BrickBuilder3213

What if... LEGO Racers (Video Game) Sets Actually Existed?

Do you guys remember the game known as LEGO Racers? The racing game that featured many memorable LEGO characters racing for the opportunity to become the best racer in the whole of LEGOLAND?

Well... What if LEGO released sets that are based on the vehicles and tracks that you see in the game? Would you buy them for the sheer nostalgic factor? Or would you buy them because they have some very interesting and wacky builds?

I don't know about you guys and the people at the LEGO Company... But I'd love a Rocket Racer minifigure and car... ;3

Edit- Also, not ALL of the racers have to be the racers from the game. There could be some newcomers from the more recent LEGO themes, such as the Green Ninja (Ninjago), Stormer (Hero Factory), Benny (The Lego Movie), Laval (Chima)... There's so many possibilities!

Edited by BrickBuilder3213

I believe BrickBuilder meant the likes of, say Captain Redbeard or Gypsy Moth. Possibly even Rocket Racer as well. But what about obscure characters from Racers 2 such as Frankie Solido or Baron Rosso?

I hate to be a bit of a downer, though, but some of the part connections for some of the Racers (1) vehicles are illegal, or impossible. King Kahuka's racer comes to mind, as well as practically all of the secondary racers for each circuit. Of course if Lego were to make such a "Legacy Theme" in the future, I'm sure some new molds would be made to accommodate.

Edited by Penkid11

I meant the Boss Racers or the champions of each circuit. (Captain Redbeard, King Kahuka, Basil the Bat Lord, Johnny Thunder, Baron Von Barron (Sam Sinister), Gypsy Moth and Rocket Racer (both variations).

And, yes... I actually know about the illegal connections. But some people have found ways around them. ^w^

The only way that could conceivably happen is if a new Lego Racers-type game featuring modern themes instead of ones from the late '90s came out. As cool as that could be, I'm not convinced of the sales potential of a crossover racing theme, considering Lego's dedicated racing themes (World Racers, etc.) have had iffy sales. And frankly, I don't know how interesting such a theme could be. Certainly you'd have some potential for interesting models... but would they outclass the models for their respective themes? Would a Ninjago racer of a standardized size be better than the vehicles within the theme that are not burdened by such constrictions?

Don't get me wrong, I'd love a new Lego Racers game, especially if you were no longer required to use a prefab chassis and the physics were better. But I don't know if it would make a good theme.

Well, a lot of the sets could have a lot of potential of a certain gimmick was used...

2-in-1.

You'd be able to build the original (land-based) vehicle, as well as a completely different variant for racing in the sea or in the air, while still using the same parts.

This would not just go for the newcomers, because the original racers' vehicles would also receive the 2-in-1 treatment. Even Rocket Racer's car would have another variant! ^o^

So TGL never released a set for the game(the first one) back then? *huh* This seems absurd by today's standard, just look at the amount of advertisement The LEGO Movie gets.

Too bad they never made the Rocket Racer minifigure(the first one again, I've only played the first one), I too like to get one now just for the nostalgic feeling, though if TGL did released one it's going to be hard to find and expansive :sick: .

So TGL never released a set for the game(the first one) back then? *huh* This seems absurd by today's standard, just look at the amount of advertisement The LEGO Movie gets.

Too bad they never made the Rocket Racer minifigure(the first one again, I've only played the first one), I too like to get one now just for the nostalgic feeling, though if TGL did released one it's going to be hard to find and expansive :sick: .

Back in those days there weren't sets based on the games, since the games themselves were already based heavily on the sets. Lego Island featured Town sets, Lego Loco featured Train and Town sets, and Lego Racers featured a mishmash of currently-running themes. This was one of Lego's first attempts at a video game, so it's not surprising that they played it safe in terms of product tie-ins.

Of course, not much has changed. Lego Universe only got a few promotional sets, and when Lego City Undercover was released, Lego just integrated some of the characters into the current City sets (and then put the sets back into the game). The Lego Movie is the first media property of Lego's to get this level of attention, and for a good reason: its audience is far wider than any video game of Lego's ever has been.