in this thread which I cannot seem to find, where someone had done the grocer in sand green masonry bricks. It was a particular favorite of mine, of the BL'd Grocers that I've seen. If I can locate it, I'll throw in a link...

^

I recently tried an experiment of replacing the Sand Green Modified 1x2's with the new masonry profile brick on the Green Grocer. Here is a link to the Flikr album:

https://www.flickr.c...57650704148036/

My thoughts:

I'm a HUGE fan of the masonry profile brick. I think that is why I like the new Detective's Office so much even though I'm admittedly not much of a Modular guy. That being said... I'm not sure how I feel about them on the grocer. My biggest issue is that it has a run of 1x1s on the left hand side. The smooth finish of the 1x1s sticks out like a sore thumb and kind of breaks 'masonry' effect. It it wasn't for that I think I would love it. The two runs on the sides of the bay look great though. While building it I kept thinking that it may look better to leave the modified 1x2s on the Grocery side, but replace the ones on the bay side with masonry of a different color.

What do you think?

Here it is.

Thanks . I think this is a very suitable change! i wil buy the rest of the bricks

My last 4132 window is here - pending another inventory check, I think I just managed to complete my Cafe Corner - with minimal substitutions! Too bad I won't be able to build it for another week or so due to work :(

Edited by Sammael

Completed acquiring the cafe corner bits except the door ,which i will decide on after building. Lost track of the cost as i have been acquiring the bits to the green grocer at the same time. Thank god i have all the green bricks now as i think the worst of it price wise is behind me. I seriously contemplated doing it in blue but could not do it.

just got to wait for the bits to roll in now.

Edited by Wookiee

Just posted in an other topic my photo's of the CC.

Just finished the 1st floor, but used a different color scheme, which probably totally will cost me around €200 for the CC.

Here is my CC.

fn8rx1.jpg

dfdf1x.jpg

Edited by Dennan

Hello,

As you already know there has been many humble efforts, most of them successful, on the road to Bricklinking this precious modular building. And now i'm on the same path.

Will post building pictures here, also will try to do a frame-lapse build video.

291401_55fd45f6-d681-11e4-a952-9b5587772fba.jpg

I've almost ordered all of the parts, with some exceptions and replacements;

There are some unreasonably overpriced parts as you may know it such as;

6120, minifig utensil,

Got some trans clear colors instead, will try to get a more colorful look.

4222968.jpg

4x5 Front Door Right

I've ordered a Red one instead

4255318.jpg

Gonna skip 4719 Wheel Base for now, as its gonna cost much just for 1 bike.

4558856.jpg

This 3063 Tan 2x3 Slope is also a bit expensive, but managed to replace it, i will share the solution as parts come in with post;

4500453.jpg

2546 birds, completely cosmetic add-on.

I've made a mistake when ordering a little portion of parts and now i have 12 Birds and 0 frogs :P

4221742.jpg

Instead of 2x 16x32 green baseplates which are overpriced i've used a brand new 32x32 tan baseplate, makes no difference actually fits better since almost all my other modulars have this one

4219615.jpg

These Dark Blue ones, they do really hurt.

Since i've changed front door color, i've ordered dark bluish grey, tan and light bluish grey options, gonna try and figure out a good look.

Have most of the dark blue ones but we will see once i start building;

4274536.jpg4519933.jpg4296122.jpg

73179, another rare door piece,

Still trying to figure out a replacement;

4258477.jpg

1 Euro each, needs 36. Pretty painful to order these.

I will either part-out some old sets and order at minimum or change the roof color.

4541382.jpg

Gonna use 10x 1x4x3 frames instead of this one;

4218638.jpg

These are the ones i remember made me question this build.

There are a total of 11 orders for this build, orders also include slopes, plants and flowers for a nice tree project.

Total cost is around 300 Euros, including shipping, tracking and all other fees. This comforts me, may be a bit more than other bricklinked modulars but its the best i can get.

2 orders have arrived,

Got one seller in hospital, asked for some time (think will ship as of 01/06)

Another one will get NRS soon, since no contact is possible,

All others are on their way.

17716537903_f35f061af4_o.png

Also minifigures has been excluded, i got plenty of townsfolk, not gonna spend 25-30 euros for the sake of having exact figures.

2546 birds, completely cosmetic add-on.

I didn't read far enough down before my brain led me to the conclusion that you had gotten over two thousand bird pieces...

Are they just there to act as city birds, pigeons, and such?

Since there are 4 of them and they are arranged symmetrically within the tower, I'd say they are meant to represent statues/ornaments.

I didn't read far enough down before my brain led me to the conclusion that you had gotten over two thousand bird pieces...

Are they just there to act as city birds, pigeons, and such?

Hahahah,

Having 2546 birds in one order :P I just imagined myself unpacking a sihpment and finding out there are hundreds of gray birds inside :)

As Sammael said, you just 4 of em to place on top, kinda ornaments.

For the dark red 75° slope, use 4460b instead of 4460a. They will look identical and the "b" version is cheaper. Also you can order it directly even cheaper from Lego's Bricks & Pieces service for 0.57 € each (and shipping is not too expensive, it is 1.80 € for many EU countries for example) as it was used in the just released set 41075.

For less-common parts still in production it is often a good alternative to Bricklink.

Edited by antp