sin

Bricklinking Modular Buildings

That window didn't exist back then, so they used other systems (panels for CC, train window for GG)

Thanks heaps for the tip. I'm trying not to change to much from the original, although I might go for the part linked above with glass.

The only other change I might make is using a combination of 1x6 + 1x4 to replace the outrageously expensive 1x8 sand green!

Who will be first to do a pink grocer?? Heartlake City needs it!

I hadn't noticed those before. I think tan will be useful for me, so I'll have to look into that whenever they are added to the inventory page.

Who will be first to do a pink grocer?? Heartlake City needs it!

I hadn't noticed those before. I think tan will be useful for me, so I'll have to look into that whenever they are added to the inventory page.

If I had the money to burn, I'd be tempted to do that but my funds are tied up at the moment. Gotta get a few things for my room and I'm debating about splurging on a Lego set and I'm waiting on wave 6 of friends animals, and I still want to snag a video game eventually. Good thing I don't want the "new 3ds xl" or I'd have problems.

I thought about the pink grocer aswell. Tan would make for a very affordable GG. I CAN't however believe those bricks with a groove don't exist in black yet.

I thought about the pink grocer aswell. Tan would make for a very affordable GG. I CAN't however believe those bricks with a groove don't exist in black yet.

They do. They came in a couple of sets in the 1980s.

Sourcing sets from BrickLink/PAB is much more cost effective for small builds/builds with non-specific parts (for example, Santa Fe Super Chief round windows go for about $18-$20). Lego 10158 - parted it for $78, used complete cost $130. And that's bulk parting, I have pieces to make 3 sets just because I was buying all the stock available.

Edited by snowvictim

About bricklinking GG:

I'm thinking in replacing the crazy expensive 1x2 sand green groove bricks for the more traditional plain 1x2 sand green bricks. The difference between these two (you need 50 of them for the GG) is saving 80/90€! Eventually, I could switch to the groove ones if they come back in any newer set.

Has anyone tried this? What do you think?

Quick Update

After a few bricklink orders (just to try) i have around 890/2044 pieces for Cafe Corner, i order 5 more orders to complete the Dark Red Slopes, and with the door changes and windows i hope to have everithing ready for end of November :)

I got hooked as well. I just started bricklinking the CC. Just received 36 dark red slopes from bricks n pieces, as well as that dark blue arch. Im about halfway now. I did substitute some parts for modern versions.

annoyed. Trying to do cc. Have or had everything on order. When I placed a BnP order the front door 73312 was available. Then it said backordered. Now when I look on lego.com it says please contact customer service (will do that tomorrow). I guess I should give up and pay 4x as much on bricklink?? It has been about a month.

annoyed. Trying to do cc. Have or had everything on order. When I placed a BnP order the front door 73312 was available. Then it said backordered. Now when I look on lego.com it says please contact customer service (will do that tomorrow). I guess I should give up and pay 4x as much on bricklink?? It has been about a month.

Their new system is broken. It shows some stuff available that they dont have and never will get. I'm going for modern doors that are 6 tall.

Their system has some glitches. It always has been like that. I've been using it for over 2 years now and I still see the same issues today that I did back then.

I switched mine to 6 high doors. It is rather easy to implement. Plus it lines up with the rest of the modulars better (in my opinion) since all of the doors are the same height. I realize in real life, things vary, but in LEGO (in my life) I want everything fairly cohesive. Next step, kragle.

Gongoro73- I've seen a flat fronted GG before. It definitely was not as appealing as the official grooved front. They add a surprisingly high amount of detail for some reason. But that isn't a bad idea. They are releasing that groove brick in new colors this next year, so maybe sand green will make a comeback? That was part of the reason I did a Sand Blue grocer back in May. Price was part of it, although I had most of the sand green bricks anyway, but I ended up just liking the sand blue color significantly more than sand green. I then ended up just converting the Pet Shop into a sand green version. I like that much more.

One day, I'll finally get pictures of them...

Edited by TheLegoDr

Gongoro73- I've seen a flat fronted GG before. It definitely was not as appealing as the official grooved front. They add a surprisingly high amount of detail for some reason. But that isn't a bad idea. They are releasing that groove brick in new colors this next year, so maybe sand green will make a comeback? That was part of the reason I did a Sand Blue grocer back in May. Price was part of it, although I had most of the sand green bricks anyway, but I ended up just liking the sand blue color significantly more than sand green. I then ended up just converting the Pet Shop into a sand green version. I like that much more.

Thanks for your answer, LegoDr. Yeah, I agree groove bricks add detailing, and sure, it's more appealling that way, but I'm confident that sand green groove bricks will reappear sooner or later. Plan B could be switch the plain bricks for the groove ones after building little by little if TLG don't bring them back.

I just need to build GG... :)

Edited by Gongoro73

In searching ebay completed auctions, I've seen complete, used CCs going for less than $600US. No box, but all original parts. Is it still cheaper to bricklink the CC?

After reading several pages about bricklinking CC and GG, the thing that comes to my mind is that when you find a color you really like for a reasonable price, buy as much as you can afford for future buildings. Sand green has always been one of my favorite colors; there was a lot of that color for sale when Harry Potter sets became popular around 2006 or so. I picked up a ton of those bricks, and now can build anything I want in sand green. Have done the same with sand blue. So start collecting the colors you like when they are not expensive on BL, and you will have the stock needed to build in the future.

It is exciting to read how many people have brick linked these modular sets! Keep up the wonderful posts!

Their new system is broken. It shows some stuff available that they dont have and never will get. I'm going for modern doors that are 6 tall.

Their system has some glitches. It always has been like that. I've been using it for over 2 years now and I still see the same issues today that I did back then.

I switched mine to 6 high doors. It is rather easy to implement. Plus it lines up with the rest of the modulars better (in my opinion) since all of the doors are the same height. I realize in real life, things vary, but in LEGO (in my life) I want everything fairly cohesive. Next step, kragle.

Thanks for the comments. Confirmed with customer service that the front door is not going to happen from them. Nice enough to add a couple hundred vip points to the account which almost covers me ordering from bricklink :)

In searching ebay completed auctions, I've seen complete, used CCs going for less than $600US. No box, but all original parts. Is it still cheaper to bricklink the CC?

Sure it is. I've spend 100 euro so far, and I expect to spend another 150. This doesn't mean that I have all original parts, but since thats half of the cost, I don't mind.

Sure it is. I've spend 100 euro so far, and I expect to spend another 150. This doesn't mean that I have all original parts, but since thats half of the cost, I don't mind.

Thanks, but I was looking more for an 'apples to apples' comparison.

Has anyone got a photo of the Cafe Corner using the 20 x 1x2x3 panels with side support (the cheaper part) and also the 1x4x3 Window frame instead of the expensive 2x4x3 frame?